Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 09-07-2021, 11:50 AM
Ascender
Karma dissolution and our true nature

Following this thread.
https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/s....php?p=2051408

So basically to realize enlightenment, one need to go though karma dissolution. This is something quite hard to understand as karma is a vague notion, has many definition and interpretations.
But to me this is related to letting go of our identity.

This is just a technical discussion, once you are in Samadhi, I think it just happens by itself ;)

Please, sky, the floor is yours
Old 09-07-2021, 01:04 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume

So basically to realize enlightenment, one need to go though karma dissolution.
Not according to Buddhism.
Attaining enlightenment does not instantly cancel all Karma. In the Buddha's life there were a number of Karmic issues that He had to deal with after His Enlightenment. He would not have generated more new Karma but would still need to deal with the old..
Old 09-07-2021, 01:13 PM
Ascender
Ah okay, interesting.

What would be your definition (in your own words) of karma?
Old 09-07-2021, 01:48 PM
Master
Quote:
Ah okay, interesting.

Cause and effect... The Universal Law.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:54 PM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
So basically to realize enlightenment, one need to go though karma dissolution. But to me this is related to letting go of our identity.

I understand this now as I had an insight into it recently. Explaining it in words is difficult as so many elements are present in it. I'm not even sure where I would begin.

Everything you said there is true though.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:43 PM
AbodhiSky

Quote:

It is as sky said "Cause and effect..." a universal law and it is also related to "our identity" or personality or ego or habits. (whatever word one is comfortable with)

So the two go together. Who we are, how we interpret and perceive, how we relate to externals and internals, what we do (the cause) and (the karmic effect) what happens to us.

Our way of being, who and what we are is what draws our circumstances and experiences. That is karma. The two, identity and environment/experience, cannot be separated. Though one can, though free will, inhabit environments one is not karmically producing.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:52 PM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
this is related to letting go of our identity

We let go of habits, conditioning, identifications, so that our identity becomes less burdened, like sweeping dust off of a mirror so that it reflects light better.

We never get rid of ourselves, we get rid of things that were contaminations, imperfections, falsely thought of or identified with as self.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:54 PM
Master
Quote:
So basically to realize enlightenment, one need to go though karma dissolution. This is something quite hard to understand
But to me this is related to letting go of our identity.
The theory is, you stop generating new kamma, and the outcomes of old kamma continue to arise in conscious experience and pass away. Buddha was pretty specific about Kamma being volition, so the meditation is basically a cessation of volition. Volition is what perpetuates ego in time, so what you say pretty much fits the Buddhist narrative.
Old 10-07-2021, 03:16 AM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Buddha was pretty specific about Kamma being volition, so the meditation is basically a cessation of volition.

Volition gets to the root of it.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:21 AM
Ascender
Thanks for your answers, it's helping!

I now have the intuition that the mental plane is like a mathematical group, and the causal plane the logical operators we define on it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_(mathematics)

Speaking in more common language, there are intuitions (mental plane) and the analogies we do with other intuitions, or how they chain with each other (cause and effect).

I need to go now, but I'll come back!