Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 07-05-2020, 01:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketzer
What did he just say! Go get em Sky!
https://youtu.be/VcgPMxbgapE?t=62

What colour 'Wooden Spoon' would you prefer
Old 07-05-2020, 01:43 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Yes I am sure from what I have been taught. Theravadins believe that all Enlightened beings are Arhats, but that just one in each eon is a
Buddha.

One Buddha for each Eon, as Christians have one Pope at a time....
Is that why Pope Francis is the current Pope while Pope Benedict XVI is still alive?

One time in history, 1410, there were 3 Popes at the same time.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:12 PM
ketzer

Quote:
What colour 'Wooden Spoon' would you prefer
Don't care, as long as you shoot yourself out of a canon to get it there.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:18 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Yes I am sure from what I have been taught. Theravadins believe that all Enlightened beings are Arhats, but that just one in each eon is a
Buddha.

Christianity is included under the umbrella of Pantheism, though we do give it some degree of autonomy..... so at least two Popes.
Better watch yourself as Buddhism is under there too.
I think the Pope of Pantheism would be by default a Buddha as well.... wouldn't you think? Maybe a canon is needed to make it so? Or how about a Papal Bull? Pope-Buddhas specialize in those. If anyone objects, we can shoot you out of a canon at them, with a big red wooden spoon. Canons are such useful things... it's true, there is even a canon that says so.... if not, there will be.... in fact, consider it done. Oh how I love to shoot the bull.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:27 PM
Master
Quote:
Buddha.

That would make sense for Theravada. As they believe one can't achieve Buddha hood in ones lifetime.

Outside of Theravada the belief is very different.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:23 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Is that why Pope Francis is the current Pope while Pope Benedict XVI is still alive?

One time in history, 1410, there were 3 Popes at the same time.

I presume you are referring to the FORMER Pope Benedict who is now known as Pope Emeritus. One Pope only....

The Great Schism or Great Western Schism, in the history of the Roman Catholic Church, from 1378 to 1417 was driven by politics and the selected Pope's where not chosen legitimately.

Only one Pope is allowed according to Papal rules......

' Thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my Church '

Not, Thou art Peter, Pedro and Petros and upon this rock I will build my Church

The Rock is under St. Peters Basilica....
Old 07-05-2020, 04:26 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
That would make sense for Theravada. As they believe one can't achieve Buddha hood in ones lifetime.

Outside of Theravada the belief is very different.

Which Schools believe there's more than one Buddha in each Eon ?
Old 07-05-2020, 05:49 PM
ketzer

Quote:
I presume you are referring to the FORMER Pope Benedict who is now known as Pope Emeritus. One Pope only....

The Great Schism or Great Western Schism, in the history of the Roman Catholic Church, from 1378 to 1417 was driven by politics and the selected Pope's where not chosen legitimately.

Still a pope, I think I may have to give this one to John, .... unless you are willing to get into that canon.
Anyway, were all the Popes not chosen legitimately or just two of the three? Who is the ultimate earthly authority for what rules are legitimate or not for the Holy Roman Catholic church?
So Peter is the rock (although he denied Jesus three times so... not sure how solid a rock he is) but that doesn't mean there can't be more then one Pope. Maybe they needed three popes in case the first two denied Jesus! Think about that!
Given that the Pope and those Roman Bishops decided what would be and not be in the Bible, how do you know Pedro and Petros didn't get edited out? Maybe Jesus even said Ketzer was the rock upon which he would build his church... were you there, can you prove he didn't, I bet he did?
This may come as a surprise, but those Popes weren't always the most honest and holy of men. Many of them were just the Pope because the controlled the canons.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:00 PM
Master
Quote:

So which Pope is no longer a Pope? They both are living.

What are the papal rules on how many Popes can exist at one time?

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:04 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Even the mysterious Five Treatises of Maitreya appear to have no date as to when they were originally given which might provide support of 2 Buddhas living at the same time.

Maitreya and Gautama Buddha both resided in Tusita Heaven. Did they both have overlapping residence in Tusita Heaven?

And did they overlap residence in Tusita Heaven with Kāśyapa Buddha?
Theravada Buddhism believes in Maitreya. But in the West it appears he is rarely mentioned. Same holds true for Kāśyapa Buddha.

It would be interesting to find out how many Buddhas spent overlapping time in Tusita Heaven with other Buddhas.