Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature

Old 03-02-2023, 01:25 AM
Newbie ;)

Bird Feathers & Tail Feathers

Over the Xmas break I had a Pied Currawong visit for a couple of weeks. It’s a bird in Eastern Australia. I don’t see them much, only 4 or 5 times in the 7 years where I’ve been living. Anyway after I first saw him the next time I came outside there was one of his feathers next to my outdoor table and this got me thinking about feathers. I did some research but also developed my own thoughts more in relation to the bird’s perspective. I’m a novice so my words have no authority so I would welcome other people’s thoughts or intuitions.

Bird Feathers:
A bird feather is truly a gift. When you receive one it has been immaculately cared for and maintained. It has been through One cycle in the bird’s life. Whether it be flying through crisp blue skies, turbulent winds, exploring, foraging, evading storms or worse seeking shelter in unfamiliar surroundings, finding a mate, building a nest, being protective, raising chicks, it has lived and experienced them all. Personally, I like the thought of the older the feather looks the more lived the life cycle is. So, the symbology of a bird’s feather is well deserved.

There’s been so much written on feathers, but I’d like to make one comment about Death & Rebirth because for some the prospect of unknown change can be daunting. As we know a bird won’t moult all of its feathers at once, it’s something that takes place over time during the moulting season. In this sense it’s not an abrupt death and rebirth. Whilst it could be a moment of enlightenment it is not the same for all. II like to think of the symbology as a transition from old to new in a very natural way.

Tail Feathers:
Although the feather I received wasn’t a tail feather I couldn’t find anything on the subject which surprised me because it can identify so much more than just a feather can. Once again, my thoughts are more related to the practical side.

Most people think of a bird flying because of its wings but tail feathers are crucially important to the bird’s flight. They create stability and maintain direction. Think of putting paper on a table and twisting it with your palm and you’ll find how easy it is. Add weight on the paper behind your palm and it’s not as easy to twist. If there weren’t tail feathers the bird could still fly but it would take considerably more work to correct itself from twisting. So, receiving one may suggest the need stability in one’s life.

The tail feathers assist with initiating direction and speed. It enhances the ability to bank which adds flexibility to movement with greater ease. They are also spread apart to slow down quickly to turn, or for landing.

In light of initiating direction, lowering speed and adding stability these maybe crucial questions moving forward from old to new. That there be more involvement or focus required from the individual for profound change.

Lastly, there a very few tails feather in relation to the rest of the bird. So, I’m going to suggest working with others for an extremely important cause which will be highly beneficial more broadly. There isn’t any self-interest. The feather itself represent the individual but how they assist in transformation through cooperation. Or it may mean the necessity to gain the help of others to lead them to the next step in their growth.

I don’t know how to interpret the highly symbolic nature of a feather and a tail feather together. The tail feather has a more practical element for me. Is it asking or guiding? Are we already bestowed or is it suggesting the need to recognize these attributes are required for meaningful change? Or am I simply barking up the wrong tree?

Many thanks,
Adrian.