Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 20-07-2011, 12:47 PM
lemmiwinks89

how much do i really need to sleep ?

Hello everybody,

i run my my own company which is very, very busy and demands alot from me at any given hours. No matter, i still find 1 hour to meditate in the morning and 1 mour at night. i started off at 10 minutes morning and 10 mins night. I have succeded in improving my concentration. the only thing is, i am trying to learn french within 3 monts. just basic lingual skills for everyday conversation. this isnt to say wether its possible or not, it is, my friend learnt the language to a good point in 6 months, where he didnt need to mix english words with his french sentences. if i could stay awake for 24 hours i would and i could just do soooooooo much more. i know people like buddha boy can not eat or sleep for months on end and feed off the air. do i really need to have a 7 hour sleep a day. is something like 3 hours or 4 hours enough ? ive read stories about people saying 1 minute less then a 7 hour sleep your body will suffer. i dont want that to happen, but at the same time i want to have as little sleep as i can so i have more time to self develop.

i just want to become the best person i can become, hard work and effort is nothing to me because i dont want but need this and in as much of a short time as possible.

Any help is appreciated,

Thankyou, Lemmiwinks.
Old 20-07-2011, 01:34 PM
moke64916

There are different LEVELS of sleep. It occurs in a 7-8 hour sleep period. So if you get 4 hours of sleep, you will miss a cycle of sleep that was needed. Plus you will feel like ****. The only thing keeping you awake for a 24 hour period is thinking. After 24 hours of sleep loss, your thinking becomes delusional. You might say or write something in your business that may sound crazy, but you are not aware of it. Every three days you can get about 4 hours of sleep and be fine. But I'll tell you, I have been struggling with sleep issues all my life. And if I wake up at 12:30 A.M. By the time 4:00P.M. comes around my thinking could be delusional. I am aware of that though. So on those days I have learned not to trust what I am thinking for that it could be false. I'd stick with the 7 hours of sleep if I were you. There are several stages of sleep we go into throughout the night. If you miss one of those cycles repeatedly, it can cause problems in the long run.
Old 20-07-2011, 01:35 PM
moke64916

And you are more prone to illness. You will feel physically sick without sleep. It's just not fun.
Old 20-07-2011, 01:40 PM
SerpentQueen

Everyone is different. Best way to determine how much sleep you personally need is to go on vacation for a week or two, and do not set your alarm. The first couple of days your body will be adjusting, so ignore those days. The rest of the week -- when do you naturally wake up, without an alarm? Take note, that is how much sleep you need.

Personally, I have discovered I do best with no less than 9 hours of sleep. Yes, I can operate on half that or even no sleep. But 9 hours is optimal. Unfortunately, I'm a night person so it's useless to try to force myself to get to bed anytime before 11 or 12 pm. I have rearranged my work life so I do not need to wake up by an alarm. I hate alarm clocks. There is nothing worse than an alarm clock.

Last night I got a full 9 hours and I woke up with the distinct remembrance that something -- some beings? -- were "working" on me all through the night. They were constructing a pure white dragon within me. This morning I feel different, like something new has been installed.
Old 20-07-2011, 02:33 PM
moke64916

If I don't fall asleep by 3:00A.M. I stay up for the rest of the day, otherwise my sleep schedule will be screwed up. I take lunesta to fall asleep. I fall asleep around 10:30P.M. and wake up every morning without an alarm clock at 6:30A.M. We all may be different, but we all get the same sleep cycles. And if you keep someone awake more than 96 hours they will get delusional. The military says a soldier is inoperable after 96 hours of wake time. They give some soldiers Provigil to stay awake. I used to be prescibed to that. It works on your edrinaline glands. You will feel awake no matter how much sleep you have lost. You can stay up for days and still have the same energy level. I didn't do that, but soldiers and Air Force pilots do. Some, not all.
Old 20-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Master
i'm lucky to get 4 or 5 hours of sleep a night. i function alright.
Old 20-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internal Queries
i'm lucky to get 4 or 5 hours of sleep a night. i function alright.

Hey, we'll be the judge of that, lol

I heard between 6 and 8 hours is best, also that if you have more than 8, there is a higher risk of getting dimensia when your older.

It might just be an urban myth, idk.

Last edited by Lazarus72 : 20-07-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 20-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Master
I need 9 hours please and thank you or Kaere is a grumpy spaced out zombie. I don't get 9 hours very often... might explain why the villagers go running in fear when I head out to the grocery store.

Old 20-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Master
It varies from person to person and also from old to young. Older people (according to my Pysch. prof at any rate) need less sleep apparently.

My personal good amount all things on balance is at least 5 hours. 4 is not enough, 5 is for me, although 6 or 7 would probably be better. There are times when i get much more, and it should be taken into consideration your overall sleep per week. If you get 3 hours of sleep for monday and tuesday, it would be adviseable to get as much as possible for wednesday.

Enough sleep is very important, maybe the most important thing. If i do not get enough sleep, if i have 2 & a half hours the night before, things start going wrong for me. I make mistakes at work, get angry, am less effective overall and things in my life will tend to fall apart. Sleep is vital. I suggest if you can, find your comfortable range. Fall asleep when your tired, get up when you wake up, and judge for yourself what is an optimal amount of time.

5 hours is sufficient for me. More might be better, but 5 is my bottom line. 4 and i start losing my edge, and notice the detrimental effects. 5 at least for me. It also may depend on my personal energy levels and cycle of what im going through, what is happening, how im feeling at that point in my life.

I believe that what you need really is to get to REM sleep, and that requires a certain amount of time, in order to go through the different stages of sleep. 1 or 2 or even 3 hours i don't think is ever sufficient over any sustained period of time, it will take its toll on you, then again we are all different- however we all need a certain amount of REM sleep to function properly and optimally.
Old 20-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Master
because i dont want but need this

May I ask why?
James