Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 19-04-2024, 01:27 AM
Master

I guess another area of violence, which some here may dispute, are certain sports. But even violent sports are said to be done all in fun. Back in the days of the Roman Empire gladiators killed each other as sport while the crowd cheered. I practice kick boxing to keep myself in shape, but I am not an aggressor. Anger is fine, it is how we express anger that may lead to violence. Also hunting animals for food is one thing but killing animals for sport, in my opinion, is another.
Old 19-04-2024, 04:47 AM
Master

A more esoteric view on violence may be seen in the nature of duality, or opposites. Opposites are the same in nature but different in degree. The swing of the pendulum to the right equals the swing of the pendulum to the left and vice versa.

It amazes me how violence, which is divisive, often brings people together and unites us. People come together when there is a major attack or violent act which might be meant to tear people apart and divide us. We seek comfort from each other when there is a shattering violence.

I think this creation is based on competition which is often violent; everything comes out of everything else and everything goes back into everything else. It seems sometimes, to me, that the creation gives birth to itself and then it devours itself in a perpetual give and take.
Old 19-04-2024, 04:47 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
JustBe, I can only speak for myself, and in so doing holding my center is detachment from this world for me. I do not follow some prescribed dogmatic or reasonable approach based on mind or those whom may be seen as masters.

When we speak, regardless whether we are addressing others or not, we are always talking to ourselves and confirming what we hold to be true.
For me holding centre is also noticing when my centre is off, through reaction to external happenings. I address my reactions to hold a more truthful grounded presence. Truth in this way is not about holding onto a fixed belief but rather flowing with what is as it is, being truthful from an inward open state. In this way I’m not detached, but rather, fully open in myself, allowing for the full expression of myself. Of course, tending to your reaction is unique to your truth as to how you manage yourself in all things required as your truth.

I think the ‘full expression’ of self can very difficult for many in the face of violence of our world. The more violent it becomes, the more fears face is ignited. It is through the extreme violence, I feel, we come together more banded as a whole and as an individual, we have our own personal activations, we can address by going deeper into our own connection.

I think in becoming you deeper in the face of collective suffering, and how it all plays out, you open yourself and the world within, to move into new ways, new creations. As you’ve mentioned their are all sides and streams of creation playing out, so where we focus ( without ignoring our piece in all that) we gain a deeper grounded connection, that lends to those struggling, to move beyond their own suffering.

I think as humans, the wise self ( realised) brings to light most naturally, an expression that is felt and moves without effort or force. Violence on the other hand forces truth to be highlighted in extreme ways. Not just for individuals but for the collective as one.
Old 20-04-2024, 06:41 AM
Master

MMA-Mixed Martial Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
Back in the days of the Roman Empire gladiators killed each other as sport while the crowd cheered.

Now days we have MMA, boxing etc. Watching two humans hurt each other for entertainment. Also those video shows where somebody gets hurt on a bike or skateboard or whatever and people in the audience laugh. Humans are strange. Oh and violent movies are popular and horror movies again watching humans harm each other for entertainment.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn : 20-04-2024 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Added what the acronym stands for.
Old 20-04-2024, 09:22 AM
Master

This past Friday, yesterday, a man set himself on fire in New York City; he was not attacked but he did do self inflicted violence to himself. Often people who commit violence on others are suicidal themselves.

I feel strongly that mental health issues need to be given more attention, but while mental illness may be a reason, in my opinion, it is not an excuse for violence. I think mental illness is too often used as a crutch for violence.

I remember back in 1967 when I was in Vietnam during wartime; it happened at least twice, maybe more, that Buddhist monks would sit down in the street and set themselves on fire to protest injustice.

Back in those days people, civil rights activists, etc., used to not eat, starve themselves as a means of protest. I thought that was extreme enough but setting yourself on fire I could not understand such self inflicted violence.
Old 20-04-2024, 09:39 AM
Master
I think you'll have to go through it yourself to understand it. If I was someone else I'd have all their experiences, all their memories, likes and dislikes, and... I'd end up EXACTLY the same. So it is hard to judge if you think of it like that, however, we are now our own 'person' and from that point of view it is easy to judge.
Old 20-04-2024, 12:04 PM
Administrator
I would agree with Starman especially Mental health issues. the thing is it is affecting kids now more than it ever did. or maybe its more open now

Namaste
Old 20-04-2024, 02:19 PM
Master
It seems like everyone wants to go to Heaven but not till they have one more party in Hell. LOL!

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 20-04-2024, 05:49 PM
Master
I was involved in a discussion recently where people were bemoaning the friction caused by religious practices in school, very reasonable points being made, but then it dawned on me that I couldn't think of a single incident at our multifaith school that led to any violence due to differences in religion, so I thought what did cause friction between pupils and the main one for me was different music genres, I even thought football may be there but can only remember banter between different supporters, the other cause I think was to establish a place in the upper hierarchy.
Old 20-04-2024, 09:16 PM
Master

I agree Nativespirit, it is affecting kids more, and I feel like our mental health system is failing. In the U.S. health insurance does not cover mental illness the same way it covers physical injury or illness. I also feel like the traditional models of talk therapy do not always work. We have had people who while they were in therapy with a psychologist went out and committed violence against other people.

I can not speak for other countries but in my opinion the U.S. needs a more comprehensive mental health system. To Podshell’s point, yesterday a high school kid was arrested in Maryland for plotting to shoot up and kill children in his former elementary school and in his high school. He wrote in online messages that “children were easy targets.” This was someone who was in high school and wanted to go back to his elementary school and kill students.

His reasons, according to police, was that he wanted to be famous. He also said he wanted to kill lots of students and become a serial killer. He is 18-years old and has a reported history of mental illness.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/maryland-...main-character