Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Lounge

Old 23-04-2024, 09:54 AM
Master

Indian teenager becomes youngest challenger for world chess title

Teenage Indian chess prodigy Gukesh Dommaraju, better known as Gukesh D, became the youngest player at 17 to claim the men’s Candidates Tournament in Toronto, Canada on Sunday and in the process will be playing for the world title with the reigning world champion Ding Liren of China at the 2024 World Chess Championship later this year.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/04/23/a...spt/index.html

“The Indian earthquake in Toronto is the culmination of the shifting tectonic plates in the chess world,” former world champion Kasparov wrote on social media platform X, praising Gukesh for breaking his record of the youngest winner of the Candidates Chess tournament.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Old 23-04-2024, 04:42 PM
Guide

Are competitive games and sports such as chess spiritual? Is trying to beat an opponent spiritual?

What is the point of sports when all are One?
Old 23-04-2024, 05:43 PM
Master
I asked a chatbot

History of Chess and Spiritual Growth:

Chess has a long and intricate history that dates back centuries, originating in India as the game of Chaturanga. Over time, it evolved into the modern chess we know today, with its strategic gameplay and symbolic representation of warfare. The game has been associated with various philosophical and spiritual aspects, often drawing parallels to life’s challenges and decision-making processes.

Good Aspects for Spiritual Growth:

Mental Discipline: Chess requires intense focus, critical thinking, and strategic planning. Engaging in chess can help individuals develop mental discipline, patience, and problem-solving skills, which are beneficial for spiritual growth.

Decision-Making: Chess involves making calculated moves based on foresight and analysis. This aspect can teach individuals the importance of thoughtful decision-making in life situations, fostering a sense of mindfulness and awareness.

Metaphorical Reflections: Many players and philosophers have drawn parallels between chess and life, highlighting themes such as sacrifice, balance, patience, and the consequences of actions. These reflections can offer valuable insights into personal growth and self-awareness.

Negative Aspects for Spiritual Growth:

Competitiveness: The competitive nature of chess can sometimes lead to a focus on winning at all costs, potentially overshadowing the spiritual values of compassion, empathy, and
Ego Attachment: In highly competitive environments or during intense gameplay, individuals may become overly attached to their performance or outcomes in chess, hindering their ability to detach from ego-driven desires.

Isolation: Chess is often played individually or in competitive settings where social interaction is limited. Excessive isolation from social connections can impact spiritual growth by reducing opportunities for empathy, understanding, and interpersonal growth.

In conclusion, while chess offers valuable lessons in mental acuity, strategic thinking, and metaphorical reflections on life’s complexities, its impact on spiritual growth ultimately depends on how individuals approach the game and integrate its teachings into their personal development journey.

Top 3 Authoritative Sources Used:

Chess.com
AstrologyWeekly.com
Old 23-04-2024, 06:46 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podshell
I asked a chatbot

Interesting article. Thanks.

For me the competitive element of chess and other sports and games.undermines any possible spiritual benefit.

Spirituality is surely about co-operation and sharing rather than competition. It is about creating win-win situations. If there are losers then I'm not sure if it can be truly spiritual.

To be honest I don't like losing. So winning isn't much fun either if being a winner means beating an opponent and creating a loser. Spirituality is about treating others as you would like to be treated yourself. So if you don't like being defeated it is best not to impose defeat upon another being.
Old 23-04-2024, 07:07 PM
Master
I used to love playing football, so many positives, teamwork, excersise in the open air, learning new skills, etc if you think about it certain games could have been used instead of warfare, to resolve skirmishes between towns say, the olympics may satisfy some of that on a world scale.
I now play Scrabble and do crosswords to help my memory, does fustrate me when I lose or fail to complete a grid but I use this in a positive way to prod me to improve, where would debates end up if people didn't win or lose? Going back to soccer, I wasn't a professional but we had a few who played like pros, I learnt from them and managed to get the better of them sometimes but it took skill, concentration and aforethought so really admire great players like Cantona, who also had a spiritual outlook.

I'm rubbish at chess
Old 23-04-2024, 07:39 PM
Guide

Quote:
but I use this in a positive way to prod me to improve

Yes maybe if you regard losing as an opportunity to learn then you can always be a winner. But if you have got a really big ego like me it is difficult to get into this frame of mind!
Old 23-04-2024, 07:54 PM
Master
I think it can cause a few problems if you don't have an outlet such as game play, a relative is very competitive with people over petty matters, I advised her to chanell it I to games, but never has, almost eighty now and still manages to cause lots of probems.
Old Yesterday, 03:53 AM
Guide

Quote:
I advised her to chanell it I to games

Your relative sounds like a bit of a pain. Shame she didn't take your advice.