Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Interfaith

Old 26-08-2020, 12:26 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
Over a couple of decades I studied the 5-most populated religions in this world; Buddhism,
Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism, and Islam, and looked for their commonalities more so
than their differences.

Each of these religions are umbrella religions that have many denominations or sects under
them, and the various denominations and sects all have variations on the theme of the
particular umbrella religion to which they belong.

I attended Buddhist temples, Christian churches, Jewish synagogues, Islamic mosques,
and Hindu temples, to observe and participate in their particular services.

I consider my path to be spiritual but not religious as I follow no particular religion.
An I also looked at some of the lesser popular religions, and spiritual groups, as well.
It was a very fascinating interfaith endeavor for me.

Like yourself, I explored the various religions and their commonalities as well as their different approaches.

I was fortunate to have the wherewithal to travel to almost 50 countries where I met some extraordinary beings from the various traditions in their own cultural setting.

Your advice is excellent. It worked for me as well as for many of my interfaith friends.
Old 26-08-2020, 01:55 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
Over a couple of decades I studied the 5-most populated religions in this world; Buddhism,
Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism, and Islam, and looked for their commonalities more so
than their differences.

Each of these religions are umbrella religions that have many denominations or sects under
them, and the various denominations and sects all have variations on the theme of the
particular umbrella religion to which they belong.

I attended Buddhist temples, Christian churches, Jewish synagogues, Islamic mosques,
and Hindu temples, to observe and participate in their particular services.

I consider my path to be spiritual but not religious as I follow no particular religion.
An I also looked at some of the lesser popular religions, and spiritual groups, as well.
It was a very fascinating interfaith endeavor for me.

What you wrote resonates exactly what I would write!

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 26-08-2020, 03:11 PM
ketzer

Perhaps the most important common thread, IMHO, that one can keep in mind regarding all of those different religions mentioned above, is that they were all invented and are maintained by human beings. All I expect, different ways of trying to address common underlying human needs. Among those needs is the need for answers to common questions. Though the answers differ considerably, the questions themselves do tell us a lot, about humans, and about all those different religions.
Old 30-08-2020, 07:20 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Ironside
Hi all

I am a practicing neopagan with a strong interest in and respect for all religions/spiritual paths. I feel a calling to Interfaith work however I am unsure of how to begin. I would like to be involved in promoting harmony and understanding between different religions and in the process grow spiritually as I also learn from the wisdom of different spiritual paths.

Does anyone here have any suggestions?

I once knew a chap like you.

He was Wiccan but honestly believed people, no matter what belief system/religion, share common beliefs.

He was so enthused on this idea that he would hold Fairs promoting such ideas!

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 31-08-2020, 12:58 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketzer
Perhaps the most important common thread, IMHO, that one can keep in mind regarding all of those different religions mentioned above, is that they were all invented and are maintained by human beings. All I expect, different ways of trying to address common underlying human needs. Among those needs is the need for answers to common questions. Though the answers differ considerably, the questions themselves do tell us a lot, about humans, and about all those different religions.

Over the last couple of weeks, I spoke to some of my Quaker friends about reviving ONLINE the Spiritual Readings group that I used to attend before the pandemic.

Although the Quakers started as a very Christian-centric group, it has become very welcoming to people of all wisdom traditions at least from what I am seeing at the Brooklyn (New York City) Meeting House.

In addition to being welcoming of all traditions:

- there are no clergy
- there is total male-female equality
- there are no prejudices and they are supportive of the GLBT community
- there is no dogma that MUST be believed
- the meetings are silent EXCEPT when any member is inspired to speak
- "Service" begins after the meeting

I'm not sure if all Quaker Meeting groups are identical but my Brooklyn experience has been absolutely awesome.
Old 31-08-2020, 02:50 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
Over the last couple of weeks, I spoke to some of my Quaker friends about reviving ONLINE the Spiritual Readings group that I used to attend before the pandemic.

Although the Quakers started as a very Christian-centric group, it has become very welcoming to people of all wisdom traditions at least from what I am seeing at the Brooklyn (New York City) Meeting House.

- there are no clergy

I'm not sure if all Quaker Meeting groups are identical but my Brooklyn experience has been absolutely awesome.

I incorporated a religious group which I hoped would spread.

Our way of doing things were very similar to the Quakers.

We had lecturers, classes and meditations in which anybody could do any if not all of the above. We believed the Holy Spirit would make sure there was 'order'. We never experienced any problems.

Old 31-08-2020, 08:33 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters

- there are no clergy

It sounds nice. It would be interesting to stick around a few hundred years (or maybe even just a few decades) and see where it goes. Whenever a group opens its borders and relaxes it's requirements, I always wonder if it will end up disintegrating away without those structures to hold it in place. I am not much of one for all that structure myself, but I often wonder if a religion can remain distinct as such without it.
Old 31-08-2020, 09:17 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketzer
It sounds nice. It would be interesting to stick around a few hundred years (or maybe even just a few decades) and see where it goes. Whenever a group opens its borders and relaxes it's requirements, I always wonder if it will end up disintegrating away without those structures to hold it in place. I am not much of one for all that structure myself, but I often wonder if a religion can remain distinct as such without it.
Quakers seem to have no problems in that of remaining distinct.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
I incorporated a religious group which I hoped would spread.

Our way of doing things were very similar to the Quakers.

We had lecturers, classes and meditations in which anybody could do any if not all of the above. We believed the Holy Spirit would make sure there was 'order'. We never experienced any problems.

What happened to that group ? It would seem to be an ideal setup especially nowadays with ZOOM connecting people from all over the world.

Would you consider continuing that ONLINE during the pandemic with meetings continuing in people's homes AFTER the pandemic?
Old 01-09-2020, 03:12 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Quakers seem to have no problems in that of remaining distinct.

Only because they are known for their oatmeal and other breakfast cereals.

If you didn't see them on that box every morning, then what?

That's what you need to do if you want to keep your religion alive John, come out with a line of breakfast cereals. That would do the trick.