Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 16-03-2023, 06:41 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewwerrin
The focus part is hard. ... In 30 minutes I was able to pull off maybe 10 seconds of uninterrupted focus. I need to practice to reach the golden 17 seconds mark of consistent focus. Then I'll surely reconnect with my soul again.
This is the challenge most of us face in meditation. Holding the focus without mental chatter for long enough to enter a deeper state. And then repeating the process. And so on.

I believe that the "golden 17 seconds mark" comes from Abraham-Hicks: The 17 second rule states that when you focus on a thought for 17 seconds, you activate the vibration of the thought. And when you focus on a thought for 68 seconds, the vibration becomes powerful enough to manifest itself in real life.

The same principle can also apply to focus in meditation but without the need to focus on a particular thought.

And yes, there are those for whom meditation means simply observing thoughts as they arise without attaching to them, which is perfectly valid as a means of detaching from thoughts and identifying with being the witness of thinking.

But my own inclination is to go down the route of no-thought, holding the focus without the arising of mental chatter, and thus our attention becomes absorbed.

I find that a lot depends on my intention when I sit down. Do I sit down out of habit and go through the motions? I can still enjoy sitting in meditation for an hour, even if the amount of real meditation is minimal. Or do I sit down with the conscious intention to really focus and go deep within? Which makes all the difference.

Peace
Old 17-03-2023, 04:26 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
This is the...
...all the difference.
Peace
yeah thanks you read my mind.
I'm having real difficulty meditating because of pulsating pain. I focus and the pain comes into the picture. maybe I should use my pain as my object of focus, lol.

nah that just brings more stress. It's better if I am able to focus my way around it.

first lack of focus, and now this... Just my luck.

its dissapointing but maybe the pain also motivates me to focus more. in order to become free from the pain. that would be a huge reward. I'm going to try now focus so powerfully that the pain cannot even interfere. I have to do this. There isn't any other option for me now that is better than this.
Old 17-03-2023, 05:14 PM
Master

I only do walking meditation. Long term sitting can lead to hip problems in later life.
Old 17-03-2023, 06:03 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisy
I only do walking meditation. Long term sitting can lead to hip problems in later life.
Each to their own. But perhaps these hip problems are not caused by how long we sit but by how we sit. In other words, poor posture. There may be many factors involved.

And of course, it depends how active we are when we are not sitting in meditation.

Peace
Old 17-03-2023, 08:13 PM
Master
or a gaming chair. those seem good quality for comfort. racing car driver seats on wheels.

for me, any chair will do.
Old 19-03-2023, 01:54 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewwerrin
I'm going to try now focus so powerfully that the pain cannot even interfere. I have to do this. There isn't any other option for me now that is better than this.

if you keep running away from reality, of course you aren't going to be able to find it. lol.

but good call on doing 'hard' things that is an improvement!
Old 19-03-2023, 08:28 AM
Master

I don't think there is any method or technique that can get rid of "bad" karma we already have. Bad in the sense it does lead to suffering or pain or misfortune of various kinds, but "good" in the sense of it having a divine purpose. It is "bad" for a good purpose.

A lot of people are born with physical and mental problems that may lead to huge obstacles and struggles and suffering. Physical and mental handicaps of various kinds. Medical issues with the brain and body.

But even these we can make worse by fighting them or not accepting what we cannot change. We have to make the best out of what we have been given. I think everything happens for a reason. No suffering lasts forever. We have experiences we need to have to learn, to grow, to understand, and change.

I think one day we will all be in paradise. Free of fear, free of suffering, free of pain, free of sadness, free of depression, feeling overwhelming love and acceptance and joy.
Old 25-03-2023, 01:11 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisy
I don't think there is....
... feeling overwhelming love and acceptance and joy.
I want this so much, it makes me cry a bit. That time in our existence when everyone is in heaven or paradise or joy or a good place and happy.

I so want that to already be right now. I so wish that is where we were right now. All of us.

When I'm feeling depressed I cannot even imagine such an existence. But the idea that it exists and that we're all headed there, gives me so much hope.
Old 05-08-2023, 06:34 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat

Plus the fact that the mind and body and personality are always changing, yet our identity remains constant. If we were the mind and body and personality then our identity would be continually changing. But that consciousness which is gazing out of my eyes is unchanged from that consciousness which gazed out of my eyes fifty years ago.

Peace

I am always a bit puzzled when it is said that our identity doesn't change because when I am asleep it has definitely changed and I am obviously not aware of anything when I am in deep sleep, therefore my identity has changed, because it is not the same as when I am in the waking state.....
Old 06-08-2023, 06:01 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara
I am always a bit puzzled when it is said that our identity doesn't change because when I am asleep it has definitely changed and I am obviously not aware of anything when I am in deep sleep, therefore my identity has changed, because it is not the same as when I am in the waking state.....

My views on this are:

In the dream state (if we be aware or conscious in dreams), we may see that we are responding to whatever appears spontaneously, that is, as of our core instincts, whereas in the waking state (if we are present and mindful), there is a small element of free will, essentially with one choice being ‘higher or unifying’ and the other ‘lower or separating’.

As for deep sleep, we wake up from it unaware simply because it is a singularity, cognition of which is lost in duality. Maybe we can ask those who say they are awake in all three states of consciousness.