Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Judaism

Old 18-10-2019, 06:12 AM
Master
The thread originally was:

"Are you comfortable using the word G-d?
Do you use other names for G-d?"

What I really wanted to know was
Are you comfortable using the word G-d?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 20-10-2019, 03:03 AM
MAYA EL

You should research where the word GOD comes from
Old 20-10-2019, 05:17 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYA EL
You should research where the word GOD comes from
I have.

If you study Genesis 1:1(a) in Hebrew then how it got translated into Greek and
then finally how it got translated, you might have enough material for a book.

Back to the original question, do you feel comfortable using G-D?

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 22-10-2019, 03:23 AM
MAYA EL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
I have.

If you study Genesis 1:1(a) in Hebrew then how it got translated into Greek and
then finally how it got translated, you might have enough material for a book.

Back to the original question, do you feel comfortable using G-D?
I'm going to assume based off of your reply that you have not researched the origins of the word GOD
Old 22-10-2019, 04:17 AM
Master
I guess you did not read post #15.

I would like to hear your version.

Old 23-10-2019, 10:56 AM
MAYA EL

Quote:
I guess you did not read post #15.

I would like to hear your version.

Yeah I read it however if you had actually done your research on the name GOD you would have dismissed the validity of using it in the context of the abrahamic religion because of its multiple different Origins most of them predating the Jewish or Christian faith and so making the word God fallacious to even consider let alone ask a pointless question to others such as do you feel comfortable using it . Do you feel comfortable saying Tom? Would you say Tom I'm public?. See how pointless that was seeing as we both don't consider Tom to be a special name?.
Old 25-10-2019, 07:43 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYA EL
Yeah I read it however if you had actually done your research on the name GOD you would have dismissed the validity of using it in the context of the abrahamic religion because of its multiple different Origins most of them predating the Jewish or Christian faith and so making the word God fallacious to even consider let alone ask a pointless question to others such as do you feel comfortable using it . Do you feel comfortable saying Tom? Would you say Tom I'm public?. See how pointless that was seeing as we both don't consider Tom to be a special name?.
Your statement has validity but, remember, this is the Jewish section.

Jews predominately use the expression G-D. I wanted
to have conversations with people who use G-D and wanted to know if they are comfortable with that expression.

Old 26-10-2019, 04:04 AM
MAYA EL

Yes I know I went to a synagogue for over 7 years I am fully aware of the quirks habits and traditions
Old 07-02-2020, 10:11 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Jews predominately use the expression G-D. I wanted to have conversations with people who use G-D and wanted to know if they are comfortable with that expression.
A quick note before Shabbat.

Writing “G-d” is a custom. It is not required under Jewish law. The “o” is pronounced in spoken conversation.

And, yes, for those who don’t know... or have forgotten.... I really am.
Old 13-02-2020, 04:45 PM
Master
Hello BigJ,
I might also use it in discussion of different ways of conceiving of the divine.
I don't use the term G-d but I may use the term God for example, when discussing traditional religion or traditional religious concepts "in situ" or in their historic or common context.

But I will definitely say that the "traditional" form of God as presented to us down through the ages by crusty cultures and crusty perspectives is horribly off-putting, heavy-handed, and patriarchal.
IMO we do any notion of the divine a severe disservice by any reference to "God" as some sort of uber-human or uber-father. That nearly kills it for me right there.

I would rather see the possibility for humanity to better love and care for one another...and to appreciate it when it happens, without making God over in our image.
I'd much rather allow for a Creator or One that is not limited in any way by our human shortfall, sin ("missing the mark"), and iniquity.
A concept of Divinity which, regardless if connecting personally with us, does not have to be human or be limited in any way by our mere humanity simply to connect with us in spirit and at centre.

"God the Father" or "God as man" (as in some other traditions) are terribly oppressive, brutally cruel, and fatally flawed concepts of God, and IMO should be binned ASAP.
It's long since past time to free God from our conceptual prison and shackles

Now God as Love, God as One and All and What Is, God as Self/self/selves in relationship, and many other permutations...well alrighty then

Peace & blessings
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke

Last edited by 7luminaries : 13-02-2020 at 06:15 PM.