Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature

Old 22-08-2012, 04:25 AM
korryn92

Unhappy My abused maple tree

In front of my home there are some power lines running along side the road. Well some workers came to "trim excess branches" away from the lines about a week or so ago. After they did this (I had no say) I went outside and say that about half or more of my beloved maple tree was gone! They cut way too much!!!! I was almost in tears seeing these poor trees. My heart still aches for them. Does anyone else ever feel bad for trees or other plants? I have always been close to nature but this specific tree almost feels like a family member to me and I have only lived here for like 9 months. I don't know if there is anyway to help it or not, obviously it will take time for branches to grow back but when I go outside I just want to get a tree sized bandage to put around it to make it feel better. I am just so upset and needed to talk to someone who feels the same way about nature. I just wish I could go hug my tree and make it feel better and bee big and full of leaves again.
Old 22-08-2012, 09:14 AM
amy green

Whilst I realise this is a distressing experience, and frustrating that you could have no say in the matter, rest assured that the tree has not been damaged. Damaging a tree would entail attacking the trunk adversely or the tree roots. Regard it like a drastic hair cut - it will soon recover and grow.

I also abhor seeing local trees severely cut back (local council rules) - it seems excessive and cruel but trees are hardy plants and seem to recover fairly quickly.
Old 23-08-2012, 09:39 PM
korryn92

Thank you so much for reassuring me! I just didn't find it necessary to cut that much especially when it was barely touching, probably not even a foot of a couple small branches. You really helped here in my situation, especially knowing I am not alone feeling sorrow for tress. Thank you again!
Old 24-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Ascender
I share your love of trees, but Amy is right - they are quite hardy. I have even seen neighbours cut trees down to short trunk - and then several new, thinner branches grow vertically out of it. I'm not justifying this very harsh action, just trying to reassure you that your maple should survive!

BTW, did these workmen have to pass on to your land to cut the branches? You could have refused access in that case. Of course, they may have been able to access from the road and without your permission, as you mention power lines.

Warmest best wishes to you!
Old 24-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Master
I agree with Amy and LPC. Trees are generally hardy. A storm damaged our neighbor's tree. He chopped the tree in half since the tree was bent in half. A couple of years later, It looks full and normal again. Another neighbor chopped down his tree to the ground level and a new tree grew with plenty of new verticle branches like LPC's neighbors'.

I would feed the tree in the fall season to help with the recovery.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:20 PM
janet123

Hello I just had the same experience with the UI company cutting back my two sugar maples, I watched them do it and realized they cut too much. I cried for two days, and yes I love trees as much as animals.. I am wondering will my trees grow new limbs in the area they were cut? My trees are about 60 yrs old..I have read that they will grow other limbs but would like a second opinion.. please help...thanks
Old 03-09-2012, 04:37 PM
amy green

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet123
Hello I just had the same experience with the UI company cutting back my two sugar maples, I watched them do it and realized they cut too much. I cried for two days, and yes I love trees as much as animals.. I am wondering will my trees grow new limbs in the area they were cut? My trees are about 60 yrs old..I have read that they will grow other limbs but would like a second opinion.. please help...thanks

I'm not a tree expert but, in my general observation, I have seen that the tree sprouts new, thinner branches around the sides of the cut (not too far from where the cut is) i.e. not directly on top of the cut.