Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 11-04-2021, 02:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
As you duly noted, it is not clear how much of the Buddha's teachings were preserved.

However, it is my feeling that there is a sufficient amount of translated teachings of the Buddha available at this time to serve as a very good guide to the process of "awakening".

It's not the Quantity but the Quality...
Old 11-04-2021, 03:29 PM
Master
What metric are using to gauge quality?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 11-04-2021, 04:08 PM
AbodhiSky

the sutta's were not written by buddha. it's kinda sad in a way that the authors did not write down their names. from the little i know of the history of buddhism, buddha himself seemed to be a strict monk type later in life. in fact, the history of the schools of buddhism support this. the whole movement of early tantric buddhism was an open rejection of "buddha's rule based buddhism." the strict rules of conduct. no sex or drinking, no possessions etc. that's why those early tantric buddhist's built sex into their beliefs and practices and openly used intoxicants and openly rejected buddha's view of strict monasticism. just google early tantra buddhism and read the history. they were against those who followed buddha's monastic rules and basically thought, we know a better way to enlightenment. this was very early after buddha passed, so even here is evidence people were turning buddha's "teachings" into whatever they wanted.

i don't think many would actually be into buddha's "teachings" now days as he was very strict about what one did all day if one looks up the rules he laid down for his followers or monastics. i think he even told them what they could think and talk about during the day. but then like those early tantric buddhist's, people make buddhism and "buddha's teachings" into whatever suits them. western zen for example. people may be in a romantic relationships, drink wine with dinner, not practice having no possessions as buddha's early monastics did under his rules, do mindfulness and try to be non-attached to thoughts, and think, "oh i follow buddha's teachings." this is not actually a lifestyle buddha endorsed.
Old 11-04-2021, 04:16 PM
Master
What has caused my attention is that Eastern Buddhist hope that some day, in their life, they can become a monk or nun even if it is for a little while whereas such aspirations are a rarity in the West.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 11-04-2021, 06:32 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky
the sutta's were not written by buddha. it's kinda sad in a way that the authors did not write down their names. from the little i know of the history of buddhism, buddha himself seemed to be a strict monk type later in life. in fact, the history of the schools of buddhism support this. the whole movement of early tantric buddhism was an open rejection of "buddha's rule based buddhism." the strict rules of conduct. no sex or drinking, no possessions etc. that's why those early tantric buddhist's built sex into their beliefs and practices and openly used intoxicants and openly rejected buddha's view of strict monasticism. just google early tantra buddhism and read the history. they were against those who followed buddha's monastic rules and basically thought, we know a better way to enlightenment. this was very early after buddha passed, so even here is evidence people were turning buddha's "teachings" into whatever they wanted.

i don't think many would actually be into buddha's "teachings" now days as he was very strict about what one did all day if one looks up the rules he laid down for his followers or monastics. i think he even told them what they could think and talk about during the day. but then like those early tantric buddhist's, people make buddhism and "buddha's teachings" into whatever suits them. western zen for example. people may be in a romantic relationships, drink wine with dinner, not practice having no possessions as buddha's early monastics did under his rules, do mindfulness and try to be non-attached to thoughts, and think, "oh i follow buddha's teachings." this is not actually a lifestyle buddha endorsed.

When you were a Benedictine Monk did you have Monastic Laws ?

Benedictines make Three Vows: Stability, Fidelity to the monastic way of life, and total Obedience. Promises of Poverty and Chastity are also implied....
They live by the RULE of St Benedict in a modern way, so the RULE has been loosened to suit different times....

All Monastic Orders have Rules and Regulations.....
Old 11-04-2021, 06:49 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Waters
I personally don't get into the 6 realms or the 10 realms or any other metaphysical speculation in accordance with the Buddha's Noble Silence on such matters. To the best of my understanding, the various "realms" (states of consciousness) were not part of Buddha's teachings.

I focus more on the methodology to directly experience those "states" myself. I think that the next "Buddhism for Sufis" group discussion will start to shift into the HOW in keeping with the Buddha's teachings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123

Fancy that.

It seems to me, meditation practice naturally leads to the experience of the Jhanas, and I found it interesting to listen to the descriptions of them and compare notes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCLT64SLYZk&t=5s

Old 11-04-2021, 07:08 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient
Fancy that.

It seems to me, meditation practice naturally leads to the experience of the Jhanas, and I found it interesting to listen to the descriptions of them and compare notes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCLT64SLYZk&t=5s

You might enjoy this Article Sentient,

https://www.lionsroar.com/entering-the-jhanas/
Old 11-04-2021, 07:15 PM
Master
Quote:
Benedictines make Three Vows: Stability, Fidelity to the monastic way of life, and total Obedience. Promises of Poverty and Chastity are also implied....
They live by the RULE of St Benedict in a modern way, so the RULE has been loosened to suit different times....

How does this justify or rationalize Tantric Buddhism as the poster mentioned?

Old 11-04-2021, 07:39 PM
Master
Quote:
You might enjoy this Article Sentient,

https://www.lionsroar.com/entering-the-jhanas/
Thanks - yeah, the same bloke Leigh Brasington.

You just enjoy the texts more, whereas I go for the videos first.

I totally agree with him, although my experiences have been somewhat different.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:50 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient
Thanks - yeah, the same bloke Leigh Brasington.

You just enjoy the texts more, whereas I go for the videos first.

I totally agree with him, although my experiences have been somewhat different.

Experiences are personal

Yes I very very seldom watch Videos, I'm a ' BookWorm '