Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 24-07-2021, 01:58 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Sounds like a valid answer.

There is at least one religion which claims the name had not been known till that occurance in Exodus. I had found on my own that the name was used a lot prior to that. The scripture that stood out in that regards is the last verse of chapter 4 in Genesis where it reads: "At that time people began to call on the name of the Lord."

Hmmm. Hebrew scholars say it wasn't just calling on, but profaning the name. The Jerusalem Targum: "That was the generation in whose days they began to err, and to make themselves idols, and surnamed their idols by the name of the Word of the Lord."

They started using the name inappropriately.
Old 24-07-2021, 02:13 AM
Knower
Quote:
How should I have posed that question?

I wouldn't presume to tell you that. You just appear to be going down an avenue of inquiry which is, in my opinion, a waste of time. Just my advice, which, I suppose, you should naturally take with a grain of salt, as they say.

So, carry on and if I can be of any help I can only offer my opinion. I've already asked a few questions you might give some thought to and that's all I can do.
Old 24-07-2021, 02:43 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHenson
Hmmm. Hebrew scholars say it wasn't just calling on, but profaning the name. The Jerusalem Targum: "That was the generation in whose days they began to err, and to make themselves idols, and surnamed their idols by the name of the Word of the Lord."

They started using the name inappropriately.

If you read the text of Exodus 6, it does not imply any thing like that was happening. Besides, why would God free an enslaved people who were making idols, and "surnamed their idols by the name of the Word of the Lord"?

From what I read, it was basically the opposite.

As for the Jerusalem Targum, not everybody holds that text as being 'gospel'.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 24-07-2021, 03:36 AM
Knower
Quote:
If you read the text of Exodus 6, it does not imply any thing like that was happening.

True, but there was a considerable amount of time between what was happening at Genesis 4:26 and Exodus 6:3.

Quote:
As for the Jerusalem Targum, not everybody holds that text as being 'gospel'.

I sure don't, but it's of a cultural rather than Biblical relevance. Just something to think about and it does make sense to me. The Palistinian Targum concurs, by the way.
Old 24-07-2021, 04:00 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
a name in many ways tells who you are or how you will behave. Withholding a name simply means you aren't going to give information on what is coming from you next...

Absolutely. And this is an extremely important point for two reasons. First, the name was even more important then than it is now and second, the name Jehovah means "He causes to become." Sort of the same pronouncement in that name as his statement at Exodus 3:14.

Simply put, he was what he would prove to be to a greater extend than before. To them. (Exodus 6:3)

Last edited by DavidHenson : 24-07-2021 at 11:00 AM.
Old 24-07-2021, 02:40 PM
Master
If you look at the various commentaries of Exodus 6:3 mentioned at https://biblehub.com/commentaries/exodus/6-3.htm, none of the commentators are in agreement with one another nor agree with your conclusion.

In the past, I have looked at the Masoretic Text suspecting more was revealed in that name at that time, only to find out that the name was not pronounced exactly like Yahweh as it was used in Exodus 6:3 which is יְהוָ֔ה but was pronounced with numerous variations and none of them apparently were pronounced as Yahweh. The different ways in which the name was pronounced has been, for the most part, been lost. Compare this with Genesis 2:4 where the name is written as יְהוָ֥ה and is pronouced differently then the version mentioned at Exodus 6:3.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 24-07-2021, 03:03 PM
Master
QUOTE 6 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky
The consensus among scholars is that the story in the Book of Exodus is best understood as a myth, and does not accurately describe historical events.

That is my understanding as well though even a myth can be used for teaching purposes.

I just listened to a good YouTube video assessing whether Moses was a real person or not and conceding that there is some support for the position that there may have been a historical Exodus ..... BUT that such an Exodus would have been on a much much smaller scale than the reported 603,000 Jewish males who left Egypt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptYz-Vu0dxY
Old 24-07-2021, 04:03 PM
Master
.................... "the reported 603,000 Jewish males who left Egypt" did not include wives, girlfriends and children which, when they are included, was a huge number.

Old 24-07-2021, 04:10 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
QUOTE 6 EXCERPT:

That is my understanding as well though even a myth can be used for teaching purposes.

]

The way things work…….when discovered that something is not historically true a significant number will discredit in entirety.
Old 24-07-2021, 05:40 PM
Master
Maybe....... a person might just want to explain to a person why such scriptures are in the Bible. For example, why is Genesis, Exodus, etc. in the Bible.

And when they have objections, they might want to explain the 'objections' instead of turning away from the person.