Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 28-05-2022, 03:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay00
I am talking about New Age movements which have started in recent times, and obviously they would not have the background and timeline of an older tradition.

Such as...?
And why does it have to be old?
Old 29-05-2022, 08:05 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay00
Imo, it is more of a new way of interpreting old teachings and traditions in a way understandable to the current generation, and providing more insight to these teachings, and transforming the vagueness into coherence.
For example, the original meaning for 'karma' is 'action' and now it's reward/punishment mentality. For example everyone has a lot to say about the ego yet nobody mentions Ahamkara. #For example many have so much to say about the self but never a mention of Atman. None realise that talking of the ego and self is psychology and any wisdom on both of those is conjured up. There are so many words and terms that have been taken from other areas of human understanding and their meanings have been changed beyond any real understanding.

Adyashanti talking about the Gospel of Thomas is one thing because there is wisdom there, I'm familiar with the Gospel of Thomas myself. The difference is he's referencing the material directly and gaining new understandings that suit this day and age. I don't have a problem with that, not do I have a problem with Tolle reinterpreting the Bible.

What doesn't help understanding is reinvention, and that's a corruption.