Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > General

Old 16-12-2018, 09:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7luminaries
My point is, if you know you are part whatever by ancestry and/or culture and upbringing, who cares if the test says this or that or the other thing?

And beyond that, you are from these things, but none of it defines who you are at core. These things are simply a part of your story and your journey, and they can be a very meaningful part, but in the end you decide who you are. Amen.

7L - I have to say I agree with what you say here. I've seen people being very proud of their heritage their whole lives, until they took a DNA test that revealed they might not be as ________(fill in the blank) as they previously believed. The DNA results sometimes mess with ones head and can even trickle down to children when parents start questioning their heritage after raising their kids with a certain set of heritage beliefs.

I won't be having a DNA test done for that purpose ever. I'm completely satisfied with just being a human being. I do understand people's motives for ordering these tests; they're just not for me. I feel like if I start identifying with a particular set of people in a specific region of the world, I'm placing labels on myself.
Old 16-12-2018, 10:02 PM
Deactivated Account

I had one done from 23andme for my health profile but it didn't turn out as useful as I thought it'd be. It's a little expensive for what you get if you ask me.
Old 17-12-2018, 11:50 PM
Master
Beyond personal dna results, there is so much history to learn.

My grandfathers: One is Scandinavian - Swedish Y-line, the other one is North Eurasian.

Both grandmother’s mtDNA haplogroups were allegedly present in Doggerland, but now the other one is mainly found among Vepsians (Lake Onega), the other among Skolt Saami - areas where the last European hunter-gatherers retreated.

I identify myself very much with my Eastern (Siberian admix) cultural heritage, the 'Westie' side leaving me ‘blank’ i.e. my awareness cannot 'echo' it - except when I lived in Gotland.
There I got a 'taste' of it - which I could relate to i.e. there I understood (within myself) something about the 'echoes' of our particular Viking - meet - hunter/gatherer past, if that makes sense.

http://thedockyards.com/genetic-maps-of-europe/

Last edited by sentient : 18-12-2018 at 03:10 AM.
Old 31-12-2018, 07:40 PM
Master
Well, I did Ancestry.com and my biological sister did 23 and Me.

I was disappointed and pleasantly surprised at once.

Ancestry correctly pointed out the ancestors on my grandfather's side to the French immigrants to Canada, who most likely mixed with the natives. Honestly it was the only logical way I can explain the markers in my eyes that are generally found in Native people--as the rest of my ancestry was European.

My sister found out through 23 and Me that our mother has lineage stemming from the Vikings. Pretty cool tbh. :)

Thing I was disappointed about however, is that I saw no african dna in the mix whatsoever. I know I have had past lifetimes in Africa as I have seen one in my dreams.

Then I realized the dna only goes back so far--most likely the African lifetimes were some of my first on Earth. Whatever little physical African dna I have is pretty much nonexistant now lol.
Old 25-01-2019, 07:05 PM
Master

Well I had the 23 and Me dna test done about a year ago. I oped to know of risk factors to diseases. And I have not been disappointed. 23 and Me sends me questionnaires all the time that I have mostly completed. In turn they send me new tidbits of information as they discover it. It's all interesting.

Now I am doing the Ancestry dna test because I am having the professionals at Ancestry do my family tree. I found out after I purchased the Ancestry dna test that they can just access the 23 and Me dna results, but I'm glad I went ahead and did the Ancestry dna test because I will be able to connect with all of the Ancestry relatives as well (the two companies don't share customer data). And the tests are relatively cheap anymore if you wait until they have them on sale.

What I have discovered it both companies are doing ongoing research with the results they receive by sending questionnaires as to our habits, emotional traits, eating patterns, etc. I even took a hearing test from 23 and Me the other day (I found out I had a hearing problem which I already knew due to tinnitus).

I think we need to give them time. This is a brand new science. As they collect more and more information more information will be available.

Send in those questionnaires they send you or go to their website and opt in to do the questionnaires. They will bend over backwards to give you information as they develop it as a thank you.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:43 PM
Guide
I got my dna test from 23 & Me and I recommend them, though they may be more expensive you get better information and they offer the data to universities so you fill out questionnaires that help phd students and researchers determine what genes indicate what illnesses.

