Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16-08-2021, 10:57 PM
mary isaak mary isaak is offline
Knower
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 107
  mary isaak's Avatar
Non duality and Islam

Hi, I think real islamic teachings are very close to the non dual understanding. Any ideas on this ?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17-08-2021, 12:36 AM
Still_Waters Still_Waters is offline
Master
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 3,061
  Still_Waters's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary isaak
Hi, I think real islamic teachings are very close to the non dual understanding. Any ideas on this ?
One of my favorite quotes from the Quran is Surah 57-3, which does seem to suggest non-duality.
https://www.islamawakened.com/quran/57/3/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 17-08-2021, 12:48 AM
mary isaak mary isaak is offline
Knower
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 107
  mary isaak's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
One of my favorite quotes from the Quran is Surah 57-3, which does seem to suggest non-duality.
Thanks for the link Still_Waters, I ve read this verse many times before, but never noticed that it was about non duality. Soo interesting, Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17-08-2021, 10:36 PM
iamthat iamthat is offline
Master
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Golden Bay, New Zealand
Posts: 2,453
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary isaak
Hi, I think real islamic teachings are very close to the non dual understanding. Any ideas on this ?

How do we define real Islamic teachings? For me, Sufism is the real heart of Islam. And in Sufism we find the concept of Wahdat al-Wujud.

From Wikipedia:

Ibn Arabi's doctrine of wahdat ul wujud focuses on the esoteric reality of creatures instead of exoteric dimension of reality. Therefore he interprets that wujud is one and unique reality from which all reality derives. The external world of sensible objects is but a fleeting shadow of the Real (al-Haq), God. God alone is the all embracing and eternal reality. ... To call wujud or Real Being "one" is to speak of the unity of the Essence.

Peace
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18-08-2021, 02:20 AM
mary isaak mary isaak is offline
Knower
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 107
  mary isaak's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
How do we define real Islamic teachings? For me, Sufism is the real heart of Islam. And in Sufism we find the concept of Wahdat al-Wujud....
Soo interesting, yes I see Sufism as truly the heart of Islam, thank you for the reference about Ibn Arabi . However, the mainstream understanding of Islam today is very dualistic, although a big part of Quran is talking about Oneness. And, Quran considers shirk [multiplicity], usually translated as associating partners to God, as the major and unique error. It was very confusing for me until I found the teachings about Non-duality.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn : 19-08-2021 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Shortened quote as Admin has asked to 2-3 sentences
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18-08-2021, 04:05 AM
Rishi27 Rishi27 is offline
Newbie ;)
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 20
 
No, there can not be, separation in a non-dual state, Islam is all about pleasing god, and worshipping. One is not separate from god, if there is such a thing as god. One is not separate from anyone or anything, in a non-dual state. Or else it is not non-dual. Soo as long as there is worship and concepts such as, Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, there can not be non-duality. Non-duality incorporate all, and dismiss it at the same time.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18-08-2021, 12:37 PM
mary isaak mary isaak is offline
Knower
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 107
  mary isaak's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishi27
No, there can not be, separation in a non-dual state, Islam is all about pleasing god, and worshipping. One is not separate from god, if there is such a thing as god. One is not separate from anyone or anything, in a non-dual state. Or else it is not non-dual. Soo as long as there is worship and concepts such as, Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, there can not be non-duality. Non-duality incorporate all, and dismiss it at the same time.

I see, that is an interesting view, thanks Rishi27
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18-08-2021, 03:05 PM
Still_Waters Still_Waters is offline
Master
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 3,061
  Still_Waters's Avatar
QUOTE 4 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat

Ibn Arabi's doctrine of wahdat ul wujud focuses on the esoteric reality of creatures instead of exoteric dimension of reality. Therefore he interprets that wujud is one and unique reality from which all reality derives.


However, in his Fustus, Ibn Arabi had to be very careful in what he wrote considering the fate of the Sufi Hallaj, who proclaimed "I AM the Truth" and was executed. (Hallaj is often called the Sufi Jesus for obvious reasons with a similar fate.)

Ibn Arabi pointed carefully to non-duality by quoting the Koran and interpreting it in his own unique style lest he suffer the fate of Hallaj.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18-08-2021, 03:07 PM
Still_Waters Still_Waters is offline
Master
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 3,061
  Still_Waters's Avatar
QUOTE 6 EXCERPT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishi27
Islam is all about pleasing god, and worshipping.
What is taught to the devotional masses, however, can be used eventually as a stepping stone to that which lies beyond it all.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 18-08-2021, 11:06 PM
mary isaak mary isaak is offline
Knower
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 107
  mary isaak's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
... considering the fate of the Sufi Hallaj, who proclaimed "I AM the Truth" and was executed. (Hallaj is often called the Sufi Jesus for obvious reasons with a similar fate.)
I see, thank you for explaining why Hallaj was executed. I read some of his writings and I could not understand why they accused him of blasphemy. His writings seemed to be very aligned with Koran.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
However, in his Fustus, Ibn Arabi ...
Ibn Arabi pointed carefully to non-duality by quoting the Koran and interpreting it in his own unique style lest he suffer the fate of Hallaj.
Thank you for explaining what Ibn Arabi Fusus is about. I tried to read it but I could not understand anything. I think this book is for the people who are well advanced in the path of Truth.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums