Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 21-04-2020, 01:56 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
It is a direct teaching on the First Noble Truth per the title of the text.

Not everyone knows where or what to search for.

There has been a lot of discussions about pain and suffering. If one can move past it or clear such obstructions.

You even mentioned that you didn't know the causes of cravings. The second link went into detail on that topic.

Things you just skimmed over.

So is this a thread on Gem's Buddhist philosophy or???

If one goes into an altered state, there appears to be no pain, no suffering and no cravings.

Is there anything wrong with this pursuit?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 21-04-2020, 05:50 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Hi, Guys

It starts not with the truth 'there is suffering', but with the truth when you actually recognise, "this is suffering". It is like this in the Buddhist way not only to know things according to the teachings, but to see it of yourself.

The four truths of Buddhist philosophy are

There is suffering
Suffering has a cause
Suffering can end
There is way to end suffering

The wider philosophy is like an elaboration of these 4 points. The principle is very simple. 'Craving' is the cause of suffering, and the cessation of craving ends it. It is simple in principle but highly nuanced in practice.

You will need a few things to understand this topic. You don't need energy flow or silence and bliss or anything of a fascinating sort. Some individuals might have that, others might not. Doesn't matter. This topic is not individualised; it's universal dhamma which is applicable to all human beings. This topic requires universal qualities such as conscious awareness, observation and attention, as well as virtues such as self-awareness and honesty.

It is customary to begin with a moral commitment which they call sila. You can google that if you like. It basically comes down to be truthful and don't hurt anything. The other moral tenets fall under that criteria.

You would be expected to 'take refuge' as well. Google that if you want. It ultimately means surrender to the truth of the enlightenment of yourself.

The experts will argue the above points, but they only googled it anyway. You can do that yourself. I'm only touching on the points. If you want to discuss them in more depth, please do. I'd love to. But I'm not interested in arguing about it.

Well that's where it starts, guys. Where you walk the talk.

Thanks for listening.

It is about walking your talk.

Like today, I was feeling A spot of minor reaction in myself that needed my attention and so I thought just go for a walk and feel it. Don’t elaborate on its presence, just acknowledge in feeling and watch it pass. And so it did. Swift like fox..whoosh and away it went.

I’m liking being self aware, no matter what arises. Once you realize there is no escape from yourself into ‘things outside of you’ you begin to see how much time we as humans give away into others and what they are doing. Yet in this fast turnaround by just being fully present from within you get more time to live your life in productive ways that match your true essence.
Old 21-04-2020, 05:57 AM
Master
Quote:
It is a direct teaching on the First Noble Truth per the title of the text.

Not everyone knows where or what to search for.

There has been a lot of discussions about pain and suffering. If one can move past it or clear such obstructions.

You even mentioned that you didn't know the causes of cravings. The second link went into detail on that topic.

Things you just skimmed over.

So is this a thread on Gem's Buddhist philosophy or???

So look at yourself in this very subtle reactive way and maybe you yourself might open beyond the texts that you always have to submit.

Are you annoyed, frustrated, need to have things your way? Look at yourself in all this. Be brave and surrender this constant craving to win the war on copy and paste..hehe

As for me, I’m only missing one thing. ‘The popcorn’

Last edited by JustBe : 21-04-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Old 21-04-2020, 06:21 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBe
It is about walking your talk.

Like today, I was feeling A spot of minor reaction in myself that needed my attention and so I thought just go for a walk and feel it. Don’t elaborate on its presence, just acknowledge in feeling and watch it pass. And so it did. Swift like fox..whoosh and away it went.

I guess if you don't feed it it can't last very long. In the Buddhist discourses on observing the mind, it says a monk 'understands properly' his state of mind. It goes on to say that one 'understands properly' how the agitations come to arise and the means by which they go away, and furthermore, how they are eradicated never to arise again. This again reflects the aforementioned 4 noble truths.

Quote:
I’m liking being self aware, no matter what arises. Once you realize there is no escape from yourself into ‘things outside of you’ you begin to see how much time we as humans give away into others and what they are doing. Yet in this fast turnaround by just being fully present from within you get more time to live your life in productive ways that match your true essence.

