Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 03-01-2020, 04:08 AM
Master
Maya is not neutral.

Having observed the physical world and maya for many years it has become clear that it is not a neutral force. In many ways it is a deeply malevolent force. I am not surprised that Christians believe in the devil. Maya behaves as though it is the devil.

It tries it's best to undermine, scare and disappoint us in as many ways as possible without being so obvious about it.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:28 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
Having observed the physical world and maya for many years it has become clear that it is not a neutral force. In many ways it is a deeply malevolent force. I am not surprised that Christians believe in the devil. Maya behaves as though it is the devil.

It tries it's best to undermine, scare and disappoint us in as many ways as possible without being so obvious about it.
Namaste

According to beliefs which are common across many religious traditions, there are those things which draw us closer to God, goodness, our Divine Nature and those which distract, detract, derail and distance our awareness further away from it.

In the Christian tradition, this is personified as the antithesis of all that is "holy" and is called "Satan" or "Devil" as something to be avoided and admonished if one is to consider themselves to be "on the correct path" according to the scriptures.. that is what Hindus call Dharma.

Whilst Hinduism doesn't personify Maya in this way, it also can be seen as being 'evil' if it facilitates the understanding that the material universe isn't all there is to existence, so Maya in itself is still neutral, but the perception of Maya in relation to that which is not Maya can be seen with the Dualistic awareness of being malevolent or hostile if the alternative is seen as being benevolent or peaceful.

Maya is an aspect of Shakti (Goddess) who can be Kali or Saraswati... depending upon the way she is viewed and perceived.

I often see Maya as a "malevolent force" designed to keep humanity in ignorance, however, she can also be a liberating force when one comes to realise it.

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 23-01-2020, 11:19 AM
Master

Quote:

As per the Prajapita Brahmakumaris, Maya's role is in weakening a person by bringing forgetfulness of God through the vices of lust, greed,anger, egoism and attachments.

Remembrance of God through meditation results in strengthening and inculcating a virtuous behavior.

As this is the Kali Yuga, Maya is in a dominant position due to the predominance of the element of Tamas, and much austerity is needed for the remembrance of God and cultivation of virtues or performing virtuous actions.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Old 26-01-2020, 01:57 PM
Master
Quote:

Is it really a malevolent force or are we the ones that make it so..

Can ''maya'' be equated with the physical or are they two different things?
Do not religions such as Christianity and Hinduism talk about *paradisical* eras here on Earth?
Old 26-01-2020, 08:50 PM
Master
The way I see it is that maya is heavy on the ego or the 'I'. It forces the ego upon us. Which has detrimental effects.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 26-01-2020, 09:53 PM
Deactivated Account

This mirrors gnostic thought and the concept of the demi-urge.
Old 28-01-2020, 10:38 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMay
This mirrors gnostic thought and the concept of the demi-urge.

It does, in a way.

But in Dharmic religion the ''maya'' seems like it's ''working as intended'' and offering us a kindergarten of sorts to live out our ''karma'', whereas in Gnosticism it is a conscious and deliberate act of a personal god that put us against our will in a world of suffering.

Correct me if wrong.
Old 30-01-2020, 02:54 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay00
As per the Prajapita Brahmakumaris, Maya's role is in weakening a person by bringing forgetfulness of God through the vices of lust, greed,anger, egoism and attachments.

Remembrance of God through meditation results in strengthening and inculcating a virtuous behavior.

As this is the Kali Yuga, Maya is in a dominant position due to the predominance of the element of Tamas, and much austerity is needed for the remembrance of God and cultivation of virtues or performing virtuous actions.

Kali Yuga...chrissake...sux for us, eh?

May I ask...could you (or Shivani or someone) enlighten us with some background on this Kali Yuga age -- characteristics, trends, when it began (roughly) and how long it might be (if that's known)?

I'm trying to mine the wisdom of the ages here...as clearly, there certainly IS a predominance of Tamas and austerity, discipline, ownership, and temperance certainly ARE (seemingly) at an all-time low, LOL...

Thank you

Peace & blessings and namaste to one and all --
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 30-01-2020, 04:02 PM
Cat

Maya is a force?
Maya is this place - the dream - the Illusion.
Well, it has the 'force', (I call it the 'job', it's purpose), of being such a magnificent illusion that we actually think it's REAL!!!!
Biggest illusion ever...God the Master Magician...or is it all the projection of our beliefs? Potato - tomato.

So what's the real force? I'd say our minds, our thoughts, our beliefs!!

Good one, Altair - Is it really a malevolent force or are we the ones that make it so..

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 30-01-2020, 06:19 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
It does, in a way.

But in Dharmic religion the ''maya'' seems like it's ''working as intended'' and offering us a kindergarten of sorts to live out our ''karma'', whereas in Gnosticism it is a conscious and deliberate act of a personal god that put us against our will in a world of suffering.

Correct me if wrong.

Not all Gnosticism sees the demiurge as evil, maybe more just misguided or unenlightened and not purposely causing harm... That is also one of the thoughts of NeoPlatonism I believe which Gnosticism was originally based on.