Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Closed Thread

Old 23-02-2023, 10:43 PM
Master

There are a lot of Christian churches. Some big (lots of members and ""workers") and some small. They all have someone in charge or a group in charge though many decided on what their "official beliefs" were hundreds of years ago, others decided weeks or days ago. Depends on which Christian church it is and when it was created and by who.

All these groups probably have their own definition on what a Christian is and what a person needs to be doing or have done to be an "official" Christian but this is for their group, not all Christian groups. But then some even claim their group is the only "right one" with all the boxes checked as they believe is required.

Anyone can start a group or Church and call it Christian. You can drive though towns everywhere and find a "non-denominational" Christian Church. Non-denominational means open or acceptable to people of any Christian denomination. Other Churches are like "branches" or "franchises" of some larger organized group or denomination.

Anyone can call themselves a Christian as well though they would not be "an official" Christian to a group that made rules etc for people in their group. Christian basically means a follower of Christ or Jesus. What does it actually mean to be a follower? Well individuals and groups decide that. Typically people want fellowship and to belong to a group. It can be fun to belong to a group were others accept you because you are a part of their group and you get "perks" in some groups like people to council you or talk to you and even can perform your wedding! (or baptism and funeral - last rites and stuff)

There are also jobs your can get in the groups. Paid jobs or if they don't give you cash you at least you get room and board and a "career" doing what that jobs does. Back to the question yes you call yourself a Christian and a Buddhist or a Christian Buddhist and whatever you want and most people will ask you, "oh what's that? never heard of that" and then you can explain your views and beliefs. You can even attend other Christian churches if they let you but I would not say too much about your beliefs in these other churches because they would probably tell you that you don't belong in their group.
Old 23-02-2023, 10:53 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
I'm talking about calling yourself a Christian...according to history's only definition.
I'm not sure what you mean by history's only definition. The first Christians were the followers of a Jewish religious sect that emerged in Judea during the late Second Temple period (first century AD). These Christian Jews believed Jesus to be the prophesied Messiah, and blended his teachings into the Jewish faith, including the observance of the Jewish law. Jewish Christianity is the foundation of Early Christianity, which later developed into Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Christianity.
Old 23-02-2023, 11:31 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
The proliferation of denominations clearly indicates the lack of belief in one universal Church.
These modern Christian groups do not believe in the trinity so they would not believe in all of the The Nicene Creed: the Jehovah’s Witnesses, the Church of Jesus Christ of LDS, Iglesia Ni Cristo, Christadelphians, Christian Scientists, Dawn Bible Students, Living Church of God, Oneness Pentecostals, Members Church of God International, Unitarian Universalist Christians, The Way International, The Church of God International, the United Church of God, and Armstrongism. Also, Unitarian Christians believe that the Father is the sole deity and the Savior was not God. Unitarian Christians do not believe in the holy ghost.

A Christian group like the Witnesses believe in one God, not the Trinity. Like most Christians, they believe that Jesus Christ died for humankind's sins, however they do not believe that he was physically resurrected after his crucifixion. They believe that he was only spiritually resurrected.

An interesting side note is a Bishop in the Church of England said he did not believe in the virgin birth in the late 90's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial...%20 Nazarenes.
Old 24-02-2023, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisy
I'm not sure what you mean by history's only definition.
Hi, I have known or heard this decades before the internet;
that this was the standard, the definition of a Christian, period...had to believe the entire thing, period.
Was I lied to? Sure. Maybe.

I found a lot of things online making up all sorts of definitions, each one diff from the other - non official.
Here, I'll make one up now: A Christian is a person who loves Jesus.

Here's an interesting link, tho.
https://zondervanacademic.com/blog/t...-still-matters

NO one has to believe or follow what the Nicene Council came up with at all!
If they don't then
anyone can consider themselves Christian believing Mary and Joseph had pre marital relations or
that Jesus NEVER ascended into Heaven or
that he was NOT the son of God, but a cool teacher ---
that never died, but was revived in the tomb...still honoring and loving him, see?
All sorts of things and still may call themselves Christian.

But that would not be according to that definition above.
To stay on topic...I think it's fine to be a Christian Buddhist...however many Buddhist do not believe in God ...so what do I know.

This is the problem with labels...I place no such labels on myself.
I think it would be more accurate for the starter of the thread, MAYBE,
call himself a Christian that follows or incorporates many Buddhists beliefs.
Much simpler.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 24-02-2023, 02:40 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisy
These modern Christian groups do not believe in the trinity so they would not believe in all of the The Nicene Creed: ].
Maisy,

By many standards it is more than generous to view many of these groups as Christian. In many cases they exhibit the trappings of cults. A member of one UU church characterized the UU as being Sunday school for atheists….��. The churches that I had in mind that really do not believe in one universal church are all mainline churches…..Catholics, Baptists, Lutheran, etc etc. They all perceive irreconcilable differences that demolish any concept of a universal church.
Old 24-02-2023, 05:56 PM
Experiencer

So yeah The Buddha did believe that there were Gods.. Otherwise he wouldnt have taught about the God realm and the Danger of Being Born in it. He didnt believe that they were the ultimate source of truth. Anyways I do believe that Jehovah or Yehway or whatever one calls him is the source of Truth. I apply and pick and choose different Buddhist teachings to help me with my suffering which is what the Buddha sought to triumph over. Suffering.. So I apply those teachings as I can.
Old 24-02-2023, 07:28 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirisilex
I apply and pick and choose different Buddhist teachings to help me with my suffering which is what the Buddha sought to triumph over. Suffering.. So I apply those teachings as I can.
Tirisilex,

A different take on suffering….this quote from Oswald Chambers:

“It is not true to say that God wants to teach us something in our suffering…….He wants us to unlearn something…”
Old 24-02-2023, 08:06 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirisilex
So yeah The Buddha did believe that there were Gods.. Otherwise he wouldnt have taught about the God realm and the Danger of Being Born in it. He didnt believe that they were the ultimate source of truth.

Not so. If you go to the Buddhist Thread I can try and help you understand what you are obviously confused about..
Old 24-02-2023, 09:17 PM
Experiencer

Father, Son, Holy Spirit - Three - The Trinity.....[/quote]

How come Jesus and Paul warn of all other Gods being false then both name only the Father as God? 1Cor 8:5-6-John 4:22-24
Old 24-02-2023, 10:56 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiw1
Father, Son, Holy Spirit - Three - The Trinity.....

How come Jesus and Paul warn of all other Gods being false then both name only the Father as God? 1Cor 8:5-6-John 4:22-24

Some of Jesus's (and the bibles) words seem to contradict each other. Jesus said things to state he and God were different and also said things were he said they were the same.

John 10:30
New International Version
30 (Jesus said) "I and the Father are one.”

Mark 10:18
New International Version
18 (Jesus said) “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone."

They look to me like opposite statements. Or maybe in the John quote Jesus is talking about being detached from his ego and in the Mark quote, Jesus is talking about his "person" or ego.
Closed Thread