Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 14-06-2021, 06:37 AM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
You don't have to listen to others but if someone asks a question in a Buddhist Section then you will get a Buddhist Teaching as an answer You yourself used ' Bad ' for some habits Buddha used ' Unwholesome .. '

unwholesome is an english word so no, buddha did not use it nor did buddha know that word. or are you claiming buddha spoke english?
Old 14-06-2021, 06:45 AM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
Sort them out Wholesome from Unwholesome.

i just did a quick web search and the first Buddhist web site i came to said in Buddhism "unwholesome" literally refers to a mental state where one focuses on the parts and not the whole. so when you use the term to mean" good" and "bad" or "right" and "wrong" you have misrepresented the Buddhist meaning.

to "sort out" would be defined in buddism as unwholesome perception.
Old 14-06-2021, 06:47 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky
unwholesome is an english word so no, buddha did not use it nor did buddha know that word. or are you claiming buddha spoke english?

Well you see what happens with Ancient Scriptures is that they are 'Translated' as was the Bible, Jesus didn't speak English either but we can read His Teachings
Old 14-06-2021, 06:48 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Does that same analogy apply in the Christian Section?

Does it? Not sure. Christians speak more of sins and forgiveness, don’t they? Not sure.
Old 14-06-2021, 06:51 AM
Master
Quote:
i just did a quick web search and the first Buddhist web site i came to said......

Best to read Sutras/Suttas to get the whole picture.
Old 14-06-2021, 06:56 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
What kind of desires do you have?

I have more natural “intimate” cravings which I can’t satisfy for years (only recently I’ve had someone becoming intimate with me) if that’s ok enough for the younger ones reading.

I have more dark cravings in the sense of dying and losing everything I have because I feel helpless and there seems to be no ending to my pains.

I have more ok cravings such as desiring good food or a nice walk (I can’t walk very far because I’m limited by my mental health condition, which prohibits me to do a lot).

I have more “wholesome” cravings such as that my friends are doing well or that my mother will live long.

Such things.

Thank you.

Much kindness,

Cosmic Wonder
Old 14-06-2021, 07:00 AM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
Well you see what happens with Ancient Scriptures is that they are 'Translated'

in other words, yes i am right buddha never used the english word unwholesome. in buddhism, bad actions are clearly laid out in Buddhist dogma:

bad actions: that lead to bad karma according to buddhism

1.Destroying life
2.Taking what is not given
3.Wrong conduct in regard to sense pleasures
4.False speech
5.Slanderous speech
6.Harsh speech
7.Idle chatter
8.Covetousness
9.Ill will
10. Wrong view

some very similar to the ten commandments.
Old 14-06-2021, 07:01 AM
Master

Hii AbodhiSky,

Yes agreeing with that desires get a bad rep. I hope I can figure out somewhat in this thread about what to do with it
Old 14-06-2021, 07:16 AM
Master
Quote:
in other words, yes i am right buddha never used the english word unwholesome. in buddhism, bad actions are clearly laid out in Buddhist dogma:

Yes neither Buddha nor Jesus spoke English and Christian Dogma was Translated also, obviously
Old 14-06-2021, 07:21 AM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWonder
Hii AbodhiSky,

Yes agreeing with that desires get a bad rep. I hope I can figure out somewhat in this thread about what to do with it

i would not worry about any desires or sensual pleasures that do not harm others or ourselves. pleasure is not a "sin" or wrong.

you know it's like enjoying donuts. nothing wrong with that. but then imagine someone starts eating nothing but donuts, then they get sick, so then they are harming themselves which is wrong. as long we don't harm ourselves or others, it's fine.

i knew one master who had ice cream every afternoon. he really loved ice cream.

there are a few people here and there who are anti-pleasure as a philosophy, ascetics right, people who believe in denial of pleasure, buddha tried the ascetic life and said that was not the way to peace or spirituality.

i don't think any sensual pleasure is bad or wrong in itself. they are gifts from god. but any pleasure can be made bad if it involves harming others or ourselves.

everything in moderation. sometimes one can get too addicted to a certain pleasure and in that case, one should not do it so often. if one does things too often, it can harm one physically or mentally.