Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 04-01-2011, 01:17 AM
dogninja

I work in a shelter that is now no-kill, but 2 years ago I was the evaluator and manager of a kill shelter. Going to work in the morning would have me forced to select up to 10 dogs just to start the day for space. One day, a dog came in shot by the cops (a fairly frequent event) and was in shock. The dog had been protecting it's owner, was used as a weapon and was shot. The dog accomplished it's mission and had bit the cop, took 3 slugs in the process. As the dog calmed on the ride to our animal control, the shock set in. So as the dog comes in the building on a cart, after getting the details I spend some time comforting the dog. Loyal, noble and dutiful, this dog had spent its life with an abusive drug dealer.. used for protection, fought, and used as a weapon. Due to the dog's wounds we had to euthanize her. Due to the bite, we had to decap a specimen. Due to the police weapon discharge, the slugs had to be retrieved. So a martyr to a specimen,to a unrecognizable pile before my eyes. None of this was truly the dogs fault.

I then stopped eating meat. Very simple... being+death= meat.

Human beings selectively judge some animals edible and inedible based on culture and value. We USE animals as pets,food... we dress them like people or starve them in basements. We domesticate them so they may serve us, and we pay them back with our ego. Some of my best friends were court case dogs who were euthanized by court order. People spare themselves the suffering which they do not see. People have a million reasons why they still must eat animals. I believe it is ignorance.

I have never worked on a farm or in a place that would harvest animal bodies for food, but I could not.

They are not here for our use, they are here for our respect. We are intelligent enough to find alternatives to meat and dairy products.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:12 AM
Master
Dogninja that story is going to stick with me for a long time, thankyou so much for sharing that.
Spiritlite.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Guide
A youtuber open my eyes a bit and provoked me to do research
and question my diet. I'm so glad he did. I couldn't come up with
one good logical reason to eat meat. But I could come up with hundreds
of reasons why I shouldn't. Looking back its amazing how easy it was to go vegetarian.
I feel sooooooooooooooo much better now. Spiritually
and physically. I plan to become vegan or at least ,for now vegan, as
possible. I cut eggs out of my diet because they gross me out. So why
harm a chicken for something I don't even want?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogninja
Human beings selectively judge some animals edible and inedible based on culture and value.
I don't see anything wrong with that, we all do it.
Some animals clearly show friendship, loyalty, intelligence, some are self-aware.
We all make choices which means we discriminate.

--
I've been lacto vegetarian, lacto-ovo vegetarian and flexitarian.
I support the lacto-ovo vegetarian diet, it is a healthy option.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Master
hmmm now I want to be a vegetarian...
Spiritlite
Old 04-01-2011, 10:52 PM
dogninja

[quote=Chrysaetos]I don't see anything wrong with that, we all do it.
Some animals clearly show friendship, loyalty, intelligence, some are self-aware.
We all make choices which means we discriminate.

I don't care to debate it, I was replying to the thread question. Thank you for your opinion.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Master
but animals are living things Chrys....no matter how unaware WE BELIEVE them to be...they may look at us and say look at those lowly unaware animals!
Spiritlite.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritlite
but animals are living things Chrys....no matter how unaware WE BELIEVE them to be...they may look at us and say look at those lowly unaware animals!Spiritlite.
Of course they are all living beings.

But to me, a dog is more important then a fly.
And I value the protection of dolphins more then the protection of mites.

Little creatures like bugs have very short lives, other species like elephants are intelligent, social, and generally live long.
Some creatures are intelligent, social, have personalities, and can clearly feel pains and pleasures.

They are all important, but we all have our preferences.
When it comes to humans; our family and friends are more dear to us then strangers from a distant country.

We ALL discriminate.

Make your own choices, do what you think is the right choice for you.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Master
Flies have their importance to this earth as well, so do bugs.................
Spiritlite.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:31 AM
Sira

I eat what I can afford. For the last three days it has been cooked, white pasta, no sauce, nothing added. And my body is starting to reject it. Today I was only able to eat some forkfulls. Then I started feeling like it did not go down anymore. I had a dream last night. I went to a supermarket and bought a food supplement container of tablets containing vitamins and minerals. I was holding it so close to my heart. I felt I need to take them home.
For me, to talk about preferences of eating vegetarian or vegan or animal food, is just that, talk. When you have to weigh every cent to sustain your body, to give it the best ingredients that you can, you do what you can. I only eat once a day, just a plate of something simple. No snacks. And I know that there are many people on this Earth who don't even get to eat once a day. Let's start thinking just a bit larger.