Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 15-05-2021, 04:51 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Why then are we so concerned with what is or isn't spiritual?

Like in here, we're asked if Christianity and ''spirituality'' can coexist. It means spirituality is already defined, likely based on some beliefs/ideals/practices..

I've been called or considered (subtly and not so subtly) as ''non-spiritual'' many times on here, just for doubting stuff like karma, reincarnation, creationism, etc. It makes no sense. Mankind has been thinking, believing, imagining, and 'doing' spirituality for tens of thousands of years and yet here we all are saying one culture is spiritual and another one isn't.

Is there a definition for spirituality? It seems all inclusive of anything considered within the non physical arena. I thought it was much broader than Christianity, which seems very specifically defined.

Maybe I misunderstood the OP. Isn't she asking whether one with specific beliefs (and family, and lifestyle) can happily coexist with someone less committed to specific beliefs, more open to investigating multiple avenues of spiritual expression and ways of being?
Old 15-05-2021, 05:08 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zastrakoza
Is there a definition for spirituality? It seems all inclusive of anything considered within the non physical arena. I thought it was much broader than Christianity, which seems very specifically defined.

Maybe I misunderstood the OP. Isn't she asking whether one with specific beliefs (and family, and lifestyle) can happily coexist with someone less committed to specific beliefs, more open to investigating multiple avenues of spiritual expression and ways of being?

Zastrakoza,

Perhaps your question was simply rhetorical in nature.....but just taking a stab at it I might suggest that spirituality is the language of the non physical arena. Curious how others might attempt to define it.....:)
Old 15-05-2021, 05:19 PM
Master
Once upon a time, it was believed that the whole of existence was spiritual. Then, with the advance of civilization, we became more specialized in our day-to-day life, and this reflected back in our spiritual beliefs. They too, became specialized, more obscure. We developed structures and more elitist beliefs around it. It's gotten to the point where we have traditions that say one can only be spiritual if one follows a whole range of codes in actions, speech, diet, what hobbies/interests you can and can't have, and what beliefs are required. Spirituality became increasingly elitist.
Old 15-05-2021, 05:35 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Once upon a time, it was believed that the whole of existence was spiritual. Then, with the advance of civilization, we became more specialized in our day-to-day life, and this reflected back in our spiritual beliefs. They too, became specialized, more obscure. We developed structures and more elitist beliefs around it. It's gotten to the point where we have traditions that say one can only be spiritual if one follows a whole range of codes in actions, speech, diet, what hobbies/interests you can and can't have, and what beliefs are required. Spirituality became increasingly elitist.

Altair,

That elitism has arrived at a totally false definition of spirituality. That is clearly a product of the ego.
Old 15-05-2021, 06:48 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Sky123,

[We can but hope that in some way we can be but a reflection of God and not make the assumption that we are personally the source of goodness or love.

But the goodness/love is expressed through us personally
Old 15-05-2021, 06:53 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123

Everything comes from within.. so obvious and yet so few have the awareness of this. You know, people aknowledge that everything comes from within and.... stop, just one more step and they can see the source of their own being.
Old 15-05-2021, 07:37 PM
Molearner

Quote:

Sky123,

Yes....I see us as conduits. Perhaps we should ask ourselves if we have never experienced love in our lives could we easily be a source of love ?
Old 15-05-2021, 07:50 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Sky123,

Yes....I see us as conduits. Perhaps we should ask ourselves if we have never experienced love in our lives could we easily be a source of love ?

I personally believe that unless we love ourselves we cannot love others.... How do you know what love is if you haven't experienced it.
Old 15-05-2021, 08:22 PM
Molearner

Quote:
I personally believe that unless we love ourselves we cannot love others.... How do you know what love is if you haven't experienced it.

Perhaps only of interest to Christians....1 John 4:19....”We love because He first loved us”

God, being love, is the source of love IMO5
Old 15-05-2021, 11:01 PM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
I personally believe that unless we love ourselves we cannot love others.

depends what one means my "self love." self love can also be defined as egotism and vanity and feeling better than others. putting oneself above others. thinking of oneself first.

like when people say "i love myself so i am going to treat myself to a week at the resort and spa at five hundred dollars a day"

that doesn't have anything to do with the real love of selflessness and putting others before ourselves.