Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 18-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Topology

What kind of Intentional Community do you want to live in?

Have you thought about what kind of intentional community you would like to live in?

A friend of mine would buy up two city blocks facing each other and tear down a house to set up a park and garden and have all our friends live around each other.

I'd love to live more in the country where there are no noise ordinances and the open air is pure. Bonfires, Drum circles, and just the vibration of nature all around. 100 Acres or so, and a group of people wanting to work the land or provide a service to the greater community at large. I'd love to facilitate a retreat center where people go to practice and learn energy work and shedding the stress and baggage of living in cities.

I'm really a communal creature. Even if I stay in the city, I'd love to get a really large house, lots of rooms, and co-habitate with people. It would be fun if we were all working on projects together or working a shared business, and we were all oriented towards caring for each other's spirits.
Old 18-07-2011, 09:48 PM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

Check this out.. http://zendik.org/index.html

Be well..
Old 18-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Topology

Quote:
Originally Posted by TzuJanLi
Greetings..

Check this out.. http://zendik.org/index.html

Be well..

Have you spent time on that farm, with the people? What were your experiences?
Old 18-07-2011, 10:15 PM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topology
Have you spent time on that farm, with the people? What were your experiences?
The old farm was a collection of old and new farm and bunk-house style buildings just outside of Asheville, NC.. the people are of superior quality, challenging each other to realize excellence.. i haven't been to the new Farm, but the people make it work..

Be well..
Old 18-07-2011, 11:18 PM
LIFE

So...let's start a commune.

I just recently saw the documentary Commune, about Black Bear Ranch in Siskiyou County, California during the 60's. Very interesting...

A word of caution though, sometimes we communal idealists underestimate the potential for aggravation and annoyance that will certainly present itself when living with large groups of diverse people with strong personalities. This was touched upon in the film.

It's worth checking out for those so inclined...

Whenever I think of communes , I get this song in my head:

Boards of Canada- In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country

"Come out and live with a religious community in a beautiful place out in the country."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVWcptE6UAI
Old 18-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Topology

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFE
So...let's start a commune.

I'm game. :) Just need to find enough people that want to do it and hammer out a template of ethics, responsibilities, etc. etc. Re-engineer a society from the ground up.

For instance, any laws created would have to have a sunset period and be re-voted on to maintain. Laws that don't work expire instead of becoming vestigal and stagnating.

Quote:
I just recently saw the documentary Commune, about Black Bear Ranch in Siskiyou County, California during the 60's. Very interesting...

A word of caution though, sometimes we communal idealists underestimate the potential for aggravation and annoyance that will certainly present itself when living with large groups of diverse people with strong personalities. This was touched upon in the film.

It's worth checking out for those so inclined...

That is why each person must agree to a code of conduct. I've also got a meeting format that I intuited to work through a lot of that ****. But essentially everyon has to agree on finding a way of working together in order to occupy the same space. Have to have protocols for interpersonal disputes. Have to have a way of dissolving mixed assets fairly when one person wants to leave (or is asked to leave).

Quote:
Whenever I think of communes , I get this song in my head:

Boards of Canada- In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVWcptE6UAI

Got a sample of it off Amazon, work doesn't allow Youtube viewing. Very Keyboardy. :)

I'm half arab. I just need a tribe of people who are open to each other.
Old 19-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Eudaimonist

Quote:
Have you thought about what kind of intentional community you would like to live in?

I would rather not live in an intentional community. I would rather belong to organizations that are spread out in terms of space.

That would make it easier for me to cut my ties with such organizations if I wish to leave. I wouldn't have to change my residence just to leave the organization.

And I would likely get ticked off by someone voting in "codes of conduct" that I would have to obey. I value organizations, but I am an individualist, and I need my privacy and my freedom.
Old 19-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Master
There is an old quote ...

"Individuals can ... they can ... survive without organizations. Organizations cannot survive without individuals, and the most effective organizations are assemblies of individuals who assert their own private power in a group, and do not seek to hide within it" ...

I am thinking market gardening would be the extent of my involvement in an intentional community. I like the idea of sharing the fruits of combined labor / effort, however i think i would struggle to conform to codes of behavior which were not tailored by, and to suit my own ego I mean needs hahaha only joking of course ....

I have lived on a farm for 20 odd years and for a good part of that, shared a 5 acre garden with neighbors ... the late afternoons sitting round a fire watching the sun set was a wonderful part of it not to mention the produce we lovingly nurtured and sold to 'make an honest dollar' lol ... it wasn't enough to keep a family though unfortunately ... but ... the quality of life for my children (and self) was worth the poverty, while it lasted .... it is one thing money cant buy ...
Old 19-07-2011, 11:14 AM
not human

http://www.thevenusproject.com

This wouldn't be my utopian dream community but if we continue to live an urban existance then this would do me
Old 19-07-2011, 01:46 PM
moke64916

Quote:

A friend of mine would buy up two city blocks facing each other and tear down a house to set up a park and garden and have all our friends live around each other.

I'd love to live more in the country where there are no noise ordinances and the open air is pure. Bonfires, Drum circles, and just the vibration of nature all around. 100 Acres or so, and a group of people wanting to work the land or provide a service to the greater community at large. I'd love to facilitate a retreat center where people go to practice and learn energy work and shedding the stress and baggage of living in cities.

I'm really a communal creature. Even if I stay in the city, I'd love to get a really large house, lots of rooms, and co-habitate with people. It would be fun if we were all working on projects together or working a shared business, and we were all oriented towards caring for each other's spirits.
Are you a real estate agent? lol. No, but that would be cool. There is a lot of that in the upper east coast with races. The italians, Jamaicans, Irish, Etc.