Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 15-01-2022, 03:08 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Thanks to all who have responded. IMO it is to understand what is meant by mourning. We rapidly jump to thinking of the experience of losing a loved one. We can expand this to many things: loss of our fortune, loss of our status, even the losing of our favorite team or politician. All of these things represent attachments.

I wonder if you would say this face to face to your partner, child, etc. ''Sorry, but me caring is an attachment, I must be detached from you.'' Or that you'd feel no sadness when a pet dies. Or that you don't care about your money ((feel free to give all of it away..)).

Mourning is fine. It's a human thing. Is it a nice experience? No. Not everything is fluff. This is just life. It rocks and it sucks.
Old 15-01-2022, 03:26 PM
Ascender

Hello.

If the beatitudes are read as being a message for those followers of the way gathered together at that time--a message of gratitude, combined with acknowledgement and understanding of what lay ahead in terms of testing and difficult times-- then the the "blessed are they" can be understood as conveying that gratitude combined with encouragement and deep respect for those who were to endure( and possibly already had endured) such tribulations and soul searching as a consequence of choosing to follow the way.

This does not mean that the text is not relevant to us today, but only that it was perhaps of more particular and immediate relevance to those gathered together at that time.

The reference to "mourning" in the that context I would understand as not necessarily being for "mourning" in general, but "mourning" occasioned by the death of friends/relatives who suffered death, or were to suffer death, as a consequence of being followers of the way.

I sincerely hope that this observation does not cause offence . x
Old 15-01-2022, 04:07 PM
Master
Quote:
“Blessed are they who mourn” is the second Beatitude. If there is a hierarchy of Beatitudes why is this next to the top ? It sounds counterintuitive to think that mourning is a blessing. Any thoughts about the meaning and wisdom of this ?

To me, it is a rehash of what is written in Isaiah 61:1-3.

I look at it that Matthew 11:28 solidifies the thought even further.

The Beatitudes are controversial, especially the next one which many seem to add a 'not' in the later part of that verse.

As for this possibly being the second most important Beatitude? Look at the first Beatitude and the controversies surrounding it and then contrast that with the 3rd Beatitude. From my viewpoint, the Beatitudes contain the core teachings from Jesus and the whole purpose of what the 'Old Testament' was leading up to.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 15-01-2022, 05:31 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
To me, it is a rehash of what is written in Isaiah 61:1-3.

I look at it that Matthew 11:28 solidifies the thought even further.

The Beatitudes are controversial, especially the next one which many seem to add a 'not' in the later part of that verse.

BigJohn,

As far as rehash goes it must be remembered that the OT and the NT were directed to different audiences. And ‘rehash’ has the potential of either clarifying or amplifying any particular verse. We frequently look to different translations to better understand scripture. As much as some would like to think there is no such thing as the ‘correct’ version of the Bible.

In regards to the Beatitudes being controversial it would help to share examples. Controversial to who and to what ? I would agree if you changed scripture to a negative instead of a positive ( by adding a ‘not’) that would change both the words and the meaning….totally. I did kill someone is very coiffure to than I did not kill someone. Are there translations that have inserted a ‘not’ in the third Beatitude ?
Old 15-01-2022, 06:08 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
I wonder if you would say this face to face to your partner, child, etc. ''Sorry, but me caring is an attachment, I must be detached from you.'' Or that you'd feel no sadness when a pet dies. Or that you don't care about your money ((feel free to give all of it away..)).

Altair,

It happens all the time….it is called divorce. We choose our attachments and must keep in mind that there is cause and effect. Be(cause) I married you one of the inevitable effects is that you will die. The question becomes: How will I deal with this effect ? That is also a choice……if it is unending mourning would we have preferred for our loved one to suffer endlessly by clinging to life ? Is my happiness more important than her happiness ? Death can be seen as bringing freedom to both parties. Choose instead the life giving option.
Old 15-01-2022, 06:18 PM
Master
''Attachments'', ''clinging to life'', ''unending mourning'' etc. reveal where you are coming from. There is a lack of recognition for complexity there. Why judge people that mourn? Don't make the mistake of thinking your own detachment is some kind of standard or goal for everyone or even ''required'' for some hocus pocus. It says something about you, but not about humanity in general.

If people mourn than I think that is healthy. If they don't then I'm rather suspicious. Mourning is a process people go through, and it's up to them for how long.
Old 15-01-2022, 06:26 PM
Molearner

In the case of death it helps if one believes in the life eternal. Our comfort becomes that with our freedom we can choose how to remember our loved one. Either suffering in pain or as he/she lived in a prior time. More importantly we are drawn to God realization and that He “walks with us thru the shadow of death”.
Old 15-01-2022, 06:34 PM
Master
Mourning....

The word 'Mourning' has various usages, we can mourn over our own sins/mistakes which make some feel separated from God. As I said in a previous Post, Mourning leads to Repentance which leads to inner Comfort.
Repent and your 'Sins' will be forgiven.
Old 15-01-2022, 06:40 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair

If people mourn than I think that is healthy. If they don't then I'm rather suspicious. Mourning is a process people go through, and it's up to them for how long.

Altair,

The Bible says precisely the same thing: Blessed are they that mourn. ‘Blessed’ by definition implies healthy, good, etc. It is good that you understand that it is a process rather than something with no ending.
Old 15-01-2022, 07:12 PM
Master
Quote:

EXCERPT

As far as rehash goes it must be remembered that the OT and the NT were directed to different audiences.
I am under the impression that both the 'Old' and 'New' Testaments were directed to God's People and then secondarily, to all of mankind.

Quote:
In regards to the Beatitudes being controversial it would help to share examples.
The Beautitude I mentioned was the third one which reads: "Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth." I was under the impression that most people do not believe that.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.