Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Music

Old 13-11-2011, 06:53 AM
Distortedsoundz

I have been listening to heavy metal and industrial since the early 90s. Sure, I was a follower and went through some rebellious Satan worshipping phase listening to Slayer and Morbid Angel, but again, I was a stupid kid and thought I had something to prove. Plus my father converted from Catholicism to Satanism and black arts when I was 8 so I had his influence.

I'm more like my mother, she is a light worker. I came around when I was ready. I'm 31 years old, I'm a big girl, sure, I'm covered in scary tattoos that are mostly occult references,I listen to dark,heavy music for fun, but no matter
how evil it is, it is not going to influence me...Can't stop me from doing good!

You would have to have a questionable level of intelligence if you're an adult that becomes negatively influenced by music.
Old 13-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Sungirl

Are you saying that music does not affect you at all? Have you not been brought to tears by a piece of music or cheered by another?

I personally would counter your comment about questionable intelligence by saying that if one is not affected by music at all one is not tuned into the music and not really experiencing it at all. That is either due to a lack of interest or because they are unable to interact with it for some reason.

Music has been created to affect the psyche since a stick banged against a hollow log. Look at what shamans use, rattles, drums, things that create sound to help the soul travel

I am not saying you have to be turned into an axe wielding lunatic as a result of music, but I marvel at people who cannot be affected at all.

I would like to ask people to listen to two pieces of music and see how they affect you.

These are folk songs both by Kate Rusby. I chose folk to save the ears of those who really dislike metal. I could do the same with metal tunes.

Tell me if this one make you happy? http://youtu.be/1jjPfNk4_-Q

And does this make you feel the same? http://youtu.be/XENvfQ5rCIc

I defy anyone to not to feel something listening to the first if they truly engage with it. The second it light and bubbly and has a completely different effect!!

I'll end with a question to Distortedsoundz.... do you listen to a range of genres? Do you pick at random or do you choose your music based on how you feel? If you choose it based on how you feel I am sure it is affecting you in some way.
Old 14-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Distortedsoundz

I think that you took what I meant completely out of context. If you took a look at the dictionary, there is a pretty fair difference between the word influence and affect, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sungirl
Are you saying that music does not affect you at all? Have you not been brought to tears by a piece of music or cheered by another?

I personally would counter your comment about questionable intelligence by saying that if one is not affected by music at all one is not tuned into the music and not really experiencing it at all. That is either due to a lack of interest or because they are unable to interact with it for some reason.

Music has been created to affect the psyche since a stick banged against a hollow log. Look at what shamans use, rattles, drums, things that create sound to help the soul travel

I am not saying you have to be turned into an axe wielding lunatic as a result of music, but I marvel at people who cannot be affected at all.

I would like to ask people to listen to two pieces of music and see how they affect you.

These are folk songs both by Kate Rusby. I chose folk to save the ears of those who really dislike metal. I could do the same with metal tunes.

I defy anyone to not to feel something listening to the first if they truly engage with it. The second it light and bubbly and has a completely different effect!!

I'll end with a question to Distortedsoundz.... do you listen to a range of genres? Do you pick at random or do you choose your music based on how you feel? If you choose it based on how you feel I am sure it is affecting you in some way.
Old 14-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Distortedsoundz

Also, before getting worked up, you should have taken into consideration that I said "You would have to have a questionable level of intelligence if you're an adult that becomes NEGATIVELY influenced by music." not "an adult that becomes influenced by music." or "an adult that becomes positively influenced by music." Heck, anything that is a positive influence is okay in my book, even if it is a plate of ****.
For humans to have no conscious or subconscious reaction to sound, whether it is structured or not, is impossible.

Quote:

Old 15-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Sungirl

apologies, my definition of "negatively" must differ from yours slightly then. Neither is right or wrong, simply different. The limitations of the written word again.

I wasn't getting "worked up" just looking to explore what you had said further.

People are affected by different things and in different ways. I know that if I listened to a lot of music like the first link I posted I would soon be a very unhappy person. This is why I actually don't listen to Kate Rusby any more as i found it was depressing me.

You could say that eating chocolate doesn't affect someone negatively, but if you eat a lot then it does. Why would anything else be any different?

People who are unhappy attract and are attracted to low vibrational things, that can include music that lowers the mood, this then attracts more low vibrational things. This can lead to wallowing and stops the person moving on. Something has to change for them to get out of this cycle, it could be anything, but it could be a change in music choice.

I will add that I personally don't treat metal and goth any different to any other music. I love my metal, goth and industrial. I would consider any genre as containing music that lowers the mood.
Old 16-11-2011, 04:27 AM
Distortedsoundz

I know plenty of people that listen to darker music like heavy metal during their workouts,while driving, or whatever. I know plenty of people that listen to dark music that are just fine. The same can be said about sad or horror movies.
I also think that anything can be bad for anyone if there is not a balance, even if it is something considered positive. I'm deeply attracted to and dabble in both the light and dark areas of life, for example, I've been a Professional Dominatrix for a decade because I have a personal interest in it. Most would consider me a "dark" person because of that.
But spiritually I work 100 percent with light, I am constantly helping others,giving, and a generally loving person, well liked. No mental problems besides minor anxiety issues in vehicles. But because of the way I live my life, I consantly have to protect myself from bad energy just for good measure. All about balance and protection. Goes with anything.

Quote:
apologies, my definition of "negatively" must differ from yours slightly then. Neither is right or wrong, simply different. The limitations of the written word again.

I wasn't getting "worked up" just looking to explore what you had said further.

People are affected by different things and in different ways. I know that if I listened to a lot of music like the first link I posted I would soon be a very unhappy person. This is why I actually don't listen to Kate Rusby any more as i found it was depressing me.

You could say that eating chocolate doesn't affect someone negatively, but if you eat a lot then it does. Why would anything else be any different?

People who are unhappy attract and are attracted to low vibrational things, that can include music that lowers the mood, this then attracts more low vibrational things. This can lead to wallowing and stops the person moving on. Something has to change for them to get out of this cycle, it could be anything, but it could be a change in music choice.

I will add that I personally don't treat metal and goth any different to any other music. I love my metal, goth and industrial. I would consider any genre as containing music that lowers the mood.
Old 16-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Sungirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortedsoundz
I know plenty of people that listen to darker music like heavy metal during their workouts,while driving, or whatever. I know plenty of people that listen to dark music that are just fine. The same can be said about sad or horror movies.
I also think that anything can be bad for anyone if there is not a balance, even if it is something considered positive.

I think that means we are in agreement then. Like I say, I don't consider the genre of Metal as dark. I do think there are examples of every genre that could bring someone's mood down tho. And I think that is individual to all people. A song that makes one person happy could make another sad. I often find songs about deep love make me feel sad.

It's not about genre, it's about being aware of how things affect you and making sure there is that balance that you talk about.

Quote:
I'm deeply attracted to and dabble in both the light and dark areas of life, for example, I've been a Professional Dominatrix for a decade because I have a personal interest in it. Most would consider me a "dark" person because of that.
But spiritually I work 100 percent with light, I am constantly helping others,giving, and a generally loving person, well liked. No mental problems besides minor anxiety issues in vehicles. But because of the way I live my life, I consantly have to protect myself from bad energy just for good measure. All about balance and protection. Goes with anything.

To me "light" and "dark" are a matter of perspective. I see nothing wrong with being a Dominatrix. I don't see that as "dark" at all. The act hasn't changed, just the perspective.

Being a pagan/biker/metal head/goth could put me on the side of "dark" in some people's eyes. Meh.... let them think that about me, I know the truth.