Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 29-04-2020, 10:35 PM
Newbie ;)

New developments

Hello everyone. I would like to know about other people's experiences with meditation. I have been meditating for several years now. And for a few years now, I have had some changes happening which I did not really wonder too much about until recently.

The first one I have had is my eyes rolling up while I am meditating. It happens soon like within a few to ten minutes. It isn't uncomfortable at all and sometimes gives good sensations. I am wondering more about what it is.

The next thing I notice is my tongue goes up and my mouth opens, almost hangs open. It probably looks really weird but it feels really nice. I am doing this like for a year now. Just starting to notice things more.

I have not read a lot about the effects of meditation but started to do it in order to help myself with stress and depression. Can someone recommend me a book about silent meditation? Guided meditations send me straight to sleep. Thanks everybody.
Old 30-04-2020, 05:00 AM
Master

Hi Wantingpeace

It is not uncommon for the body to spontaneously go into certain poses or mudras during meditation. Mudra means a seal or a gesture, and different mudras affect the energy flow in different ways.

The eyes rolling upwards is one such mudra, called shambhavi mudra. The eyes roll up and gaze at the ajna chakra.

The tongue going upwards sounds a bit like the start of khechari mudra, where the tongue is curled backwards to press against the soft palate of the roof of the mouth.

Both of these are very beneficial practices, and there is plenty of information available about them online.

Regarding a book about silent meditation, there are so many out there that it is hard to know what to recommend. Can you narrow down your preferences?

When you say "silent meditation" do you include meditation with seed? In other words, there is an object of meditation, whether it be the breath or a mantra. If you are happy to use a mantra then Soham is always a good one (it is actually pronounced Sohum).

Or do you prefer meditation without seed? In other words, simply sitting and being, with no object of focus except to be.

As I said, plenty of information out there.

Peace
Old 30-04-2020, 09:41 AM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
Hi Wantingpeace

It is not uncommon for the body to spontaneously go into certain poses or mudras during meditation. Mudra means a seal or a gesture, and different mudras affect the energy flow in different ways.

The eyes rolling upwards is one such mudra, called shambhavi mudra. The eyes roll up and gaze at the ajna chakra.

The tongue going upwards sounds a bit like the start of khechari mudra, where the tongue is curled backwards to press against the soft palate of the roof of the mouth.

Both of these are very beneficial practices, and there is plenty of information available about them online.

Regarding a book about silent meditation, there are so many out there that it is hard to know what to recommend. Can you narrow down your preferences?

When you say "silent meditation" do you include meditation with seed? In other words, there is an object of meditation, whether it be the breath or a mantra. If you are happy to use a mantra then Soham is always a good one (it is actually pronounced Sohum).

Or do you prefer meditation without seed? In other words, simply sitting and being, with no object of focus except to be.

As I said, plenty of information out there.

Peace
Thank you Iamthat, for giving me some info. I do meditation focusing on breath, or sometimes focusing on different feelings in my body. It's a bit like a body scan but more relaxed. And sometimes just sitting and not focusing on anything.

I started to do more research last night trying to learn more about things happening during meditation.

I think the mudra happening feels very relaxing but I heard someone mention something negative recently about the eyes rolling upwards, so I got a little concerned. It happens spontaneously though and is not uncomfortable. It feels relaxing. I'll check out more info online then, I'm curious about learning about Soham.
Old 30-04-2020, 11:27 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantingpeace
Thank you Iamthat, for giving me some info. I do meditation focusing on breath, or sometimes focusing on different feelings in my body. It's a bit like a body scan but more relaxed. And sometimes just sitting and not focusing on anything.

I started to do more research last night trying to learn more about things happening during meditation.

I think the mudra happening feels very relaxing but I heard someone mention something negative recently about the eyes rolling upwards, so I got a little concerned. It happens spontaneously though and is not uncomfortable. It feels relaxing. I'll check out more info online then, I'm curious about learning about Soham.

Here's my understanding of the practice and regardless of technique. While it's important to execute technique properly while sitting, the experience while sitting is not the goal. The goal is the carryover of that state of mind outside of the practice.

