Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 28-07-2021, 07:51 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky
yea to be a teacher you need to be "Swami Cobbleranadaji"

Thanks for the tip.

Old 28-07-2021, 07:51 AM
Master
Quote:
yea to be a teacher you need to be "Swami Cobbleranadaji"
Why ?......
Old 28-07-2021, 08:03 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobbler's Apprentice
Thanks for the tip.

The Cordwainers Apprentice would have paid better
Old 28-07-2021, 08:18 AM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Didn't they explain the change of name, strange.

we were a small community of serious contemplative monks who were pretty much in silence and prayer 24/7. no one really "chatted" about such things. i went weeks without saying one word. you only talked when you were allowed to and that was very rare.

so there, talking or asking about such things would have been strange. talking about anything would have been strange. we simply did not talk about things or talk at all most days.
Old 28-07-2021, 08:25 AM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
I believe he did have an interesting life in his younger days, having something to do with some mass conversion of untouchables to Buddhism in India.

The wiki page on him covered a lot of his life.
Old 28-07-2021, 08:31 AM
Master
Quote:
we were a small community of serious contemplative monks who were pretty much in silence and prayer 24/7. no one really "chatted" about such things. i went weeks without saying one word. you only talked when you were allowed to
Benedictine Monks don't take a Vow of silence so it must have just been a personal choice in the Community.
Old 28-07-2021, 08:49 AM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
when he attended the ordination of an old friend. Merton (or Father Louis), with another mate, sat opposite a group of nuns and became rather tiddly on imbibing a few drinks.

seems like an odd story, sure it's true? do you know the source of that story?
Old 28-07-2021, 08:57 AM
Master
Quote:
Why does it sound odd ?
Many Christian Monks/Bishops/Priests etc: have Alcohol related problem.
Old 28-07-2021, 09:05 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:

It's actually straight from the horses mouth. The story is told by Merton himself in a letter to a friend, James Forest, which can be found in Volume 1 of his collected letters, "The Hidden Ground of Love."

(He tells of "focusing uncertainly on the faces of the four nuns opposite"!!)
Old 28-07-2021, 09:21 AM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
It's actually straight from the horses mouth. The story is told by Merton himself in a letter to a friend, James Forest, which can be found in Volume 1 of his collected letters, "The Hidden Ground of Love."

Thanks I will look it up. It's interesting to me as I lived in a small community and such things would not have been possible. I think his community was fairly large at the time he lived there and maybe he was afforded certain freedoms due to his popularity as a writer and lecturer? Larger communities also often were less strict. Merton was a Trappist and they typically were under "stricter" rules than most Benedictine communities but ours was small and followed the Rule Of Saint Benedict very firmly. I was thinking, ok he had to get permission from his Abbot to go....then he was publicly drinking or drunk? Seems so out of character for him but I will check out what he wrote. I'm curious about the time period as well. I think he got permission to leave the monastery at some point to study Buddhism or Zen.