Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 10-07-2021, 05:34 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Even 'practicing meditation' might be a misnomer......... To quiet the mind is in of itself a hard task to do because the mind wants to remain active. The harder one tries to quiet the mind, the further they get from quieting the mind. A lot of times, if not all the time, it happens without the person realizing it.
It's quieting the mind, and letting the thoughts go. Not grasping them.
But once we are in a single-pointed concentration and we feel that our awareness goes beyond the mind, then we enter Samadhi / trance state, and it's clearly noticeable.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:59 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume
It's quieting the mind, and letting the thoughts go. Not grasping them.
The Buddha taught different types of Meditation and not all revolve around letting thoughts go.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:25 PM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Karma according to The Buddha is neither bad nor good,

Depends on what context you are thinking of. Buddha sure spent a lot of his time and energy telling his monks what not to do and what was bad. You do not embrace your early religious teachers teachings and have posted you see them as bad or in your words "disgusting" so those karmic experiences were bad to you unless you see the value in them, why you needed to experience those then they are good and wonderful teachings! All karma drawn to those that share the negative energies. The links are amazing really between what we experience and what we are. But I'd guess most will not become aware of those links. It takes self awareness that takes thousands of incarnations to develop.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:44 PM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
To quiet the mind is in of itself a hard task to do because the mind wants to remain active. The harder one tries to quiet the mind, the further they get from quieting the mind.

Words just point badly at truths most times. The whole "trying" thing never works as one is already fully there. Enlightenment is not something we get. It is something we allow to be. We are the only thing preventing it's presence for the main reason we are focusing on non-sense. The whole idea of "becoming" is a myth created by ego. Ego wants to become, we don't. We are already there. But we spend our time listing to mind, to ego. It is ego that tells us we need to do something, achieve something, seek something, try to change etc.

We already have it, we already are it, it is already fully here now. Why don't we experience it? Why don't we perceive it? What voice in you tells you these things? Is it you? Why do we listen to it?

Not only let go of the one who is talking, let go of the one who is watching the one talking as well. Just be nothing and nobody with no self centered agenda and then you are one with everyone else. Love yourself unconditionally. Accept yourself as perfect in everyway right now.

There is nothing to do. Don't let ego tell you otherwise! But yes there are somethings we should stop doing. Listen, watch, be aware and don't let our mind create any spiritual chores for us, tell us we need something more, tell us there is something more we can find. When you are beyond the one who seeks, when that is let go of, one finds it has always been here.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:44 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky
Depends on what context you are thinking of. Buddha sure spent a lot of his time and energy telling his monks what not to do and what was bad.
Cause and effect 'Karma' is neither good nor bad. There's plenty of Teachings online which could explain it for you.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:51 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky

There is nothing to do. Don't let ego tell you otherwise! But yes there are somethings we should stop doing.
And to stop doing is a doing. You are using one action ' a doing ' to stop another.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:09 PM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
Cause and effect 'Karma' is neither good nor bad. There's plenty of Teachings online which could explain it for you.

Then why did you post some teaching you experienced as a child was "disgusting?" I guess you don't view what happens to you as karma? Maybe you don't believe in karma? I was never taught such a thing. Why were you?

Everything that happens to you is a result of what you are drawing to yourself. But then this is just a belief. One can believe anything they want. One can choose to believe that "teacher's" teachings were bad as opposed to I am doing the same thing they are in my own way.

Look at what you posted here. You are misinterpreting teachings. What did that teacher do in your childhood? Misinterpreted teachings. The karmic links are amazing.

I have my own. Everyone does. Look at the bad things you have experienced in life. Find the links to aspects of your personality. The rabbit hole goes pretty deep.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:26 PM
AbodhiSky

One belief I have found that leads to very bad karma is not believing in right and wrong, or good and bad. Two people I know that carry those views both had terrible karma. The karma was very much the same as well. Same beliefs/views = same or similar karmic effect.

It's like all of the people who have massive amounts of plastic surgery. I would assume the karmic affect from that would be pretty similar in all. What it is I don't know.
Old 11-07-2021, 05:38 AM
Ascender
Quote:
The Buddha taught different types of Meditation and not all revolve around letting thoughts go.
Ahah, you're so funny! I understand now some reactions people have with you!

You need to read someone's post as a whole, but not cut every bit of sentence to tell "this is wrong, the Buddha said blabla".
There is usually a message, a conclusion, a point made in a discussion or post that is much more important than "that bit of sentence could be incorrect".

There are plenty of things that are understood first broadly, details don't matter. Then once we have a broad idea of what it is about, we go to the details.

I don't know what your intention is, but this way of communicating can be very counterproductive.

I don't know if you understand analogies, but ... let's try!
Say you're lost in a jungle and you need to climb one mountain nearby.
You can't see the mountain yet, trees are too big.
At this moment, you don't care of any detailed instruction about how to climb the mountain.
Say you walk a bit, and you can see a bit of rocks far away.
Are you sure it's the right mountain to climb ?
Can we climb any mountain around, or only one works ?
And then there are plenty of different people.
Some have climbed the mountain, but came back.
Some are curious about the different ways of climbing but don't want to climb.
Then there are people that found the mountain, but don't know how to climb.
For them you may be the perfect teacher because you studied the texts and they say precisely what to do.
Some had bad teachers and don't want to hear about them anymore.
Some are ... ahah man, take it easy, they're making their own map!!
Some claim that there are helicopters now, satellite views
Some power their body in many different ways that were not available at Buddha's time
Is that in the sutras? I'm not sure!

And then, as an explorer, I'm now wondering.
Who's that teacher that seems to know every bit of climbing?
Has he even tried to climb? How high has he got? Is he alright?
Take it easy!
Old 11-07-2021, 06:34 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume
Ahah, you're so funny! I understand now some reactions people have with you!

You need to read someone's post as a whole, but not cut every bit of sentence to tell "this is wrong, the Buddha said blabla".
No problem, Because of space you can't Quote more than three lines so I try to choose what's incorrect and point to what The Buddha is said to have actually taught.

' grasping the Dharma wrongly was like grabbing a snake by the wrong end. And "Their wrong grasp of those teachings will lead to their long-term harm & suffering.
Water Snake Sutta.