Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 08:24 AM
Master
Baptism Of/By Fire.

There's so many conflicting interpretations regarding the meaning. Ideas please
Old 08-10-2021, 10:12 AM
Master

I can only give you an outsider's perspective.

To me it seems that a baptism is in effect an introduction of a person to the Holy Spirit, so they may be touched by her.
A Baptism by water is a physical act, that symbolises the real, spiritual act.
Baptism by fire is Baptism in the spiritual sense, when you are cleansed by the fire of the Holy Spirit and your sins are burnt / washed away.
Hinduism has a similar concept with the fire of Shakti burning away Karma.
In reality though, I don't think Baptism By Fire is a biblical term, it was historically used to describe the first battle of new recruits in the armed forces.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:29 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne
In reality though, I don't think Baptism By Fire is a biblical term, it was historically used to describe the first battle of new recruits in the armed forces.
Thanks NoOne, it is actually Biblical but there's so many different interpretations. I hadn't heard about Shakti before, thats interesting Regarding ' Sins' being burnt away, that is something I have heard many times whilst reading Documents relating to 'Burning at the stake'....
Old 08-10-2021, 10:47 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Thanks NoOne, it is actually Biblical but there's so many different interpretations. I hadn't heard about Shakti before, thats interesting Regarding ' Sins' being burnt away, that is something I have heard many times whilst reading Documents relating to 'Burning at the stake'....
Shakti is a similar concept to the Holy Shekinah in Judeo-Christian tradition, which was the predecessor of the idea of the Holy Spirit.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:57 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Interesting, in the Fr wikipedia page of Baptism By Fire, there is a bible mention:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bapt%C3%AAme_du_feu

Matthew 3:11
11 “I baptize you with[a] water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with[b] the Holy Spirit and fire.
12 His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire.
Luke 3:16
16 John answered them all, “I baptize you with[b] water. But one who is more powerful than I will come, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with[c] the Holy Spirit and fire.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:23 AM
Ascender
For burning away Karma, I have experienced it physically.

While developing Samadhi, the body usually needs to heat a lot. At least it's what happened for me. Physically what happens is that the spine needs to be fully clean and straight, that's where the energy flows. It's a purification process and it seems to be related to Karma.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:33 PM
Master
'I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
~Matthew 3:11'

Who is this 'I' ? From what I have personally read Jesus did not Baptise others This is but one Article I have read,
https://www.gotquestions.org/did-Jesus-baptize.html
Old 08-10-2021, 03:34 PM
Master
Quote:
Shakti is a similar concept to the Holy Shekinah in Judeo-Christian tradition, which was the predecessor of the idea of the Holy Spirit.
Thanks something else I must read about.....
Old 08-10-2021, 04:11 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume
For burning away Karma, I have experienced it physically.

While developing Samadhi, the body usually needs to heat a lot. At least it's what happened for me. Physically what happens is that the spine needs to be fully clean and straight, that's where the energy flows. It's a purification process and it seems to be related to Karma.

Guillaume,

Thanks for sharing. This is the closest thing offered that is an indication of the baptism of fire. Somehow people seemed to have been assuming because the word baptism is being used that there is an individual or individuals that administer this baptism. In Christian circles it is accepted that the baptism of fire can occur as a result of infused meditation. In consciousness jargon it represents movement from the psychic level to the subtle level. The flow of energy indeed produces a physical burning sensation. It is a purifying process that is essentially making space for an infusion of spirit. Those who undergo this experience often seek to abort the experience because of fear of the unknown. 1 John 4:18…..”There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.”

Oddly enough this fear can happen to the religious because they cannot arise above the mythic level which they grew up in. They fall short of experiencing a love of the purest form imaginable.

As a side note to these discussions of baptism consider the story of Lazarus, thr friend of Jesus. It has been suggested that his death was the result of a failed initiation rite….a water baptism gone wrong. Correctly done these baptisms produced an NDE experience.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:23 PM
Master

Another side note: Pure love demands a dying to self….surrender of the survival instinct which is a function of the ego. Numerous scriptures point directly to this,
Closed Thread