True. A lot of energy is being wasted in the reactive processes that keep us distracted from the actuality of life's unfolding, and we can't really investigate the depths of the experience if our minds are scattered by anxieties. Hence it is important to know 'this is anxiety' and wthdraw your investment in it and merely see it as a fact. Then you will see how it passes, you will see how it arises, and you see the means by which it passes away. If you know that, you know what meditation is, and if you know what it is, you naturally know how to do it. By employing it, you will have found the means by which such agitation is eradicated never to arise again.
Old 21-04-2020, 01:10 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
If one goes into an altered state, there appears to be no pain, no suffering and no cravings.

Is there anything wrong with this pursuit?

Depends on what one means by altered state.
Old 21-04-2020, 01:25 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBe
So look at yourself in this very subtle reactive way and maybe you yourself might open beyond the texts that you always have to submit.

Are you annoyed, frustrated, need to have things your way? Look at yourself in all this. Be brave and surrender this constant craving to win the war on copy and paste..hehe

As for me, I’m only missing one thing. ‘The popcorn’

Look to yourself and be honest, why you don't want to learn.

This isn't a new age discussion but a discussion on Buddhism, if you are going to discuss it you should do so from the Buddhist point of view.

I cut and paste, because often, like in the discussion about obstructions, you don't believe me.. so I bring in Buddhist teachings. The First Noble Truth goes over all that.

Be curious, look at your own depth of realization and read what traditions have to say about it... learn..

Am I annoyed or frustrated? No. If I talk from personal experience people don't believe as the OP dismisses such realizations. So, to not talk about me and ego, I provide teachings about...... Buddhism.

Now, I could be wrong, the OP could be wrong, so research the topic. Don't have an ego and think you are the deepest person in the room, that you have already arrived and know all the answers.. Maybe there is more, maybe you haven't... Learn...
Old 21-04-2020, 02:59 PM
Master
Personally, I don't mind if people frame what they have to say in a Buddhist philosophical context or not. You are not excluded from the thread either way.

To contribute here, as I said in the OP, is to walk the talk. This doesn't mean knowing what Buddha said, but I will touch on the subject of 'right speech', since talking is what we do here. Right speech relates to the 8 fold path I earlier mentioned (you could google). Right speech falls within the category of right action along with right livelihood in that it has moral undertones. The moral basis implies that we think, say and do should be motivated by good-will rather than ill-will, and this requires honesty with yourself regarding your own intent.

To be truthfully aware of your motive requires self-awareness. You really have to know to know what is going on with yourself or you'll 'know not what you do', and if you don't know what you're doing, you won't be able to walk the talk.
Old 21-04-2020, 03:09 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Personally, I don't mind if people frame what they have to say in a Buddhist philosophical context or not. You are not excluded from the thread either way.

I would agree but the title of the thread is Back to Buddhist Philosophy. Seems to imply that it would be about Buddhist thought and practices..
Old 21-04-2020, 05:13 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem

To contribute here, as I said in the OP, is to walk the talk. This doesn't mean knowing what Buddha said, but I will touch on the subject of 'right speech', since talking is what we do here. Right speech relates to the 8 fold path I earlier mentioned (you could google). Right speech falls within the category of right action along with right livelihood in that it has moral undertones. The moral basis implies that we think, say and do should be motivated by good-will rather than ill-will, and this requires honesty with yourself regarding your own intent.

To be truthfully aware of your motive requires self-awareness. You really have to know to know what is going on with yourself or you'll 'know not what you do', and if you don't know what you're doing, you won't be able to walk the talk.

......... sounds a little judgmental.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 21-04-2020, 08:57 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
You can directly experience it, everyone can.

Depends what "you" is there. Some are experiencing it and some are not. Some never will experience it. Some never stop experiencing it. Also depends on what "it" is. Some are experiencing it always and forever. Others never will and never have. Those who know what "you" and "it" are, may and may not be experiencing either, neither, or both. Really we decide what "you" and "it" are, so whether "you" experience "it" is wholly subjective that has no meaning for anyone else. It also may have no meaning to the one self defining the terms, depends what they mean by "meaning," which also is self defined so meaningless to another and perhaps oneself.

What am I?
What is it?

Welcome to philosophy! Have fun!