Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-11-2020, 06:06 PM
snowyowl snowyowl is offline
Seeker
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: England.
Posts: 36
  snowyowl's Avatar

I think the best advice I can give is to explore different techniques and settle on what feels effortless for you, my experience may be different to you. But I have found the same result as @JustASimpleGuy in that the unstructured styles of meditation (do nothing, let it go/let it be, rest in awareness, natural awareness, choiceless awareness etc) require less effort than the concentration techniques. I think it's significant that there is a variety of names for this approach, the state of mind which results is beyond words and names in my experience.

Not that this is what you need most for your development of course I generally use a mixture. Diana Winston has an interesting approach I'm following at the moment called Spectrum of Awareness, in which you settle into meditation and let you mind gravitate to whichever technique feels right at the time: her scheme has 3 techniques in the spectrum, see her book 'The little book of being'.

Focussed awareness - concentration eg mantra, mindfulness of breathing
Choiceless awareness - half way house between the other two
Natural awareness - let go of all techniques and rest in being.

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-11-2020, 06:45 PM
JustASimpleGuy JustASimpleGuy is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Adirondack Mountains, Upstate NY
Posts: 2,739
  JustASimpleGuy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyowl

I think the best advice I can give is to explore different techniques and settle on what feels effortless for you, my experience may be different to you. But I have found the same result as @JustASimpleGuy in that the unstructured styles of meditation (do nothing, let it go/let it be, rest in awareness, natural awareness, choiceless awareness etc) require less effort than the concentration techniques. I think it's significant that there is a variety of names for this approach, the state of mind which results is beyond words and names in my experience.

Not that this is what you need most for your development of course I generally use a mixture. Diana Winston has an interesting approach I'm following at the moment called Spectrum of Awareness, in which you settle into meditation and let you mind gravitate to whichever technique feels right at the time: her scheme has 3 techniques in the spectrum, see her book 'The little book of being'.

Focussed awareness - concentration eg mantra, mindfulness of breathing
Choiceless awareness - half way house between the other two
Natural awareness - let go of all techniques and rest in being.


That's interesting because that's the approach I first took before mind was sufficiently focused for just being. I'd start with mindfulness of breath, and when breath was barely noticeable I'd shift to resting in awareness. If after a time it became too difficult, required too much effort, I'd switch back to breath.

Now I practice mindfulness in the morning and resting in awareness in the evening as both have value.
__________________
"Research your own experience; absorb what is useful, reject what is useless and add what is essentially your own." ~ Bruce Lee

"Of a certainty the man who can see all creatures in himself, himself in all creatures, knows no sorrow." ~ Upanishads

https://tinyurl.com/y2mxr4s2 My YouTube Channel

JASG
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-11-2020, 10:35 PM
snowyowl snowyowl is offline
Seeker
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: England.
Posts: 36
  snowyowl's Avatar

Yes they certainly do all have value. What they have in common is bringing us back to the here and now. Either as something specific like the breath, or as the whole of the here and now.

The here and now is my mantra

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-11-2020, 11:23 PM
JustASimpleGuy JustASimpleGuy is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Adirondack Mountains, Upstate NY
Posts: 2,739
  JustASimpleGuy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyowl

Yes they certainly do all have value. What they have in common is bringing us back to the here and now. Either as something specific like the breath, or as the whole of the here and now.

The here and now is my mantra

I also enjoy mindfulness of sound using various tracks of Tibetan Singing Bowls and mindfulness of smell using vanilla incense. I find every now and then it helps to switch what's being attended, especially when one type becomes too "easy". It's akin to switching a resistance training routine when one hits a plateau and gains slow or cease.
__________________
"Research your own experience; absorb what is useful, reject what is useless and add what is essentially your own." ~ Bruce Lee

"Of a certainty the man who can see all creatures in himself, himself in all creatures, knows no sorrow." ~ Upanishads

https://tinyurl.com/y2mxr4s2 My YouTube Channel

JASG
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-11-2020, 11:31 PM
Miss Hepburn Miss Hepburn is offline
Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southwest, USA
Posts: 18,819
  Miss Hepburn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
.. and mindfulness of smell using vanilla incense.
If you had said vanilla candles? I would have said, You're such a girl.
With love, of course.
__________________
.

"Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by riding daily in a balloon of divine perception.

Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones...Meditate unceasingly,
that you quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence" ~~Lahiri Mahasaya, the guru of Yogananda's guru.


*
I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)


Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-11-2020, 01:06 AM
JustASimpleGuy JustASimpleGuy is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Adirondack Mountains, Upstate NY
Posts: 2,739
  JustASimpleGuy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
If you had said vanilla candles? I would have said, You're such a girl.
With love, of course.

Hey, I resemble that remark. Wait, no I don't. LOL!

I love the scent of vanilla and I think it goes back to when I was a tiny tot "helping" mom when she was baking, measuring out vanilla extract for some recipe or other. It's said smell is the most powerful of memories.
__________________
"Research your own experience; absorb what is useful, reject what is useless and add what is essentially your own." ~ Bruce Lee

"Of a certainty the man who can see all creatures in himself, himself in all creatures, knows no sorrow." ~ Upanishads

https://tinyurl.com/y2mxr4s2 My YouTube Channel

JASG
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-11-2020, 01:11 AM
Miss Hepburn Miss Hepburn is offline
Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southwest, USA
Posts: 18,819
  Miss Hepburn's Avatar
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
Hey, I resemble that remark.
THAT was the BEST come back ever! LOL, really!
__________________
.

"Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by riding daily in a balloon of divine perception.

Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones...Meditate unceasingly,
that you quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence" ~~Lahiri Mahasaya, the guru of Yogananda's guru.


*
I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)


Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-11-2020, 11:01 AM
Starman Starman is offline
Master
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,835
  Starman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munesh Sanja
Is there any effort Less meditation? If you people know tell me.
You can make any meditation technique effortless. it may not be the technique that is easy or hard; any technique, if done consistently on a regular basis, can gather its own momentum. That momentum, if maintained, will effortlessly carry your meditation practice. But it first takes revving it up and incorporating it into your being. Meditation is so simple that a new born baby does it. I do not do meditation rather meditation is and ever flowing river, and I just quiet my self and jump into that river. Its not so much the technique; it is more about what you are doing on the inside than it is on the outside. In my opinion, it is important to nurture that state of meditation all during our waking hours. There are lots of techniques, finding one that agrees with you is another matter.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 17-03-2021, 06:57 AM
chandersanja chandersanja is offline
Seeker
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 27
 
T.M is effortless meditation.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 17-03-2021, 09:13 AM
Gem Gem is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 20,352
  Gem's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munesh Sanja
Is there any effort Less meditation?


Maybe. It's not that simple.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums