Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 14-05-2021, 11:34 PM
As far as the topic...What ARE your reasons for meditating?

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 15-05-2021, 01:53 AM
Master
@ Miss H ...

reasons are needed
when ego is heeded
but if we choose
without excuse
to flow like the breeze
in embrace and release
here and now free
in each entrée
essence of presence
in dance of innocence
ceases grasping
shifting to connecting
as the noumenon
birthing phenomena

Old 15-05-2021, 03:23 AM
Master
For me it is simple, breath... allow thoughts to come and go and not get hung up on a thought. This translates In everyday life by, watching more and talking less or reacting less.
Old 15-05-2021, 02:40 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
As far as the topic...What ARE your reasons for meditating?
Not sure if you're addressing Gem specifically here, but since you asked - I've personally come to approach meditation in relation to that famous Rumi quote about how our task isn't to find love outside ourselves, but rather to seek and find the barriers within ourselves that we've built against it, and embrace them - that's essentially what my meditation practice is about, it's about bringing my attention into my present experience and noticing what's going on within me without attempting to manipulate or change my experience in any way.

Having practised meditation for a few years now, I've come to regard it as being primarily an act of self-compassion and self-acceptance, and by sitting with myself in this way, those barriers that Rumi talked about can slowly start to break down and the peace and love that is my essential spiritual nature can gradually emerge. That doesn't mean to say that it'll necessarily always be a particularly comfortable or pleasant experience, and it does require patience, discipline, and faith in the process; people in spiritual circles sometimes seek quick fixes and instant bliss, but I think that's a misguided and immature approach to spirituality and I don't think it ultimately leads to spiritual liberation, which is what I'm primarily interested in.
Old 16-05-2021, 02:39 AM
Master
I'm only into breath/body/mind awareness and follow the principle described in Buddhism as: purification, truth and liberation, and helps me go through life's ups and downs more calmly.
Old 16-05-2021, 08:16 PM
May I be so bold as to ask: If one is into the breath and that is the end all and be all,
(maybe some body awareness or even a mantra the mind repeats)...
what do you do when the breath leaves your body?

I'm not one that is into riddles.
I mean, you have no more body, no more breath...what remains is
what I'm into concentrating upon.
That which was before the breath - and before the body! And will be there when both are gone.
Make sense?

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 16-05-2021, 08:27 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
May I be so bold as to ask: If one is into the breath and that is the end all and be all,

I'm not one that is into riddles.
I mean, you have no more body, no more breath...what remains is
what I'm into concentrating upon.
That which was before the breath - and before the body! And will be there when both are gone.
Make sense?

From a purist perspective the reason behind any meditation technique is realization/transcendence. One can even say that's advancing beyond technique to where it's a continuous and effortless state of being.

To paraphrase Bruce Lee: "A canoe is useful for crossing a river but once across do not carry it on your back.".
Old 16-05-2021, 08:36 PM
Administrator
The way i focus on it is the breathing as Gem describes but my reason for doing it the begining was to connect to my Guide.

As i don't need to do that i do it to Enter my own inner Sanctuary where i find Peace and Balance in my life

Namaste
Old 17-05-2021, 12:21 AM
Master
Quote:
Breath awareness is a good place to start, but since it can be greatly refined, it's good for advanced practice as well. Because the meditation of feeling breath is a sensation meditation, it opens up to complete body awareness. The issue there is, mind is still tempted by pleasure and reacts adversely to discomfort (the meditation reveals tendencies of mind), so I'd stick to breath only for a good while until there's enough equanimity to feel both pleasure and pain with equal neutrality on the basis of them being equally impermanent.
Old 17-05-2021, 05:15 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Breath awareness is a good place to start, but since it can be greatly refined, it's good for advanced practice as well. Because the meditation of feeling breath is a sensation meditation, it opens up to complete body awareness.
This is a good and important point, I think - people sometimes approach meditation as a predominantly mental practice, but I personally prefer an approach that encompasses all aspects of our experience, including the various feelings and sensations felt in the body, as this helps to root our attention in our present experience. And the breath is of course intimately related to the body (it's the body that breathes, after all), so being conscious of the breath inevitably puts us in touch with the body too, as you say.