Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature > Animals

Old 06-06-2014, 12:58 PM
Ascender
The UK Royal Family is divided over foie gras

The UK Royal Ramily is visiting France to commemorate D-Day. They are to be wined and dined by the French President. I just found this article, which shows a difference of opinion between Prince Charles and the Queen over foie gras. The basic facts are: "The state dinner has already proved controversial as it has been revealed that the Queen has asked for foie gras to be served – despite Prince Charles banning it from his menus, saying the gavage force-feeding is cruel."

You can read the full article here:
http://connexionfrance.com/Queen-Holland...ticle.html

Old habits die hard, it seems....But at least Charles is aware of the animal welfare aspect. The sooner this appallingly cruel method of food production is banned, the better. (Any forum member who doesn't know what foie gras is or how it is produced, is invited to do a net search).
Old 06-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Ecthalion

It is truly remarkable that this barbaric practise is still legal.
I am surprised that Charles objects to foie gras though, as he gives not a hoot for the animals he hunts.
Thank you for bringing the topic to our attention LPC
Old 06-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Master

A disgusting practice....

Very sad that it still goes on. Would dearly love to see it banned, though such high profile endorsement (the Queen) only prolongs the agony...

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 06-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Master
Staff Edit - not nice to put all one nationality under one umbrella )

Last edited by Lynn : 06-06-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Ascender
Well, I'm British, so you won't upset me. But as the starter of this thread I don't want it to be derailed into some "anti French" tirade. I live in France and know the country well. Many of my French friends are actively opposed to the trade. French animal welfare organisations are campaigning to have it banned.

The problem is more to do with the trade in foie gras. Many top restaurants, even in countries where the production is banned, import foie gras. The UK is a case in point. See this article:

http://www.viva.org.uk/resources/cam...ras-fact-sheet

Note this passage:

"192 tonnes of foie-gras was imported into the UK in 2010 according to French industry figures. The UK consumes more French foie-gras than Germany, twice as much as Italy and four times more than Holland. (Commerce extérieur francais: foie-gras. FranceAgriMer, November 2011). This represents a value of €3.54 million (around £2.85 million) per year. According to import figures this has increased from 127 tonnes in 2006, but latest figures show a small decline (-1.6 per cent between 2010-2011). However, the true figure of animal product imported because of this trade is likely to be much higher, as this statistic does not include duck/goose meat, goose fat or other by-products. As of 2010, this data is no longer collected (as data on foie-gras has now been assimilated into other meat products) (HM Revenue and Customs 2010). This means that the Government has little idea how much of a product that would be illegal to produce in this country is imported into the UK. Most foie-gras in the UK is sold by restaurants, bistros and pubs."

So the point above about French being "barbarians in many ways" is really a red herring (and could be regarded as racist), and let's concentrate on what really matters. Realistically, the trade will continue as long as there is a demand for it (including in the UK, Europe and the USA). Publicity - and lots of it - is the only way this cruel trade will be stopped.

Now let's return to the original topic. The point of the thread is that the Queen of the UK is specially asking for foie gras in the banquet in France, whilst her son is refusing to eat it on animal welfare grounds. I would have expected our Head of State to set an example on this issue, but sady this is not the case. The Royal Family are also well known for their pro-hunting views.
Old 14-06-2014, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator
It's horrific that foie gras hasn't yet been banned by animal welfare lobbyists. And it's strange that the people who eat it can be so dissociated from feeling that they can turn a blind eye quite contentedly, while eating it, and supporting this industry!
I have never eaten it in my life. I was only a child when told how foie gras is produced, and I found what I learned to be too much to even contemplate eating it!

I am disappointed in the Queen! And others who eat it.
Old 17-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Natasharabbit

No animal should be made to suffer. This is legalized cruelty at its worst.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”

― Mahatma Gandhi
Old 17-06-2014, 10:33 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasharabbit
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
Well quoted!