There's the practice itself and there's the result of practice. Think about lifting weights. We lift weights to develop muscles for the benefit of the body outside of lifting.
Old 30-04-2020, 12:50 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
Here's my understanding of the practice and regardless of technique. While it's important to execute technique properly while sitting, the experience while sitting is not the goal. The goal is the carryover of that state of mind outside of the practice.

There's the practice itself and there's the result of practice. Think about lifting weights. We lift weights to develop muscles for the benefit of the body outside of lifting.

I was taught/read that the importance of sitting properly is to avoid falling asleep, which as the OP has said and I can attest, can be a problem for some. ...and I suppose an advantage for others?

Curious what others think of the mindfulness practices of moving meditation, doing dishes or other chores, or even while lifting weights. If involves being so totally focused on the task without thinking about it that one just slips into a flow where things are being done but it does not seem like one is doing them. To hear them describe it, this is one of the aspects of the sport that free climbers like. The danger forces them into this deep state of concentration where the self gets pushed out of their awareness.

As far as lifting weights go, I can't speak from experience as I keep my six pack well insulated, but I thought the whole point was to impress the chicks at the gym .... I meant health club. I suppose one could also impress them at the beach in the summer. I heard that in Cali they put the gym right on the beach, very efficient.
Old 30-04-2020, 01:07 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketzer
I was taught/read that the importance of sitting properly is to avoid falling asleep, which as the OP has said and I can attest, can be a problem for some. ...and I suppose an advantage for others?

Curious what others think of the mindfulness practices of moving meditation, doing dishes or other chores, or even while lifting weights. If involves being so totally focused on the task without thinking about it that one just slips into a flow where things are being done but it does not seem like one is doing them. To hear them describe it, this is one of the aspects of the sport that free climbers like. The danger forces them into this deep state of concentration where the self gets pushed out of their awareness.

As far as lifting weights go, I can't speak from experience as I keep my six pack well insulated, but I thought the whole point was to impress the chicks at the gym .... I meant health club. I suppose one could also impress them at the beach in the summer. I heard that in Cali they put the gym right on the beach, very efficient.

I alluded to mindfulness outside of sitting. The longer one practices with formal sitting the easier it is to be mindful outside of formal sitting. Walking, eating, brushing one's teeth, whatever. Of course one can also practice mindfulness outside of formal sitting. Walking is a great way to practice mindfulness outside of sitting, with focus being on stride, feet hitting the ground, swing of the arms, air flow over exposed skin, etc...

Eventually it comes as a natural state of being and more and more often the longer one practices mindfulness.

Back when I did a lot of solo backpacking I noticed how mindful I was, though at the time I wouldn't have framed it that way. For instance being 5 or 10 miles from a trail head in remote wilderness and crossing a stream with slippery rocks and a 50+ pound backpack the very last thing one can afford is to be distracted, slip and break a leg. It brings one into "The Zone". It's being absorbed in the moment. Same with trying to hit a fastball. Best be paying full and undivided attention lest one gets beaned by an errant (or not!) high & tight mustard seed. LOL!
Old 30-04-2020, 04:50 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy

Yes I agree what the purpose is of meditation. My question was about experiences which happen while meditating.
Old 30-04-2020, 05:42 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantingpeace
Yes I agree what the purpose is of meditation. My question was about experiences which happen while meditating.

From my perspective and experience the experiences themselves while meditating just aren't that important except as a support to further the core of the practice itself. They are to be handled just like any other distraction while meditating. That is, notice them, let them go and return to the core of the practice.
Old 30-04-2020, 09:09 PM
Administrator
Hello

This is what is being asked here.

Hello everyone. I would like to know about other people's experiences with meditation.

Lynn
SF Admin
Old 02-05-2020, 10:50 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn
Hello

This is what is being asked here.

Hello everyone. I would like to know about other people's experiences with meditation.

Lynn
SF Admin

Yeah Lynn. Thanks for the prompt.

Experiences during or owing to meditation ... let’s begin a 100 page thread! Who’ll go first? Miss Hepburn, iamthat, Shivani Devi, Legrand, No One, running, jonesboy, Gem, JustAsimpleGuy, JustBe ... all of SF !! (minus the die hard mentalists)