Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 22-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Pennie Westbrook

Wicca Question

Recently I enrolled in a Wicca Seminary to study Wicca with the goal of reaching the level of Priestess. I have studied various religions/spiritual beliefs over the years and Wicca spoke to me in ways no other belief system has before. A draw (among many others) was that it is a system of beliefs that is truely on love. Anything felt other than love is basically wrong or deems you less powerful. It is a spiritual practice for yourself, not as a means to judge others.

That all being said, once I enrolled in this scool, I have noticed that there is a strong heterosexual spin. You see my partner and I both are attending the school. I understand balance of course, anyone with any knowledge of Wicca would have to have this understanding. But each of us has to find the balance within ourselves. Or so that is how I see it. Be familiar with that which relates to God and that which relates to Goddess. I do not interpret it as being every relationship has to be made up of one man and one woman. My partner has noticed that once everyone learned of our relationship suddenly devotionals everyone stressed more and more their thankfullness for their husbands, overly stressed from what it was before. One discussion we attended regarding "Herstory" was discussing our position to our partners in their case a heavy stressing and importance of the female and male balance.

I am starting to question my decision on this. Everything about Wicca I fully agree with, but if it is not a faith that can accept my hearts love, that could trump everything else.

Can someone else please give feedback. Is it the faith that is making us feel this way or is it the way others carry themselves that are of that spirtual belief?
Old 22-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Master
Pennie, I am totally mystified by your post. Are you American by any chance ?
Wicca is not something to be studied. It is to be experienced and lived. Like many people, I started with Wicca but moved away to the much older roots. However, I am a global moderator of a Wiccan/Pagan forum which has several HPS's who dropped out of covens because of the ritual and bureaucracy. To the best of my knowledge, the membership are all Solitaries. I have never come across sexual-gender issues in Wicca.

You may not like what I am about to say but I think that you should question the seminary "thing" and, secondly, think about why you want High Priestess status.
My honest opinion is that you and your partner should go your own way. Make Wicca your own, forget the rituals and the "wrappings" and get back to the heart of it. Live it and feel it ! I hope others also offer their opinions on this.
Old 23-03-2013, 09:46 AM
LadyTerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
Wicca is not something to be studied. It is to be experienced and lived. Like many people, I started with Wicca but moved away to the much older roots. However, I am a global moderator of a Wiccan/Pagan forum which has several HPS's who dropped out of covens because of the ritual and bureaucracy. To the best of my knowledge, the membership are all Solitaries. I have never come across sexual-gender issues in Wicca.

You may not like what I am about to say but I think that you should question the seminary "thing" and, secondly, think about why you want High Priestess status.
My honest opinion is that you and your partner should go your own way. Make Wicca your own, forget the rituals and the "wrappings" and get back to the heart of it. Live it and feel it ! I hope others also offer their opinions on this.

I agree with this. Some of my favorite Authors are (or were) Wiccan.

Their books rest on the shelves of my personal library. However--I have other books from other Spiritual Belief Systems and enjoy doing research (very much)--so my collection is ever expanding.

I was an Initiate on my Solitary path for (4) years and when I was ready to fully Dedicate myself to the TripleGoddess--I was legally ordained.

You do not need another person to tell you what you can and cannot do--
or to judge your path in any way.

I honor the Father--but I am dedicated to the Mother. I serve my Lady.

Peace and Love on the path of your choice...

Blessed be...
Old 23-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Niebla0007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennie Westbrook
Recently I enrolled in a Wicca Seminary to study Wicca with the goal of reaching the level of Priestess.
That all being said, once I enrolled in this scool, I have noticed that there is a strong heterosexual spin. My partner has noticed that once everyone learned of our relationship suddenly devotionals everyone stressed more and more their thankfullness for their husbands, overly stressed from what it was before. One discussion we attended regarding "Herstory" was discussing our position to our partners in their case a heavy stressing and importance of the female and male balance.
I am starting to question my decision on this. Everything about Wicca I fully agree with, but if it is not a faith that can accept my heart's love, that could trump everything else. Is it the faith that is making us feel this way or is it the way others carry themselves that are of that spirtual belief?
Female and male balance is just one of the important lessons to learn
but I've never heard of covens rejecting same sex relationships.
You just have to complete all the levels of Initiations if you want to achieve the goal you have mentioned.
If you took Wiccan Seminar to study Wicca with the goal of reaching the level of Priestess to be a Priestess,
then I see how having the same gender partner may be a bit of an issue as a Priestess must have her Priest, which is just for ceremonial rites. But you do not need to be legally married to the same priest.
Furthermore, starting a coven means having your own followers, often taking some initiates with you in branching out. It takes a foundation, development/expansion, and maintenance - it's not a small joke.
My sympathy on your situation, if your partner cannot accept you having a loving relationship with others such as with a priest, then you just have to decide - choose if you can't work a way around it.

