Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 28-06-2021, 09:12 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
Religious Discrimination has been going on for centuries you only have to look at countries that still practice it,
to me Religion is the cause of all wars.
Namaste

This is a strange thing to say in a spiritual forum. Isn't religion spiritual?
Old 28-06-2021, 09:36 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Not much difference between being Protestant and Catholic as far as I can see. Others will disagree.

I agree. Apart from some theological differences that matter to the clergy, lay Christians share the same Jesus story. But what Bunny said below is true. I remember some talk about President Kennedy being a Catholic. Why is that? Is it because Catholics are not part of mainstream Christianty in America? What about the other minority Christian faiths like Mormons, Amish, Quakers, etc. Are they also discriminated against? I remember a scene in the movie "The Good Shepherd" when the De Niro character told the Matt Damon character whom he was recruiting into the newly formed FBI that had "no Catholics, no Jews".

Bunny said:"I actually just read earlier today that my country the united states has a history of discrimination against Catholics..."
Old 28-06-2021, 10:54 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayar415
This is a strange thing to say in a spiritual forum. Isn't religion spiritual?
Religion is many times the turning point of such. Even Jesus was against ritualistic nature that religion falls prey to. Yet, so many religious people of Christianity and churchs. Pratice and preach ritualistic beliefs of religion
I am also not implying that everyone of religion is at fault by being part of religion. Just that stating that one is following Jesus or with God just because of a religion is a faulty reality. And a faulty reality that Jesus preached about many many times.
God isn't a doctrine or a rule a law nor a commandment. Nor is the Church of God a building, this is one of the religious rituals that makes many forget that the world is God's church. No matter of race, religion, or inflictions. I wouldn't think God cares if you found God thru a turtle, as long as you have found God. It even says in the Bible, God cares for whats written in someone's Heart not in what is written on paper.

I meet so many people who claim they are with God,. Yet, every chance they get they look down and put others down. Even though the main thing Scripture tells us is to Lift one another up. Nobody can claim in truth that they walk or is with God and not have Love in there hearts....and mind. They may be searching for God...but this religious ritual behavior makes them think they found God. Sure, some can say that they are trying to be God like or Jesus like or any other religious belief. That they are being renewed in Love and by Love. In that they will be willing to accept what God has and will show them.

O'yeah um religious tolerance or lack of that is. To me is when people defend what they think is the way something is supposed to be. Instead of the way it should be
In doing so it's not for in the name of God instead in the name of man.....In the name of God...here stop I will
Old 29-06-2021, 07:28 AM
Master

I think a secular spirituality which emphasizes values and virtuous conduct without allegiance to any religion is necessary in the world.

This can help to lubricate the differences between the different religions in the world.

Andrei Sakharov was an atheist and soviet scientist who became a dissident, activist for disarmament, peace and human rights.

And also a secular spiritualist who prescribed understanding of morality and inquiry as the only compass in determining right conduct.

Quote:
“I am not a professional politician. Perhaps that is why I am always burdened by doubt about the usefulness and consequences of my actions. I incline to the belief that a combination of moral criteria and unrestricted inquiry provides the only possible compass.” ~ Andrei Sakharov

Sakharov played a major role in disarmament efforts and creating bridges and channels of dialogue between rival nuclear powers of that time. He also empowered the world civil society with his writings so that they would be able to think for themselves and not be brainwashed and led by propaganda. His activities however led him to issues with his own government in his country.

Sakharov was awarded the Nobel prize in 1975. The Sakharov Prize, which is awarded annually by the European Parliament for people and organizations dedicated to human rights and freedoms, is named in his honor.

Sakharov's life, both by example and precept, shows that secular spirituality based on moral criteria and critical thinking, can also advance the cause of peace and justice.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Old 29-06-2021, 08:41 AM
Master
I don;t like to think of people as religious, so I prefer to say a person identifies with a religion.
Old 29-06-2021, 04:35 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I don;t like to think of people as religious, so I prefer to say a person identifies with a religion.

Good point!
Old 30-06-2021, 09:00 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay00
I think a secular spirituality which emphasizes values and virtuous conduct without allegiance to any religion is necessary in the world.

Why would it be ''necessary''?

A secular foundation can help accept religious differences but making that foundation 'spiritual' is counter-productive. Secularism means separation of state and religion, which also means people can believe and follow a religion without being bothered by someone else. By trying to make secularism ''spiritual'' you are asking for control and order and are in the process of creating religion. Ordered spirituality = religion.

''Emphasizing values and virtuous conduct without any allegiance to any religion'' ~ Aah, but when we ask what is meant by that then surely it will gravitate towards (a) religion.
Old 30-06-2021, 12:02 PM
BunnyJen90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayar415
I agree. Apart from some theological differences that matter to the clergy, lay Christians share the same Jesus story. But what Bunny said below is true. I remember some talk about President Kennedy being a Catholic. Why is that? Is it because Catholics are not part of mainstream Christianty in America? What about the other minority Christian faiths like Mormons, Amish, Quakers, etc. Are they also discriminated against? I remember a scene in the movie "The Good Shepherd" when the De Niro character told the Matt Damon character whom he was recruiting into the newly formed FBI that had "no Catholics, no Jews".

Bunny said:"I actually just read earlier today that my country the united states has a history of discrimination against Catholics..."

Yes there is a lot of discrimination against other Christian dominions here in my country. I can remember in 2012 there being a senator in my country the United States who ran for president that year and the biggest concern people had about him was his Mormon religion, which I could of cared less about. I now greatly regret not voting for him in that election, but at that time I was going through a weird phase where I was more into monarchy then democracy and wishing my country had a monarchy instead. However since then my views have changed. Still I don't think people know best to choose their own leader. Just look at who we have for president currently. While I guess I'm glad we have our second catholic president I'm not getting my hopes up with him. I made that mistake with a certain president and I'm not making that mistake again. Sorry if I'm getting too much into politics here again.
Old 30-06-2021, 01:20 PM
Master
Reading your post remind me of one day, I went to Tombstone, Arizona, one of my favorite haunts. As I approached one street intersection, I was surprised the group that would be at that intersection promoting their religion (Jehovah's Witnesses) was not there but was being occupied by a different group, a Catholic group. I spent more time talking with that group then the time I would spend with other group. I was surprised that we talked as if we were old friends.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 30-06-2021, 03:15 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
Religious Discrimination has been going on for centuries you only have to look at countries that still practice it,
to me Religion is the cause of all wars.

Namaste

Native spirit,

‘All’ becomes a difficult position to defend..