Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 29-01-2017, 08:13 PM
Experiencer
Chanting

I usually talk about this in satsang but would like to share here also. I read many articles on chanting Gods name and started doing this several months ago.
My mind is much calmer .
Sometimes I chant continuosly for hours and sitting down.
When I chant loudly lord Dattas name this cold sensation in my throat happens and if I keep eyes closed I see blue light.
Sincerly praying that other people try chanting for their own spiritual benefit
Old 01-02-2017, 04:49 PM
Knower

I used to chant for many years as well; it is indeed beneficial but has its limitations. Sometime back, I've been told by my Satguru that chanting is just like the beginning.

He gave me a very simple analogy - If you continuously repeat a person's name, you don't really get any sort of benefit apart from reminding yourself that the person exists. However, when you constantly think about the person's qualities that you like, you become intensely attracted to him/her.

It's the same case with God. If you constantly chant His name, you're doing nothing but reminding yourself that He exists. However, when you contemplate incessantly upon His divine qualities, you develop an immense attraction towards Him. This in turn will lead you to practically serve Him. Knowing the associated qualities of God is Jnana, contemplating upon these divine qualities and developing attraction to Him is Bhakti and when this happens, you serve Him practically and this is Karma Yoga.

That's why my suggestion would be that you meditate upon Datta's divine qualities rather than just chanting His name. God is associated with 4 divine qualities - Infinite compassion, boundless bliss, unimaginable power and illusion-destroying knowledge.

Last edited by Clover : 01-02-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:08 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattaseva
I used to chant for many years as well; it is indeed beneficial but has its limitations. Sometime back, I've been told by my Satguru that chanting is just like the beginning.
Chanting IS meditation.

The effects of chanting go far. It changes the physical body and it radiates into the farthest reaches of the cosmos. To think that pure meditation as a mental exercise is superior is a mistake.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:54 PM
Knower
My lineage always emphasised the importance of chanting. I love to chant. I do not chant as much today in the form of chanting sessions. But I have chants going on at home while cooking or sitting with computer, to be chanted along to....
It is important to nurture the devotion to the source with chants for aspirants on the path. It opens the heart. Invokes Grace.
Chanting increases Ojas, and is good for yoga development and health too.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:29 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
That's why my suggestion would be that you meditate upon Datta's divine qualities rather than just chanting His name. God is associated with 4 divine qualities - Infinite compassion, boundless bliss, unimaginable power and illusion-destroying knowledge.
It came to my mind that I am serving him and he gets it done for me by filling my body with bliss I become aware of his presence.
Also contemplated on his power. It happens rarely to me but when possible it can be in a way atributed to self
Old 07-03-2017, 05:16 AM
Guide

Quote:

He gave me a very simple analogy - If you continuously repeat a person's name, you don't really get any sort of benefit apart from reminding yourself that the person exists. However, when you constantly think about the person's qualities that you like, you become intensely attracted to him/her.

It's the same case with God. If you constantly chant His name, you're doing nothing but reminding yourself that He exists. However, when you contemplate incessantly upon His divine qualities, you develop an immense attraction towards Him. This in turn will lead you to practically serve Him. Knowing the associated qualities of God is Jnana, contemplating upon these divine qualities and developing attraction to Him is Bhakti and when this happens, you serve Him practically and this is Karma Yoga.
I disagree to some extent with this description because it is a rather one-dimensional view of chanting.
One cannot chant, any name, without getting other processes involved. Chanting the name will over time automatically bring the mind to consider other qualities, just like chanting (aloud) will have an impact on the body and the environment by means of the sound vibrations.

A good practice will always result in the desired change over time. Isn't that the very purpose of a practice?
If you have to change first in order to practice then the practice is useless.
If you can change without practice why would one need a practice?

In other words, a good practice always says "Come as you are". Faithfully do the practice and this is what usually happens, <list of milestones>
If nothing happens then the practice may not be right for you. Feel free to try something else.
Old 21-03-2021, 05:01 PM
Experiencer
If today I chant, will be told that any song is a chant.
Old 27-03-2021, 04:00 PM
Suspended

Chanting mantras like Om namah shivaya
Old 07-07-2021, 12:49 AM
madalina_diana

Following my akash mantra chanting
Om Shri Akash Devaya Namaha
Indra Gayatri Mantra
om devarajaya vidmahe,
vajra hastaaya dhimahi
tanno sakrah prachodayat