Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 17-11-2012, 02:48 AM
Iseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Truth
And correct me if I'm wrong but I suspect that most people think of enlightenment as some kind of achievement whereby they will find some kind of perfect state that requires no maintenance and involves no challenges, heartaches or difficulties... As though they can just sit back in their deck chair and say "ahhhhhh, I've finally done it ha ha ha..."

Yeah, and then what would they do for eternity? Infinite Oneness must get pretty bored!
Old 17-11-2012, 02:55 AM
Dr.Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujiwara Kaito
You mean, we are not already enlightened?

Well, in a sense we are.

But its sort of like one of Einstein's quotes where he said something like: either everything is seen as a miracle or nothing is seen as a miracle.

So, I suppose we could say that either everybody is enlightened or nobody is enlightened.

Frankly I think its a silly word.
Old 17-11-2012, 02:59 AM
Henri77

Life is a cosmic joke played on us
And enlightenment the punch line

I can see George Carlin as god, toying with us,
to test our sense of absurdity

Or possibly Whoopi Goldburg

Old 17-11-2012, 03:19 AM
Dr.Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
You just have to do the best you can. I seriously doubt anyone has ever 'reached enlightenment', even Jesus and Buddah. It's a myth.

It's a good way to test yourself though, if you think you're enlightened then you probably have a lot more work to do on yourself. If you don't think you are, that's nothing special either, you're supposed to be honest anyway.

Hi Seawolf,

I remember years ago I was chatting to some woman in an internet chat room and she told me something quite bizarre: she said that she could speak in tongues!!!

And, I believed her and proceced to ask her all kinds of questions to determine if she was an "angel" or "self-realized" or "God-realized"...

and you know what she told me?

She simply said, avoid labels.
Old 17-11-2012, 03:26 AM
Dr.Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri77
Life is a cosmic joke played on us
And enlightenment the punch line

I can see George Carlin as god, toying with us,
to test our sense of absurdity

Or possibly Whoopi Goldburg

Excellent. [You may be interested to see a youtube video by OSHO entitled "the day I become enlightened"]
Old 17-11-2012, 04:07 AM
Master
Quote:
My dear friend, I've got a very good reason why you (or nobody else) is enlightened.

BECAUSE THERES NO SUCH THING AS ENLIGHTENMENT!!!!!

But then again perhaps we could say that realizing the above truth is enlightenment.

Those are my thoughts.

I think people search too much. Trying to fill a void, wanting answers to questions that can't be answered.

Honestly, when I let go of the notion and it came swiftly when it did, that in itself was amazing, and liberating.
Old 17-11-2012, 04:09 AM
Henri77

Quote:
Excellent. [You may be interested to see a youtube video by OSHO entitled "the day I become enlightened"]

Thanx that was delightful, and I was thinking much of this just today as well.

I've sometimes wondered ,if at a satsang like that, what I'd have to share, if the guru didn't show, and I had to fill in for him.
Who would speak thru me, in that particular situation?
Heroism is simply allowing onself to do something extraordinary by forgetting ones "limitations"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsYmDxCnW74
Old 17-11-2012, 09:19 AM
peacegarden

Whether Enlightenment exists or not, we can overcome mara, the demon within us. We can put an end to our impurities, negativities, delusions, and become the best we can be, and live from a state of bliss and love. If we know how to live from that state, then we are enlightened to some degree. More enlightened that I am right now for sure.

Perhaps self actualization is a better term than enlightenment.

So long as we're not there, then we have something to work on.
Old 17-11-2012, 10:08 AM
amy green

Wink

Quote:
Okay, well I'm basically directing it at the usual far-fetched fantasies that I hear about, such as:

the end of suffering
infinite laughter, joy, bliss, love
the end of ALL "negative" emotions like fear

and other absurdities like "no thoughts" or "no me/I".

And correct me if I'm wrong but I suspect that most people think of enlightenment as some kind of achievement whereby they will find some kind of perfect state that requires no maintenance and involves no challenges, heartaches or difficulties... As though they can just sit back in their deck chair and say "ahhhhhh, I've finally done it ha ha ha..."
Yes this is a pretty good summary.

Have you heard the Zen definition of enlightenment? ..............

'Before enlightenment chop wood, carry water- after enlightenment chop wood, carry water'......

for those who have modern heating and taps, have they attained nirvana?
Old 17-11-2012, 12:22 PM
xebiche

I am Enlightened - through and through.

Here is the one of the tricks about Enlightenment.., you gotta run with it. You can't be afraid about what may people think, because you will be confronted with a thick plethora of "competing" belief systems on your cognitive ascension.

<snip>

edited by SF Staff

Last edited by arive nan : 17-11-2012 at 04:19 PM.