Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 23-04-2021, 01:05 PM
Master
QUOTE 22 EXCERPT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinnat
The very simple and perhaps the only way to do this is to focus the conscious mind on one thing continuously. That thing can be anything, a mantra, A picture, a thought, a sound, light or any thing else. The object of concentration does not matter much. From my personal experience i can say that without any hesitation. Even the image of one's girlfriend or boyfriend or even *DELETED* would fetch the same result.

I agree completely. I believe that it was either Ramana Maharshi or Ramakrishna who told a farmer disciple to concentrate on what he loved most ..... and it was the bull with which he spent so much time tending to his fields.
From the one thing, one can proceed to the stillness.
Your point is excellent.
Old 23-04-2021, 01:11 PM
Master
QUOTE 31 EXCERPT:
Quote:
Contrary to what is generally believed, humans are not a singular entity but a three fold one. The innermost ingredient is consciousness, then it is wrapped by soul and then by physical body. Thus we are three folded entity. The soul is not consciousness. All of our three folds are made of different matter. Or, in other words we can say these three correspond to three different dimensions.

Hazrat Inayat Khan described the soul as "energy loaded with consciousness".
There are so many descriptions for the entity, including the pancha kosha (the five bodies of man) in Hindu literature.
In any case, I understand your point as it is very clear thus far.
Old 24-04-2021, 03:43 AM
zinnat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
QUOTE 31 EXCERPT:In any case, I understand your point as it is very clear thus far.
Thanks.I am trying to explain as much details as possible and in the simplest terms too. Having said that, it is not possible for me cover every detail. So, readers are welcome to question further.

with love,
sanjay
Old 24-04-2021, 04:16 AM
zinnat

Let us continue with the thread, the remaining details.

In order to understand meditation clearly, We have to understand mind and consciousness, their default working characters, and their relation to each other. Meditation cannot be understood without this. This is precisely the reason why it looks weird or useless to some people. let me state this as i found and understood.

Many intellectuals will object to this and claim that i am stepping into religious zone but i am not. As i mentioned above that as i found and understood., means what my personal experiences told me, Not any religious book. That is altogether a different thing that one may find something like that in some religious books also but i cannot help it.

Like most of the modern intellectual populace believes that mind and consciousness are the same thing but they are not. They are entirely two different entities but work closely with each other. Not only that, they cannot work without each other. Mind is a doing entity while consciousness is a feeling entity. Mind collects all the data from the physical organs and think over it. Consciousness neither does anything in this process nor interfere. But, consciousness has the data of all the past experiences. Means, our memory in not stored in the mind but consciousness only. However, both these entities are that much entangled with each other that for all practical purposes, they act as one not two. So, Mind think over whatever data it gets from the body, compare it likewise experiences which are stored in the consciousness as it(Mind) has full access to that memory.

Meanwhile, consciousness does nothing but remains a mere spectator in all this process but as mind goes through the analysis of present and past experiences, Consciousness feels/rewinds all those instances and thus cased present and past feelings. Now, lastly, mind takes action according to those feelings and directs body to act accordingly. And, this process goes on and on throughout our life. It looks a lengthy process but it happens instantly in reality.

To understand this working and relationship of the mind and consciousness, I would like to put an analogy forth. If we think in the terms of a computer, body is hardware, Mind is software while consciousness is like a spectator/Operator, who is looking at the screen.

One more issue is related and pertinent here, though somewhat outside the scope of the thread, But i would like to take that up right here.

As i said above that both of mind and consciousness exist and work in a very much amalgamated form and mind has access to what is stored in the consciousness. That is true for all practical reasons but not entirely. The fact of the matter is that the mind does not have access to all what is in the consciousness but only a limited portion of it, though that limited access is enough for routine working but still incomplete.

If anyhow mind is able to get the full access of the consciousness, That is enlightenment, Nirvana or whatever one wants to name it. Believe me or not, it is as simple as that. There is nothing else to know or attain whatsoever. All information/Knowledge that the mankind wants to have, is right there, inside everyone. All we have to do is to get access to that. There is no need to go to Kaaba or Himalayas. And, every quest will be over, right from big bang up to the God. Both of science and philosophy will be done.

And, that is precisely what the mediation is meant and designed for. Mediation enables mind to realize that consciousness is different from it and also gives access to that extent which is not possible normally.

with love,
sanjay
Old 24-04-2021, 05:40 AM
zinnat

Before readers get curious or suspicious about me and my source of knowledge, i think that it is right time to share some details about myself and how i learned all this.