Wish you all the best

Old 24-04-2013, 07:34 AM
Master
"Covens" and "Followers" are a mismatch with the whole ethos of the ancient faith - wicca is just a new twig on that ancient tree !
It is fair to comment that the norm in Britain, where wicca originated, is Solitary practitioners with occasional co-operative informal Working Groups. Wicca, and the other paths, are individualistic - everyone has to find and follow their own path.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Chikari

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
Wicca is not something to be studied. It is to be experienced and lived. Like many people, I started with Wicca but moved away to the much older roots. However, I am a global moderator of a Wiccan/Pagan forum which has several HPS's who dropped out of covens because of the ritual and bureaucracy.

First let me say thank you because your post helped put my mind at ease. I had been worrying about this a bit when I saw people online saying things about having to be in a coven to learn and such. And yes, I'm American. Second, you mention that you later moved on to much older roots. Do you mind sharing what you mean by that? Like what specific older roots are you talking about?
Old 13-06-2014, 04:43 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennie Westbrook
It is a spiritual practice for yourself, not as a means to judge others.

That all being said, once I enrolled in this scool, I have noticed that there is a strong heterosexual spin.

Way back when - in Gardnerian covens it was stressed, simply from a magical viewpoint, that a man and woman could raise power better than two females or two males, so your 'working partner' was usually of the opposite sex; it was not meant to judge others on their private lives. This is considered a bit old fashioned these days and is not followed very much any more.

In my opinion and in my experience, if you get two powerful people of the same sex working together they can raise as much (and more, sometimes) power than a heterosexual couple.

You may be interested in looking into the Dianic Witchcraft Tradition of women's Goddess spirituality started by Zsuszanna Budapest.

I'd also like to say that I love Norseman but he and I differ in our opinions about 'studying' Wicca. Reading and learning about the use of the tools, casting the circle, understanding what the Quarters and Elementals are all about; what Thoughtforms are, etc. can be 'studied' (IMHO) and gives you a strong base with which to form your practice; after which, you may cast about and choose a different path to walk.
Old 13-06-2014, 08:00 AM
LadyTerra

One of the best basic books that I have run across--that will give you the majority of this information is by the Wiccan Author--Ann Moura and is entitled--"Green Witchcraft" (vol. 1). If you like that one--you may want to check-out the other 2 volumes in the series.
Old 13-06-2014, 08:46 AM
Teiksma

I have olways thought that Wicca accept homosexuals. I am bisexual and polyamoros, living with two man, but I have never felt discrimination. In my coven it is ok. In wiccan forums it was olways ok. I feel surprised that you have problems with it.
Goddess - God balance is in everything, even in single soul. You dont have to be in heterosexual relationship to feel it.
If you are thinking about this one particular school - The Church and School of Wicca, then yes, they believe that you need to practice in heterosexual pair, but it is not all Wicca.
You just need to find another wiccan path :) Wiccans are accepting in those things, you will see :)
Old 13-06-2014, 02:34 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikari
First let me say thank you because your post helped put my mind at ease. I had been worrying about this a bit when I saw people online saying things about having to be in a coven to learn and such. And yes, I'm American. Second, you mention that you later moved on to much older roots. Do you mind sharing what you mean by that? Like what specific older roots are you talking about?

Chicari, the path I follow is the Cunning Path which, as far as can be checked, is pre-christian by a long way - probably originating with tribal wise men/women. It can be considered to be British Traditional Witchcraft but with shamanic rituals added.

About this "must be in a coven" thing and talk of "lineage" etc. If you examine wicca, you will find that is based on British Traditional Witchcraft but is sort-of low calorie. This is how Gardner "built" it. He wanted to popularise the belief without using the "W" word. So, he grafted on a religion made-up from old Nature/Fertility cults. He grafted on various mystique factors, such as covens and initiatory forms. He did a pik-n-mix around most of the esoteric movements in the building. None of the add-ons exist in B.T.W. which is NOT a religion, although many "witches" do have a Nature-based belief. So, wicca dates from the 1950's. B.T.W. does not have covens or degrees of initiation. It is mostly solitary and self-declared and the most important factor is EXPERIENCE ! Wicca in America [60/70's] gained a poor reputation through dictatorial HP/HPS's and accusation of physical/sexual abuse in covens.

Hope this helps but, bear in mind that British and American wicca are like "chalk and cheese".