Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 11-07-2021, 02:28 PM
Master
Ajahn Sumedho on meditation: 'Allowing Things To Arise' (essay)

The poster DavidHenson shared Ajahn Sumedho's discourse on the Four Noble Truths in the Buddhism subforum, and in page 41 of the essay, under the sub-heading 'Allowing Things To Arise', Sumedho talks specifically about meditation practice - I think it's an excellent summary of the logic of meditation, so I thought it worth sharing here, for anyone who's interested

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/4nobltru.pdf
Old 13-07-2021, 05:56 PM
Master
Just another note on this, there's more about meditation beginning at the bottom of page 61, under the subheading 'Aspects of Meditation'.
Old 14-07-2021, 02:26 AM
Master
Thanks for sharing
Old 14-07-2021, 10:59 AM
Master
You're welcome, Unseeking Seeker
Old 15-07-2021, 11:28 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by A human Being
Just another note on this, there's more about meditation beginning at the bottom of page 61, under the subheading 'Aspects of Meditation'.
Sorry, it's at the bottom of page 60, not 61.
Old 15-07-2021, 01:30 PM
Master
Quote:
The poster DavidHenson shared Ajahn Sumedho's discourse on the Four Noble Truths in the Buddhism subforum.

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/4nobltru.pdf
You might also enjoy His Teacher's Teachings.
Ajahn Chah .
Old 15-07-2021, 01:42 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
You might also enjoy His Teacher's Teachings.
Ajahn Chah .
I'll check them out, thanks for the recommendation
Old 15-07-2021, 02:43 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Concerning the last paragraph on page 61 that spills over to page 62...

My first true practice is samatha (also called calm abiding) and it's simply awareness of sensations of breath. Notice in the second to last paragraph on page 61 it says there's something unsatisfactory about it because it is dependent on a technique?

I would say the next level described in that last paragraph is akin to resting in awareness, do-nothing, choiceless awareness, shikantaza. In other words effortless or no technique.

Here's the kicker from my own experience and practicing resting in awareness. The resulting perfect peacefulness is right there always whether practicing technique or no technique and even while not practicing. It's always accessible and the trick is to first "touch" it and then realize its significance. Once "touched" it's hard to ignore and the more often "touched" the easier to access outside of formal practice. In essence that's no different than any mindfulness technique, just on a deeper level.
Old 15-07-2021, 06:11 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
Notice in the second to last paragraph on page 61 it says there's something unsatisfactory about it because it is dependent on a technique?I would say the next level described in that last paragraph is akin to resting in awareness, do-nothing, choiceless awareness, shikantaza.
Is that transition to choiceless awareness something that happened on its own for you, or do you have to make a conscious choice? The perfect peacefulness you mentioned isn't something I've experienced myself as yet (EDIT: Not in formal meditation practice, at least), I'm thinking there's been too much unresolved trauma and emotional upset within me to this point.

Last edited by A human Being : 16-07-2021 at 03:01 PM.
Old 15-07-2021, 06:55 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Is that transition to choiceless awareness something that happened on its own for you, or do you have to make a conscious choice?
Here's where I first came upon it being named or explained by Jon Kabat-Zinn, I think in 2015.

https://youtu.be/5TeWvf-nfpA?list=PL...PNokg&t=120 5

The interesting thing is from my experience it's a really subtle transition from calm abiding to choiceless awareness and I eventually realized I had been subtly slipping into effortlessness for very brief periods while practicing calm abiding. It's when breath becomes so subtle as to not be noticeable and the attending, if it's still volitional, is minimally volitional. I say minimally volitional because I would notice breath become so subtle as to be unnoticeable so I was attending something no longer in evidence and without any distractions taking its place.

After hearing this from Jon I began to work on and expand it, first for seconds, then minutes and eventually an entire sitting of 30 - 45 minutes where it's truly second-nature. It's just letting go of everything and just being present. "Noticing" anything and everything that arises, lingers and subsides in awareness including the observer. For me the ultimate manifestation is those sittings that seemingly end just as they begin even though the timer is set for 30-45 minutes. Time and space drop out and after the timer goes off it's not like I wasn't "there". I was and I wasn't if that makes sense. It's hard to explain but supreme silence, stillness or serenity is close.

It's certainly challenging at first and a good base in mindfulness really helps. It helps to have a somewhat focused and concentrated mind to pull it off.