I am an Indian, lives in India and a Hindu both by birth and religion. i got involved into meditation in my late twenties, though accidently. I basically belong to an upper middle class business family but because of some bad decisions, my family lost all when i was around 25-26. Those were very desperate times which forced me look for out of the box situations.
During that struggle, i came close to a muslim religious person, who again introduced me to one of his relative.
Quite naturally, this other fellow was also a muslim. He was some sort of small Guru kind of person. And, surprisingly, even being a muslim, he was a devotee of goddess Durga (a hindu diety).
This Guru gave me a mantra to worship Goddess Durga and asked to meditate on that. I took his advice very seriously and started meditating. As i was very desperate and somehow i believed that all my hardships would end by meditation, thus my intensity was very high. Within some months, i got some breakthroughs and keep inquiring to that guru about further course of action. But, very soon he became short of answers. So i understood that i had crossed his limitations and he cannot help me anymore.

Then, my first Muslim friend, who introduced to me this guru, asked me to meditate on Kalma and Ya Allah.
I started doing so and to my surprise, the results were exactly the same when was meditating on Hindu mantras.
Then i realized that mantras or which religion are those belong do not matter at all. The only thing that matter is the intensity/concentration of the meditation, nothing else whatsoever.

This phase of my life went on for almost 3 years. And, in those three years, i did nothing but eating, sleeping and meditating. I broke many barriers during that time but nothing changed in real life. Then, some one offered me to become a working partner in his construction company. I accepted it worked with him for 15 years. Then, when my both children became employed, i quit the work and came back to home city.

But, that habit of meditation, which i developed in those initial three years, never left me and still intact. In those first three years, i experienced many things but did know what all that was and what to do with that.
But, when i left my city for work, i got access to the internet for the first time. Then, i started looking for explanations of my experiences and realized what i experienced was nothing new or unique but people are aware of these things since ages.

This is how i got my understanding. Contrary to the general people, my journey has been upside down. Generally people read about things first then get involved in person but in my case i experienced things first then read about those. Perhaps, because of that first hand experience, i am aware of the practical details more than traditional scholars, who learned through books only.

So, that is all about me, in a nutshell, if that helps in any way.

with love,
sanjay
Old 24-04-2021, 08:06 AM
Master
Thanks for sharing, Sanjay.

Each life journey is unique, with trials & tribulations, until we voluntarily choose to internalise our attention, in thought rested awareness or meditation. Ego or identity cannot exist, unless fuelled by thought. Then that that remains is our unified lower and higher minds, aligned with universal consciousness. All one, suffused with love of the pure, unconditional type.

The manner of our knowing, is ultimately for us alone. The mental analysis of directly imbibed knowing is futile. All paths are valid, as long as we get to the roots, said Buddha! (Check out Q&A with Gautama Buddha under the channelling section).

The key question in our present limited form, is this: what do we need to do, to shift, that we see God, face to face? Nothing less will suffice. All manifestations, experiences, powers even, leave us feeling incomplete and shortchanged.

Old 24-04-2021, 08:31 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker
Each life journey is unique, with trials & tribulations, until we voluntarily choose to internalise our attention, in thought rested awareness or meditation. Ego or identity cannot exist, unless fuelled by thought. Then that that remains is our unified lower and higher minds, aligned with universal consciousness. All one, suffused with love of the pure, unconditional type.
*shortened*
I think a forum claimed channeling of Gotama has a low probability of veracity. It is also peculiar to say 'all paths are valid' when it really implies 'only paths get to the roots...'. I guess that's just an aside though when the main point is actually about appealing to Buddha as the authority. I'm a big Buddha fan, but like you say, 'knowing' is firsthand - not second hand news. It's still great to hear the explanations, though it could lead one truly, or be misleading, so totally yeah, it's really up to us alone.
Quote:
The key question in our present limited form, is this: what do we need to do, to shift, that we see God, face to face? Nothing less will suffice. All manifestations, experiences, powers even, leave us feeling incomplete and shortchanged.
Old 24-04-2021, 01:04 PM
Master
let each time be like the first time
imbibing elixir of the divine sublime
flowing like the breeze, with ease
in an aspect of embrace and release
Old 24-04-2021, 02:01 PM
Thumbs up

I believe this needs to be repeated -

All information/Knowledge that mankind wants to have,
is right there, inside everyone.
All we have to do is to get access to that.
There is no need to go to Kaaba or the Himalayas.
And, that is precisely what meditation is meant and designed for.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 24-04-2021, 05:38 PM
Master
QUOTE 42 EXCERPT:

Quote:

Contrary to the general people, my journey has been upside down. Generally people read about things first then get involved in person but in my case i experienced things first then read about those.

My journey has been similarly "upside down". My primary teacher was a Hindu mahamandeleshwara who directed me to PRACTICE and hence I too experienced things first before reading about them. It was very frustrating at first but, in retrospect, it was the best way for me personally.

I relate well to what you are writing.

P.S. Interestingly enough, like yourself, my Hindu teacher was a devotee of Durga (and Shiva as well) and my first mantras were related to Durga (and Shiva). When there were difficult periods (due primarily to problems related to my ego), I would spend time with the Mulsim Sufi Pir Vilayat Khan and chant "la ilaha Illallah". Aspects of our paths in the formative stages are very similar. I am looking forward to hearing more.

With love,
Maarkandeya