Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 04-07-2021, 04:50 AM
Master
I guess it is a Christian calendar because it marks the years before and after Christ. However, not invented by Christians, just adapted form earlies less useful calandars and rewritten as 'the year of our lord', as they used to say.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:51 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I guess it is a Christian calendar because it marks the years before and after Christ. However, not invented by Christians, just adapted form earlies less useful calandars and rewritten as 'the year of our lord', as they used to say.

That is indeed a key point --- that the "Christian calendar... marks the years before and after Christ".

The Muslim calendar dates from the Hejira (AD 622).

The Jewish calendar dates from the "creation of the world". Their year 5781 began at sunset on 18 September 2020 and will end at sunset on 6 September 2021.

I'm not sure about other calendars. If anyone knows, feel free to share.

As long as everyone agrees on the dates, any calendar should be functional.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:40 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem

Pope Gregory commissioned and authorized the calendar which was invented by Aloysius Lilius (Catholic astronomer?) and approved by Christopher Clavius (Jesuit mathematician and astronomer).

Above information was found on the internet (Wikipedia, calendar.com).
Old 04-07-2021, 07:13 PM
Master
I guess Wikipedia is the authority......

Talking about calendars, how does the Sumerian Calendar fit into the scheme of things?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 04-07-2021, 08:12 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
I guess Wikipedia is the authority......
You got me.
I just reached out for the low hanging fruit. If no one wants to climb higher to prove me wrong, then we will all have to eat it.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:43 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
Religious Discrimination has been going on for centuries you only have to look at countries that still practice it,
to me Religion is the cause of all wars.
one of the most well known infamous warlords, Gingus Kaun, was on of the first people to advocate freedom of religion. All of the war's he fought he advocated unity and freedom of religion. Those were his main goals.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:05 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
one of the most well known infamous warlords, Gingus Kaun, was on of the first people to advocate freedom of religion. All of the war's he fought he advocated unity and freedom of religion. Those were his main goals.

Do you mean Genghis Khan?
Old 06-07-2021, 01:08 PM
Master
Quote:

Towards the end of his life, Genghis Khan consulted the Taoist masters.

Also, the Mongol Emperor Tamerlane is buried at the foot of his spiritual master in Samarkand (Uzbekistan) and that surprised me when I entered his tomb there.

The Mongols did seem to be somewhat tolerant of other religions.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:49 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
Towards the end of his life, Genghis Khan consulted the Taoist masters.
Also, the Mongol Emperor Tamerlane is buried at the foot of his spiritual master in Samarkand (Uzbekistan) and that surprised me when I entered his tomb there.
The Mongols did seem to be somewhat tolerant of other religions.
Genghis Khan's tomb??? Or Tamerlane's. I don't know as much as I would like to know about Genghis Khan.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:38 PM
Master
Quote:
Genghis Khan's tomb??? Or Tamerlane's. I don't know as much as I would like to know about Genghis Khan.
I was actually in Tamerlane's tomb in Samarkand. While there are some who say that they have discovered Genghis Khan's tomb, those claims are disputed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_of_Genghis_Khan

It has been widely reported that Genghis Khan met with Taoist masters at the end of his life. However, there is no disclosure of details in the Mongol chronicles.

However, there is a book, "Tales of the Dancing Dragon, Stories of the Tao" by Eva Wong, where there is a chapter dedicated to the encounter between Genghis Khan and the Taoist Master Qui Changchun.

While the book contains fascinating details of the encounter that I could not find online, there is a brief Brittanica reference to the connection between Changchun and Genghis Khan.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Chang-chun