I did not get my mom to take the test before she died, but my dad did and my daughter. We knew there was mostly british ilses in our ancestry and that showed up but my dad thought one grandfather and one grandmother were german but that did not show up, instead it was scandanavian with some west african.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:06 PM
Knower
I used 23andMe about 4 years ago. Results are still updating and refining. I found out some things I didn't know, and other things I knew or suspected were confirmed. I even got a couple of surprises. One is a grandson of my father with a woman he had an affair with before he met my mother. They had a daughter who had children. I found that in addition to my family he has 4 more grandchildren and 8 or 9 more great-grandchildren. My mother knew about the daughter, my half-sister, but it's a good thing my mother never knew about the grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She would have hated my father all the more. Yes, we laugh about it in my family.

There is another man who comes up in my DNA Relatives list as a first cousin or half-nephew, sharing 12% DNA with me. I've communicated with him, but neither of us has any idea how we are related. I suspect it's through one of my father's brothers. Those 3 boys couldn't keep it zipped worth squat. Yes we laugh about that too. We're a jolly bunch.
Old 28-05-2019, 02:38 AM
Knower
Genetics and heritage are a tad too complicated for any test we develop to reveal all those juicy details we're digging for, so any disappointing results from those DNA testing companies should be regarded with due skepticism. And I would rather not trust those companies with such personal information as my genetic code. If I want a DNA test, I'll try to perform my own, but I trust the oral history of my family. More or less. I have good evidence that I'm of mostly Siberian, Turkic, Nordic, and Celtic descent, with a smattering of Osage. My husband and I both have quite a few weird atavisms.

"The universe is random. Not inevitable. It's simple chaos." -- Walter White

"Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" -- Albus Dumbledore
Old 30-05-2019, 11:01 AM
Master
I've heard mostly disappointing stories about this. It's expensive and you tend to get generic results that trace you back to a few centuries, and most of the times you could already have guessed where that is, more or less.. so what do you learn..? Not an awful lot and not much about your family..

I think the cultural aspect is more interesting. Knowing who your family were centuries ago.. what jobs they had, what they did in life, what their beliefs were. Sadly, many family names also started only a few hundred years ago..
Old 15-04-2020, 05:29 AM
MAYA EL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 1
One of the big things they look at is haplogroups which determines where groups of people who share similar DNA originated from. ..

My sur name Is German but when you look at the haplogroups making up my total genetic heritage. ...there's a big chunk of central European that I expected but also a fair amount of ancestry that goes to Ireland. ...something I didn't expect....

23 And Me also looks at the deep ancestry..as much as 30, 000 years back of both your parents.....my moms deep ancestry was Scandinavian and central European as expected. ..

What wasn't expected was my dad having deep ancestry tied to Morocco as well as the central European genetics we did expect.

Another thing they'll tell you is physical and health stuff....diseases you might have a tendency to having. .
They even told me that my genetics shows that I have a muscle type lending itself to strength and bursts of speed like sprinting rather than a muscle type inclined to long slow endurance running. .....and this is absolutely true.

Frankly. .....there's so much information its not possible to post it all here

People have a mixture of different types of skeletal muscle fibers
Type-A
Type-B
Type-AB (like a mixture of the 2)

You have different amounts depending on the location of the body but overall some bodies in general have a higher number of one or the other.
A person that's naturally thin usually narrow framed is very good at long-distance activities like running or cycling it has a very hard time being strong or putting on muscle mass this is because the majority of muscle fibers in their body are type A which is the smallest of the fibers but has the most blood capillaries around it so it's the most efficient at re oxygenating and creating ATP whereas they generally heavy set style person having wide shoulders wide hips or as they say the "farm boy look" generally has very poor cardiovascular endurance but despite the fact that some of these people have never worked out a day in their life these individuals are still strong as an ox this is because they mainly have type B muscle fibers which are the largest fiber but unfortunately have the least amount of blood capillaries take longer to recharge but are very powerful.

Now depending on your exercise techniques you can actually change your physiology to have more of one type or the other now this takes a long time to do of course but it is possible however I think what 23andMe does from what I can remember is they go off of a study that was done a few years ago why are thousands of people were tested to see what types of muscle 5 today had naturally as well as athletes of the same ethnicity to see if muscle type was consistent across the board from non-active to active individuals and this was down on several different continents if I remember correctly and concluded very consistent pattern between ethnic races and muscle fiber type so even though they're not actually testing your muscle fibers and I technically guessing based off of study it's still very accurate in my opinion.