Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 27-06-2021, 07:02 PM
Master
Oneness vs. Sameness argument …

In nonduality or undivided awareness - individual uniqueness’s really stand out, hence the union of 2 polarities is experienced as a paradox.

“Sameness” to me implies man-made boundaries. Uniformity trying to masquerade as Unity - in other words sameness trying to replace the Transcendent in order to secure and to make permanency, predictability out of something which cannot be secured nor made permanent, or made into a ‘thing’.

Sameness reminds me of “Forced Assimilation”.

Sameness also reminds me of the Tower of Babel - the Tune being the movement is mind (conventional truths, the known) instead of staying in the “not knowing” or the intuitive pull of the “Absolute truth”.

“Absolute Truth” – yes, “Cosmic Wonder” that is …

Old 29-06-2021, 10:10 PM
Master
Found these two videos of talks by Tolle, which talk about a similar thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzX4igEOpOY

Interestingly we have got two words for 2 different kinds of knowing as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5RtPmwJQvg

From the reference point of “Oneness” uniqueness’s or differences really do stand out, but in an unconditional love, non-judgemental way …

From the reference point of separate-self-identity … sameness’s are sought to make the separate-self feel more secure.

Sameness’s are also idealized/romanticised as self, or the sameness of our beautiful humanity aiming to become more loving, more non-judgemental, thus more “spiritual”.
This is “Spiritual Materialism” as I understand it.
And hypocritically it already is a judgemental and hierarchical position and not 'equal-in-spirit' or "Oneness".

And this separate-self is always left wanting, desiring more …
“Oneness” leaves nothing more to be desired.

Old 08-07-2021, 07:36 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWonder
I canít control my desires.
How do I let go of my desires? Even grief didnít get rid of them.
I have always really admired the venerable Ajahn Sumedho's discourses on the four noble truths. If you haven't read it I highly recommend it, available free online. It's a very practical approach to suffering and desire.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn : 09-07-2021 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Shortened quote as Admin has asked to 2-3 sentences
Old 08-07-2021, 08:02 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHenson
I have always really admired the venerable Ajahn Sumedho's discourses on the four noble truths. If you haven't read it I highly recommend it, available free online. It's a very practical approach to suffering and desire.
It's excellent.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:13 AM
Master

"People cannot understand it they misunderstand and think it comes from an ego because they are always interpreting everything from their egos" Ajahn Sumedho

I like it so far though I would have used the phrase "some people" and not "people" like Ajahn did there.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:51 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHenson
Thanks for the recommendation, I've only read the first couple of pages so far but it does look very good - the link's below for anyone else who'd like to read it:

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/4nobltru.pdf
'Our feelings are safe, no matter how intense they are. It is our tensing-up around our human feelings, our rejection and refusal of them, our unconscious efforts to destroy and annihilate and purify them inside of us, our shaming of our vulnerable inner life and the smothering of the inner child, which causes so much pain and suffering - not the feelings themselves.' - Jeff Foster
Old 09-07-2021, 08:53 AM
Master
How to embrace desire.

The desire to let go of desire is a desire in itself.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:09 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEmbers
How to embrace desire.

The desire to let go of desire is a desire in itself.
Buddha never taught that desire are to be gotten rid of. His desires to help others is why we have Buddhism
What He taught is that ' Craving ' desires are what causes Dukha.