Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Past Lives & Reincarnation

Old 22-11-2022, 09:43 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
"You have the right to act but you are not entitled to the fruits of your actions."
The right to act is not all that different from the power to act. They are both indicative of our choice to act. Having a choice to act is meaningless if it doesn't come with the right and power to act. But I disagree with the second part of your translation. The consequences of our actions are ours to bear; but we don't control those consequences. Our choice / right / power to act is an entitlement. Other than that, we are not entitled to anything. But we are on the hook for the consequences of our actions. There is no conflict between choice and karma. But exercising choice comes with consequences which are ours to bear.
Old 23-11-2022, 05:14 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris
But I disagree with the second part of your translation.
That is fine. I am no authority on Sanskrit. But presuming that we are talking about 2:47 then I have five different translations/commentaries on the Bhagavad Gita on my bookshelves which all say the same thing.

Never mind. Such quibbles are a side issue.

Peace
Old 24-11-2022, 01:35 AM
Master

"karmaṇyevādhikāraste mā phaleṣu kadācana"
I translated this earlier as "you have the power to act. But you do not have power over the consequences of your actions". The question is not just how to translate the Sanskrit word adhikāra, but also how to be consistent in our translation. Ideally, translation should read "you have the power to act but not over the consequences of your actions". In the original, the word adhikāra is used only once and it is understood in the second part of the statement. The word adhikāra could be rendered as right, in which case the translation should be "you have the right to act but not over the consequences of your actions". But the translators such as the ones you refer translate the word adhikāra once as right and second time as entitlement. That is playing loose with words to read what one wants to read in the original.
Old 24-11-2022, 07:17 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Who would choose to be a murderer...oh that's funny, and a good question... I guess I do a lot more research on this stuff than most. lol, like since before many here were born!

I too have done a lot of research over the years, combined with personal experiences, and I agree with you. There are many books on reincarnation and hypnotic regression.

One recurring statement regressed subjects make is, "I have been a murderer and a murder victim". Many go on to explain that we must experience everything from many sides. For example, one soul stated, "To understand darkness one must experience light". We need to experience all possible facettes to fully experience and understand. In many ways, we are children but we are growing.

Dr. Brian Weiss is good as are Helen Wambach, Robert Schwartz, Michael Newton, and many more. There were many psychologists writing about hypnotic regression starting in the 1950s and 1960s but many of these authors used pseudonyms because they could have lost their jobs if they published under their real names. Psychologists, starting in the 1950s, were trained to conduct hypnotic regression but found that many of their subjects spoke of past life experiences. Psychologists were trained to ignore these stories as fantasies conjured up in the minds of their subjects. However, when these stories were examined, many matched historical facts, which was something the subject would not have known in their present life (I personally experienced this with memories of several historical events I witnessed; they match or surpass what is found in history books). Many of these psychologists wrote magazine articles in the 1950s and 1960s describing their regression experiences but it was Helen Wambach, Ph.D. who was one of the first to publish books under her real name -- she interviewed a few thousand people and collected their information and experiences while her subjects were hypnotically regressed. Her questions like, "What do we know when we are born?", "Do we know our purpose for being born?", "Why did we choose the lives we chose?", "Do we know and have we lived previous lives with the people know in this life?", etc. are quite revealing. Her first two books are her best.

From reading these books, which number over 60 over the years (and counting), I have learned more about my past lives. The more you read, the deeper you understand. Sometimes it will jar my memory or it is simply something I can relate with. Many of the lives others have lived are identical or similar to mine including their conclusions as to why they chose those lives. You can learn a lot from reading about the experiences of others, which is why these books are written. Even reading about their experiences of being in the spiritual realm, between lives, matches many of the memories and dreams I had as a child and even as an adult. It puts our lives into perspective.

PastPilot

Last edited by PastPilot : 24-11-2022 at 11:03 PM.
Old 25-11-2022, 03:06 PM
Guide

Excellent questions. I too have wondered who would choose to be one of the heinous, horrible characters the world has dealt with.

On a much less horrible level, I sort of understand. My mother was not much of a mother. Didn't express love, didn't cuddle or play with us, rarely said anything to us beyond "be quiet." There was no warmth or joy involved in our relationship.

After she passed (many years after) I questioned my guides about that, and Mother too. If I am to believe what I was told (and why should I not?) I ASKED Mother to behave like that. I needed/planned a particular sort of life which would require a specific mind-set. To achieve my goals, I needed an uncaring, unconventional mother. Supposedly she agreed reluctantly, but fulfilled the role as best she could.

I am who I am today because Mother played her role the way she did. She wasn't actually evil, but maybe that's sort of how it works for those who play truly evil roles. Maybe the Universe unfolding the way it wanted to required certain events and certain villains.

Just my thoughts.
Old 25-11-2022, 06:13 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender Moonchild
..... choose another life according to the experiences you are looking to collect or perhaps the Karma you are trying to heal.
One doesn't choose another incarnation according to the experience they are looking for. Liking or try an opposite one like selecting from a menu, if you will. The experience has not been completed has it? One is continuing the experience which is the journey of the whole of it. You may choose when to incarnate (to continue).
Old 25-11-2022, 06:58 PM
Master

Tuff question, if I may comment on the second thought. I'd say, don't limit the answer being sought using a specific word, but see in larger terms, what of other things done just or as bad. All, even lesser ones, come from the same place, one place, don't they? Don't think all is unconnected or separate when we say but this is different, it's not the same. What of other things done again. Here use the knowledge of others available. They are a good source. Hope this helps.