Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 13-11-2023, 11:03 AM
Master

Talking of “purpose”.

I was thinking about this for some time yesterday and feel that many people seem to be obsessed about having a purpose ie judging from what I’ve seen in books, magazines, forums, etc. I wonder why that is so.

I mean “why do we think we have to have a purpose? Isn’t that just the ego Taking over?

I then thought of the millions of people around the globe whose only purpose is to have a job that can support the family, enough food to eat, clean water to drink and a decent place to sleep each night. They don’t seem to need a great purpose, so why do we in the western world want one.

Then I thought about people in the West where most of us have a decent home, a car, modern facilities, a decent wage and enough to eat and drink. So when all survival needs are taken for granted, we start thinking about wanting to have a purpose. Perhaps it would be more beneficial to concentrate on improving ourselves mentally and spiritually (which will in turn benefit others as well) than looking for a purpose.

I personally feel that life is made up of “little purposes” each day such as getting the garden weeded, helping a child to read, finishing a difficult project at work, shopping for a neighbour and deciding to make a person feel happy that particular day. Surely those are the things that matter rather than having some grand purpose.

Maybe we have too much time on our hands so we decide we need a purpose.

Just some of my thoughts (not saying I’m right) I Would be interested to hear other peoples views on this subject.
Old 13-11-2023, 12:06 PM
Master
@ Redchic12 ~ true, as you say, it is ego identity that needs a purpose to enhance its well being. So, it depends on what the fulcrum of our awareness is, which in turn determines our orientation.

Let us say, we have seen our true Self as living light in a singularity. But, having seen and so known, we are here in duality. Why? The reason is simple: in singularity, there is no attribute, no adversity, no learning. So, we descend and then ascend, although the terms descent and ascent are metaphorical.

Anyway, if we have recognised our true Self, then what remains the purpose of earth life since we are both vibrant and yet nonchalant to outcomes? Yet here we are and life will continue to test us, which is what we signed up for. The purpose then, in my view, would be to embody the awareness of Self within mind-body, in the waking state, getting to, as Swami Lakshmanjoo observed, ‘with each breath, the manifest universe appears and disappears’.
Old 13-11-2023, 02:20 PM
Master

UnseekerS. Thanks for your comments. Interesting.
Old 13-11-2023, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redchic12
Talking of “purpose”.
I Would be interested to hear other peoples views on this subject.
Well, since YOU asked...ok. Here's my big answer...I don't remember thinking about it.

However! I few years ago I was given one of my 'visions' one morning.
So, ONE clear purpose for me was to learn to stop being mean.

But, of course there is a higher purpose..if you wish to pursue that.
If not, that isn't your purpose, (yet), imo.

In other lives I think my purpose was to learn to STOP pillaging villages.
Another, stop being a horse thief, robbing trains, etc.
I seem to have gotten those down..moving onto a Higher Path, now.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 13-11-2023, 04:16 PM
Master

My thoughts as well Miss H. And I don't say this as eloquently as you did. It is also a question. What does source (creator) say and does source communicate if we allow it. Extremely insightful imo, one only need listen. Sometimes we get an answer that is life changing.

Prayer, reflection, mediation, vision, asking may allow one to communicate. The source doesn't need to think about it, (as) we do.
Old 13-11-2023, 04:41 PM
Master

ego / purpose big and small

When we talk about purpose definitely it can certainly be an ego . But we have a problem of such ego which colors my judgements to the detriment of others and puts me/myself undue disproportionate importance than others and thereby consider me/myself superior to others without base. Such ego is nefarious and dangerous as it is inflexible/partial / unjust and it causes tremendous damage to one and all.

On the other hand some people have uncanny knack of keeping ego harmless toothless without sting yet very functional to effectively navigate the life easily. So if we handle the ego with due care , it can potentially be very good .

Purpose can be small and grand . There can be 'no one size fits all' . God's world is very large and diverse. And one can very easily find the purpose which suits one's temperament / capability/ liking in his/her own environment. There is ample freedom to individuals to define/refine/confine their own purpose / vision in life.

With grand visions chances of 'wow moments ' in life increases (while it may be very challenging) whereas with small purposes chances of it getting monotonous increases (while its still very safe and predictable) .
Old 13-11-2023, 05:30 PM
Experiencer
for me a life purpose is created in the mind and can come from fix something or life will be better when or i am going to be the best

just choose wisely what you create here because it will be a filter in how you persevere your reality
Old 13-11-2023, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemex
My thoughts as well Miss H.... What does source (creator) say and does source communicate if we allow it.
Hi there, I thought of something else to add...it seems to me each life is like a stepping stone closer to ...
What do you call it?
Closer to Home? To God, Source, the Creator of All? To knowledge and Wisdom? Our true Self To what Reality really is? Ha!
(Seems NDEers get a glimpse of ALL knowledge all at once sometimes!
And, of course, when we are bestowed Cosmic Consciousness!)

So each life we purify a bit, learning things...to be kind, loving -
no more murdering and mugging - until we get tired
of the nonsense of the temporariness of 'matter'....and desire to move onto other 'higher' things.

Getting weary is important to create desire for whatever is better, lasting, higher in 'frequency', let's say.

This Source - I simply call God, does communicate ---in actual sentences in our own language...and when this Being does---
it is quite a moment in time as if the Earth has stood still ...just for you.
Oh my gosh.

#36 Hitesh ...I liked your post :)

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 15-11-2023, 02:51 AM
Newbie ;)

May I suggest Viktor E. Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning?
Old 15-11-2023, 05:13 AM
Master

Aurelius. Yes I’ve read that book many years ago. Excellent!

Great comments everyone. Really enjoyed reading them.