Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 11-03-2023, 07:47 PM
Master
Mind, body and awareness identity

Do you believe you are awareness?
Or just the body?
Or mind?
Or do you believe you are all three as the same one thing?
Or do you believe you are awareness aware of mind and body?

Do you believe there is a seperation between awareness and body, or that they are one and the same thing.
Old 12-03-2023, 07:58 AM
Master

Those questions are so hard to unpack.

I think the thing we really are, and not the stuff we "have" or experience through the inward and outward senses is invisible. It's undetectable energy. So since what we really are cannot be seen or experienced in any way, we react and believe in the seen and felt. The body, the face, the beliefs, opinions, the voice, actions, what is spoken, what they/we do, wear, their/our age etc.

"I am" is this body to myself and the culture and world. To my friends, my parents, my co-workers, children, strangers. We take pictures of ourselves (our bodies and faces) post them online. Here I am in this photo! Here is what I am eating and doing. I try to look good in the photo's. Maybe add a filter.

I believe in life after death so I don't believe I am the body or the brain's products and content. But as long as I am in a body, everyone will treat me like this is who and what I am. I experience everything through this body. I communicate with this body. I listen with this body. I am this body for now! I step on a splinter I feel it. If someone pulls on my hair I feel it. If I eat too much I feel it. If someone is mean to me or calls me a name or threatens me I feel it.

For now, all of this is what I am. All of it. The body, the thoughts, the memories, the story, the feelings, the good and bad, the background. But then at some point we leave the body then we are something and someone else. We probably have a different name. The name we had before this incarnation and the name we will remember after it, when our true memories are no longer blocked. When we remember our true identity again.

The trippy thing would be if we leave that astral body as well at some point and then regain other memories and remember another different identity. That's like that old science fiction movie about the guy who wakes up from a "dream world" into the "real world" then at the end of the movie we discover (and the character) that the second world was a dream as well. I can never remember the name of that movie but it was good.
Old 12-03-2023, 05:42 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewwerrin
Do you believe there is a seperation between awareness and body, or that they are one and the same thing.
The fact that we are aware of the body indicates that we are something separate from the body.

Likewise the fact that we are aware of the mind and the thoughts arising in the mind indicates that we are something separate from the mind.

And we are aware of our personality which indicates that we are something separate from this personality.

Awareness of something requires that we are separate from that thing.

And we refer to "my body" and "my mind". Who is the "me" who regards the mind and body as "mine"?

Plus the fact that the mind and body and personality are always changing, yet our identity remains constant. If we were the mind and body and personality then our identity would be continually changing. But that consciousness which is gazing out of my eyes is unchanged from that consciousness which gazed out of my eyes fifty years ago.

Peace
Old 12-03-2023, 08:30 PM
Knower

I believe experience is more important than belief.
Old 12-03-2023, 09:10 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanantic
I believe experience is more important than belief.

YES
Old 13-03-2023, 04:14 PM
Knower

Only knowing what is true ends belief. Find out what is true.
Old 13-03-2023, 04:31 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingalways
Only knowing what is true ends belief. Find out what is true.

"Do not pay undue attention to the passing scenes of life. You are the immortal self (consciousness) living only temporarily in a dream that is sometimes (imagined) to be a nightmare. That is the higher philosophy (and truth) of the mystics." -- Yogananda

"The soul is undergoing a dream from which it must awake. This dream represents our association and identification with the world. The fact that it is described as being a dream means that whatever is in it has to be false. Nothing in a dream can be true. Waking up from that dream is the ultimate goal, Self-realization." -- The main theme of "Yoga Vasistha"
Old 14-03-2023, 01:38 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanantic
"Do not pay undue...
... theme of "Yoga Vasistha"
I so much want to wake up from this nightmare.

So much!

I would be willing to do anything to wake up from this nightmare.

But so far, nothing I have ever done has ever had any permanent affect.
Old 14-03-2023, 02:33 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
The fact....
.... eyes fifty years ago.
Peace
i always feel like my identity is ever changing, my mind and body being all that I am, and it is tormenting.

How can I develop the same unchanging awareness and consciousness as my identity, as you have?
Old 14-03-2023, 05:22 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewwerrin
i always feel like my identity is ever changing, my mind and body being all that I am, and it is tormenting. How can I develop the same unchanging awareness and consciousness as my identity, as you have?
I must admit that it is difficult for me to imagine feeling like an ever-changing identity.

Is there no sense of anything constant? Yes, the body changes, the mind changes, our emotional states change, the personality as a whole may change over time. But is the Ewwerrin of today the same individual entity as the Ewwerrin who was once a child?

Or to express it differently, is the "I" now functioning in an adult body the same "I" which once functioned in the body of a child?

And to take it a step further, you say "i always feel like my identity is ever changing ...." The fact that you are aware of your identity always changing suggests that there is some part of you which is not changing, in order for you to be able to recognise the change.

If you were just your ever-changing identity then you would not recognise the change. There is something constant within you which recognises your current state of identity and is able to compare it with your previous state of identity.

I am not sure if I am making my point clear.

As for how to develop this unchanging awareness, then I can recommend 40+ years of meditation. But I realise that meditation is not easy for you. But then it has not always been easy for me, especially my first year.

Peace