Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Exercise

Old 03-01-2024, 08:32 PM
Newbie ;)

Exercise or using the body ?

Not sure how these threads work . Some seem old with few or intermittent replies . I’m new here . This is my grand total of second post but anyway here’s the deal with me . I recently started walking after a lengthy period of slug life . That’s my term for sedentary. In the halcyon days of youth I ran a lot and rode road bikes a lot and other strenuous endurance activities . That was 25 to 40years ago and the mindset then was to excel and be competitive. I see things differently now . My new activity is to use the physical machine as it was intended . Sitting around doing nothing is wasting your vitality. I’ve made other lifestyle changes and I feel good . There isn’t a goal or a finish line yet I’m motivated . It’s nice going outside and being with the natural earth . If I couldn’t do this I might be no better off than a caged animal . Will I stay with it ? Yes! I know myself and I know myself to be focused . I didn’t ask a question but I wonder what others feel about exercise . Is it exercise or is it life ?
Old 06-02-2024, 02:42 AM
Newbie ;)

Hi Midrich

I think when I was younger, I was very competitive but I never pushed myself to the limits that some do, in certain sports or strenuous activities. I tended to know quite naturally when I was overdoing things or pushing too hard, so rarely did those things. I think also the sport I played was more about developing skill rather than pushing hard and enduring. The sport naturally kept me fit, the rest was perfecting the skills in all manner of ways I could in those sports. So I was happy in this way.

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve reflected on my parents and grandparents and how they stayed fit and healthy and often it was just through the life experience, walking and digging the earth, building stuff, daily living stuff that moved their bodies and kept them active. I don’t believe in extremes at all. I’m more interested in balance. I eat healthy, walk, ride for fun, do yoga and a bit of Pilates because I enjoy being in a body that feels alive and healthy. I don’t have a mindset that should and needs too, but rather I prefer to live in a balanced way, connect to my body and listen.

I have read that quite a lot of professional bike riders do end up with heart issues early on. It seems that pushing the body to extremes is much like not pushing yourself and living a very sedate life. Both are not entirely beneficial long term.
Old 06-02-2024, 03:17 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midrich
I recently started walking after a lengthy period of slug life. My new activity is to use the physical machine as it was intended . Sitting around doing nothing is wasting your vitality. I’ve made other lifestyle changes and I feel good . There isn’t a goal or a finish line yet I’m motivated . It’s nice going outside and being with the natural earth . If I couldn’t do this I might be no better off than a caged animal . Will I stay with it ? Yes! I know myself and I know myself to be focused . I didn’t ask a question but I wonder what others feel about exercise . Is it exercise or is it life ?
I guess exercise is training specific, and specific to a goal, and an 'active life style' is doing a lot enjoyable physical activities. Though training can also be enjoyable.

The benefit of training is tracking progressive overload. If walking for example, increasing steps/distance or walking a bit faster, or taking on hills or maybe adding in a bit of jogging or any combination thereof. If yoga, reach new limits of flexibility, poise and balance. Whatever the case, progressive overload just means doing more than you used to.

Coming from slug life, the smallest amount will make a huge difference, but if you are inclined toward continual improvement, gradual progressive overload as the body adapts is the ticket. Slow and steady. I think that comes naturally anyway, but when you hit a plateau, it needs a little push.

I think you're on the right track, staying with it, as nothing matters more than consistency.

Having past athleticism will be a huge advantage.

It sounds very positive. Kudos.