Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 17-09-2020, 12:25 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient

I just really enjoyed the meals and the chanting on Sunday nights – beautiful.
Shivani once posted this beautiful piece, which reminded me of the rather deep (going within) in the collective atmosphere created:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw1GlarlU_A

I loved the Shiva chant in the video. Thanks for sharing.
Old 17-09-2020, 03:14 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Thanks Phaelyn but I don't use Youtube for Teachings, I prefer to read.

Obviously both reading and video can have the exact same content, the same thoughts and words of others, though youtube is free and books typically cost money unless one has put them online for free. Many books are available in audio forms where they are read. My friend likes listening to books on audio while driving to work. Some audio books are on youtube as well. Most times one can listen to youtubes without watching what is on the screen as it just a head talking.

I'd say it depends on the content as I don't prefer one to the other. If I want to go more slowly, books are the best choice. I'd guess this is mostly about my familiarity with the subject or content as well. With books, we have total control over the speed with which we digest the content. But then writing with illustrations definitely are better in book form. I find if I am very familiar with the content or subject matter, I prefer video and I also will often set the speed of the video faster at 1.5 or 2.0 speed as it goes too slow for me at normal speed. I can digest the content faster than it is spoken. I suppose I could speed read as well. But I will specifically go for the book format in topics I need to ingest slower at a pace I choose.
Old 17-09-2020, 03:45 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Hence the Buddha defined the medtiation as ardent awareness with understanding of impermanance free of aversion and desire in the world. It's simple as a principle (maybe too simple), but it's really subtle and is the most arduous thing anyone can do. Form that perspective, the variations of the sects are like bells and whistles which seem fun and all, but completely unnecessary.

No harm with drumming and creating a terrible din or doing all the farrout stuff the various sects get up to, but since that's sectarian and individually preferenced, I can't see how it's important.

It's important because what helps and appeals to each person is important.

What you call no bells and whistles is a form of form itself

If someone can't or won't chant, drum and bow, what does that say about their aversion, for example? Giving in at times is going along in my opinion.

JL
Old 17-09-2020, 03:48 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
free of aversion and desire

It's such a wonderful thing as well. When we observe ourselves, we see we typically are dealing with one of those most of the time, when we interact with this world and the beings in it, and when we are focused with our own thoughts. Thought typically is throwing up one of those concepts as applied to whatever we are encountering moment to moment.

Even equanimity can be desired and thus it is no longer equanimity at all and is instead, tainted by thought, by person, by ego. True equanimity has no person attached to it. No thought form. It's this or me as I am, without a thought coloring it, tinting it, being involved in it.

It's funny because if we speak of it, talk about it, write about it, it being equanimity or a state of being free of aversion and desire, we are not living or being it at all. Tolle said he becomes a different thing when writing or speaking, and when he is done, he transforms back into what he is. Totally lets go of all that conceptual content the moment his talk is done.

I'm a bit hesitant to equate this idea of a "middle way" to this as "a way" conceptualizes a being as form in a specific place, conceptually anyway, in the middle of two things. When really, those two things no longer are present in anyway nor is a middle. More specifically, a person or ego to be involved in this or it.

But then that "middle way" also is related to the idea of becoming. Where we can do or not do....to become when both are the same in the sense of the one doing both. One is involved if they are thinking, or not thinking. Being mindful or not being mindful. Involved conceptually if one is writing about such things. Using memory etc, ideas.

Not relating factually what is present now in this moment. If one is in equanimity or a liberated state, what is here in some verbal form? Nothing really. That is added content, and one in equanimity is not adding mental content, not involved with mental content, not giving energy or form to mental content. The "middle way" is always a reference to the past, to the known, so always some ego is being carried along. Trying to bring along a piece of the known, into the unknown.

It's all here, and quite familiar, well known and loved even, but it is known on that level, by what it is, as opposed to how my thoughts and mind may color it. I experience it as everyone else does as well, before our thoughts change it and give it a personal viewpoint.
Old 17-09-2020, 04:09 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
It's important because what helps and appeals to each person is important.

What you call no bells and whistles is a form of form itself

If someone can't or won't chant, drum and bow, what does that say about their aversion, for example? Giving in at times is going along in my opinion.

JL

That reminds me of when I have to cross a wide street and there are a lot of cars there, so I have to walk in front of like 8 bored persons at the red light and I will be their only entertainment for a few minutes. Sometimes I get self conscious about that. Don't like the experience. Especially if I am alone.

Similar to how entertainers will say they are always nervous when on stage before an audience, even performers who have performed in front of audiences thousands of times. There is some deep animal programming about being stared at by many others.

Take any dog and stare at it..... that dog becomes very agitated and upset, some will even become aggressive, my old dog would whine and whimper if stared at as she was very submissive and docile. Other dogs will attack you if you stare at them.

Getting up before others and drumming or dancing, we can be self conscious. Aware others are looking at us and judging us in some way. Fact is, most people are identified with their bodies as themselves, and look at others as the body, this temporary form. But yea, a "buddha" would never be self conscious, but I assume as even a Buddha has an animal nature, the normal self consciousness may arise in them, they just don't give it any attention or energy. So the naturally arising self conscious feelings don't rise to the level of having an effect. That's a very high level of liberation that very few can ever get to, in a 100% sustained way anyway. Since most performers say the nervous feelings never seem to ever go away, they just learn to ignore them, which is a kind of spiritual exercise.
Old 17-09-2020, 04:46 PM
Newbie ;)

Chakras

Thanks for sharing great information on chakras
Old 17-09-2020, 04:48 PM
Newbie ;)

Chakras

great post
Old 17-09-2020, 05:53 PM
ImthatIm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Stay as you are but away from smoke
"Stay as you are"
I tried but I keep changing.

As for the smoke, for now there is only varying degrees
of it.
I take heart in experiencing the various perspectives of
life as it is. Like seeing the sun through the thick haze(unique but beautiful)
and finding new indoor activities.
Old 17-09-2020, 06:16 PM
Master
Some thoughts on music and dancing ...

To desire a union/oneness with “God”/Divinity/Nature … unity of Absolute & Relative etc. etc. etc. is to direct energy towards that intent – to co-create a path leading to ( ….. )

To know how to use intent/will and how to then surrender it to “God”.
How to make sustained effort, yet “Letting it Go and Letting God” take care of the music to dance to …

Even though I spent a couple of years in Sydney and Melbourne along with this kind of Brazilian “God-awful racket” street band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDdIk7_FkVE

Must say Cumbia - “to dance with desire” is my favourite joy (and it is pure joy! if you don’t put any sleeze into it - you desire to dance to the music, not to a sleeze) and you really learn to dance effortlessly, using no energy of your own, and I guess it is because there is no resistance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hA2wyheJw0

The formless dancer, dancing to the drum without a drummer ……. is the spiritual expression of the "effortless dance of the Universe" … the path teaches one to dance to ....

Old 17-09-2020, 08:12 PM
Master

The Tantric approach to desire Lama Yeshe’s book:
http://promienie.net/images/dharma/b...-to-tantra.pdf