Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 24-07-2021, 12:40 PM
Knower
Understanding The Bible: Description

One of the most important aspects of understanding the Bible is acknowledging that 1, it is fallible and 2, that it wasn't written specifically for us. The inspired word of God, as it was given to the writers of the Bible, is infallible. That isn't what we are reading when we read the Bible. We are reading the translation of the Bible, which isn't inspired and so isn't infallible. It contains mistakes, spurious scriptures or interpolations, mistranslations and translator biases.

For example, a mistake: translators didn't know what the word pim meant so they translated the word into file instead of measuring weight or transliterate it simply into pim. (1 Samuel 13:20-21)

Spurious scripture: That the disciples of Christ would handle serpents and drink poison without harm wasn't in the original manuscripts. Mark 16:9-20 are spurious. The same with Jesus telling the people who brought the prostitute to him that those who are without sin should cast the first stone. Didn't happen. It was made up and added later. (John 7:53-8:11)

Mistranslation: Easter. At Acts 12:4 Easter is rendered where Passover should be. Compare the King James Version with the International Standard Version.

Translator Bias: Another spurious scripture is an attempt to insert the pagan trinity into scripture. At 1 John 5:7 the following was added: "in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one." were added.

So what does this all mean? Why is it so important?

God dictated to the writers of the Bible what was important to specific people at a specific time according to what was necessary in those specific times and places. Then those writings were preserved for an example to us. It's a history of God's interaction with mankind.

What God said to Adam in Adam's time, is different than what he said to John in John's time. It changes as the circumstances change. If we look at it like it is specifically directed at us we miss a great deal and we change it's meaning.

People tend to venerate the Bible in the form of the doctrinal tradition and confusion rather than God and his inspired word. They misplace their faith. In doing so they miss it's meaning. (Jude 1:3-7)

My next thread will explore just that; the meaning of the Bible.
Old 24-07-2021, 03:13 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHenson

Mistranslation: Easter. At Acts 12:4 Easter is rendered where Passover should be. Compare the King James Version with the International Standard.
Not to forget King James altered the Verses that condemned His Personal behaviour. He was very astute.....
Old 24-07-2021, 03:22 PM
Master
What the Bible tells us...

I believe in the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, and in His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, Who for us and our salvation...
Was conceived by the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried,
On the third day He rose again...
He ascended into Heaven...
From whence He will come to judge the quick and the dead...(Acts 1:11)

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 24-07-2021, 04:00 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Not to forget King James altered the Verses that condemned His Personal behaviour. He was very astute.....

I haven't heard that before. I wouldn't be surprised, but I haven't heard it said before.
Old 24-07-2021, 04:06 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
What the Bible tells us...

Morpheus,

In response to post #3: I have never heard of the expression the quick and the dead used like that. Interesting. What are your thoughts on Acts 24:15: "And I have hope toward God, which hope these men also look forward to, that there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous."
Old 24-07-2021, 04:31 PM
Master
Quote:
I haven't heard that before. I wouldn't be surprised, but I haven't heard it said before.
Yes it is well know by Historians who have checked various verses which are actually listed and available to anyone who's interested. As you said it doesn't come as a surprise. He was a very educated Man, fluent in various Languages and knew how to play the game....
Old 24-07-2021, 05:44 PM
Master
Quote:
EXCERPT Spurious scripture: That the disciples of Christ would handle serpents and drink poison without harm wasn't in the original manuscripts. Mark 16:9-20 are spurious.
This is one of the many classics that people cling to.

Hard to get somebody to change such views. Even those who do not believe the Bible still, in many cases, believe these spurious scriptures that were added.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 24-07-2021, 05:49 PM
Molearner

The ultimate success of religion points directly to the elimination of religion. That is 'religion' defined in its etymological meaning. From the Latin....ligare, meaning to connect...re implying to reconnect. We are to reconnect to what was lost.....and what was lost was our connection to God and our ability to communicate with God.

The means for doing this is to actually become spiritual....to be born again. Applicable verses:

"Taste and see that the Lord is good"....a call to experience God
"Ye must be born again".....the first part of John 3
John5;39-40...."you diligently study the scripture because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the scriptures that testify about me, yet YOU REFUSE TO COME TO ME TO HAVE LIFE"....life is having a direct experience of the life that comes from becoming spiritual and being born again.

"Know the truth and the truth shall set you free".....not only freedom from ignorance but also freedom from the necessity of religion....because you are now spiritual and "the Spirit leads to all truth"

Free also from fear and the absence of love.....obtainimg "the peace that passeth all understanding"

Petitionary prayer.....will it really be necessary if you now possess the most valuable thing....the Spirit ?

The problem with casting doubt on the Scripture is that people will no longer trust it as a reliable source....despite translation errors...the truth is still there. But no trusting the Bible will discourage people from ever reading the above mentioned scriptures.

The invention of the printing press and the Protestant reformation introduced a huge change. The scriptures no longer remained the exclusive possession of the priesthood. People could now read the Scriptures for themselves and personally meditate on the meaning.

If we disavow the Scriptures and cast doubt on their value we are simply establishing a new priesthood. One of intellectuals....and intellectuals have a tendency to gravitate to the reliance on the scientific....that is where they seek validation. This, to me, is a dangerous ceding of responsibility. If we are to have a 'priesthood" I would prefer the priesthood of believers.

Just my personal opinion.....caveat emptor still applies....both to me and to everyone with a differing approach......
Old 24-07-2021, 06:17 PM
Molearner

In my rush to the press I was very amiss. I should of qualified “ the elimination of religion” to the elimination of religion as we know it. We do not wish to be viewed as “a stiff-necked people that will not bow their heads. If there is a religion it should be oriented to praise and gratitude. It should be the assembly of the humble…recognizing the love of God and acknowledging of the grace that He has given us…..namely salvation, faith and the Spirit.
Old 24-07-2021, 07:03 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
If we disavow the Scriptures and cast doubt on their value we are simply establishing a new priesthood.

The thing about truth is that you can't make it better and you can't make it worse. You have to take it as it is. The believers looking for a whitewashed truth will cling to a whitewashed truth and the unbelievers looking for a disparaged truth will find it. The few looking for pure truth will find pure truth.