Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 07:33 AM
Master
The opening posting of this thread went as follows: "Those reading this probably will consider themselves a Spiritualist but I suspect they really are Spiritist. Please discuss." (my emphasis)

With the greatest respect to the member who wrote it, ONLY someone who is either a Spiritualist or a Spiritist actually KNOWS what their own persuasion means to them personally, which 'ist' they feel they are. Only they can discuss their own approach and which religion/philosophy they are most drawn to.

Now, however, this topic has drifted off into a wholly academic discussion comparing the emergence of the two religions. As a Modern Spiritualist myself - no discussion about that - I'm flattered that there is such interest in discussing both my own persuasion and its sister religion. If anyone would like to know what motivates me I would be very happy to explain. Perhaps other Spiritualists and Spiritists feel similarly? I certainly would like to hear their take on things.

The emergence and history of the religions, though, are subjects worthy of their own thread rather than in this one. Those academically knowledgeable could then discuss these historical events and others can gen up on these two similar movements.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:23 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjob

EXCERPT

The emergence and history of the religions, though, are subjects worthy of their own thread rather than in this one. Those academically knowledgeable could then discuss these historical events and others can gen up on these two similar movements.

In order to understand and grasp the similarities and differences of Spiritism and Spiritualism, it would seem that knowing a little bit of the background in each religion/belief system would be in order. Without that background, this thread would be frivolous.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind
     whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 03-06-2021, 10:23 AM
Master
It should be noted that Spiritualism is commonly referenced as Modern Day Spiritualism which implies an 'older' version of Spiritualism existed before Modern Day Spiritualism. Some assume that Emanuel Swedenborg was a Spiritualist, and if so, where there others before him? I would definitely say "YES"!

Old 03-06-2021, 10:34 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
In order to understand and grasp the similarities and differences of Spiritism and Spiritualism, it would seem that knowing a little bit of the background in each religion/belief system would be in order. Without that background, this thread would be frivolous.

I don't think it would be frivolous although it would be pretty pointless....

More than that, though, speaking as someone who actually is an adherent of one of those 'isms' I am certain from experience it's not important to know much background about either to gain from either the benefit of the message of survival. That's the essential message of Spiritualism. If folk haven't got that it means they're really not following.

As I pointed out elsewhere here, a discussion of the emergence and development of either 'ism' is an academic exercise when one is not an adherent. It would be like me discussing the intricacies of any mainstream religion that I had studied but didn't practise.

Comparative religion is fine for those who are interested but it's not the province of this thread.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:41 AM
Master
Quote:
It should be noted that Spiritualism is commonly referenced as Modern Day Spiritualism which implies an 'older' version of Spiritualism existed before Modern Day Spiritualism. Some assume that Emanuel Swedenborg was a Spiritualist, and if so, where there others before him? I would definitely say "YES"!

You're still looking at academic issues, BJ......

This is the Spiritualism forum, a movement, religion, philosophy that has its roots in upstate New York. It's 'Modern Spiritualism' just to distinguish it as the most recent emergence of an awareness of survival et al that was there long before the present one.

But all this stuff belongs in a thread which looks at Spiritualism in general, its pioneers and its emergence in the 19th century and near-disappearance in the new millennium.

Maybe time for you to start a new thread for such a conversation, BJ?
Old 03-06-2021, 01:35 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
I guess I missed some posts - I didn't realize that Brazil was so interested in Spiritism..makes sense
since Chico Xavier was from there! I did just order a book by or about Mr. Kardic.
Spiritism is very big in Brazil, and Brazil may even have the highest percentage of Spiritists than in any other country in the world. The group that I attend (though somewhat irregularly) is primarily Brazilian ... but I attend the English-speaking sessions.

http://www.abpbrasil.org.br/historia...st_madness.pdf

EXCERPT:
Spiritism is widely accepted in Brazil and influences psychiatric practice,especially through religious-oriented hospitals.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:38 PM
Master
Quote:

I agree with you on that point. That is why I investigated Spiritism in person while listening to what others are sharing here about Spiritualism (about which I know virtually nothing other than what I am discovering here and from some additional readings).

I appreciate your posts here!
Old 03-06-2021, 02:10 PM
Master
NICE COMMENT

When Modern Day Spiritualism began, it was spawned by what was going on which later became the 'history' of Modern Day Spiritualism. That 'information' spread like wild fire. It should be noted, that the area where Modern Day Spiritualism began, spawned numerous other religions. That region was known as the Burned-over District, a word coined by Charles Finney. Finney was not a 'funny' guy but a staunch believer in many ideas which many of us today resonate with. No wonder he led the way in the Second Great Awakening.

Old 03-06-2021, 02:17 PM
Master
Christianity had its John the Baptist and Modern Day Spiritualism had their 'John the Baptist', who was Andrew Jackson Davis.

If you examine the date for the beginning of Modern Day Spiritualism, there is controversy when it began. Some claim it began on the eve of March 31, 1848 whereas some 'authorities' claim it began exactly 2 years prior. The 1848 date is the correct date. What would be interesting is to 'discover' how the 1846 date got inserted into some of Modern Day Spiritualism's history.

And then, about 2 years after Modern Day Spiritualism began, Spiritism began. Allan Kardec claimed Spiritists are all Spiritualists but not all Spiritualists are Spiritists which distinguished that they were not the same, at least in his life time.

Old 03-06-2021, 02:47 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjob
EXCERPT:Comparative religion is fine for those who are interested but it's not the province of this thread.
The title of this thread is SPIRITIST OR SPIRITUALIST which is in of it self comparing two religions.
Would you not agree?

Closed Thread