Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 19-05-2017, 11:02 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
Now is NOT the only reality, for most 'now' is the only part of reality they can affect. The point is to stay within the part of reality where you can take action (and affect things). To 'be' in other parts of reality is a waste of resources and a distraction from what you can do.

Best is to work out what is 'now' and live there always. That completely avoids the ineffective situation where you have to work out the now while in a crises situation.

As one learns/grows, their 'now' expands too.

Why is Now not the only reality?

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 19-05-2017, 11:55 PM
Suspended
Guide
Hello,
I think in the now is really being content,satisfied with the/your status quo,like a Master who is neither happy or sad,wealthy or dirt poor,or is indifferent to suffering and pain, these ideas do not exist when you are " in the now "

Kind Regards Billy.
Old 20-05-2017, 03:14 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamit
The beauty of hereness or The Now as some famously call it, is that it is impossible not to be in the now if the now is the only reality. Thinking or having feelings about the past or future happen in the now. There is nowhere else for those thoughts or feelings to arise. So spiritual paths and/or practises striving to be in the now as opposed to somewhere else:) are misleading. What a relief that is! Imagine having to work out whether you are in the now or not while you are falling over a cliff or enjoying your breakfast:)
I don't really think about being in the 'now'. I just let it all go with an affirmation:

Old 20-05-2017, 05:32 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesflow
Yes very true.
What you like isn't true because you like it.
Old 20-05-2017, 06:16 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamit
Of course there may be some who do not regard 'now' as the only reality and believe one can somehow be 'in' the past or the future, that the past or the future are somehow happening now! There is a whole spiritual path based on that with a practise that claims to move one 'into' The Now from somewhere that is not the now.

Where is the the past and the future you call the other part of reality that is not the now? All that we can say about that is that we have our memories of the past and our imaginings about the future right here in the now but never actually experience either because by definition they are never happening 'now'.
First, time only applies to a tiny portion of reality. When I say there is more to reality than now, I am mostly referring to to parts out side of time, not so much to the 'past' and 'future'.

To get a better understanding about 'Where is the the past and the future', use 'here' as an analogy. You are standing on a road in a spot you refer to as 'here'. The rest of the road is still around at the same moment but as a human you don't have access to it. Sure perhaps you can remember being on different spots on the road you 'once' called 'here'. Likely you will be in other spots on the road you will 'then' call 'here'. But 'here' has no impact on the existence of the road, its only a spot you refer. The entire road exists independent of you or your label. If you happen to be near a hairpin in the road it might be possible to straddle the median and be in two spots on the road simultaneously. Still this has no implications on the presence of the entire road. 'Now' is exactly like 'here' but with one extra (time) dimension.
Old 20-05-2017, 06:24 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesflow
Why is Now not the only reality?
Because the 'now' of one thing (includes a being) is not the 'now' for another. Those other things are just as much a part of reality as each other.

In less abstract terms, I have a 'now' and you have a 'now' but they are not the same 'now'. Yet each of us has presence simultaneously. Still everyone's 'now' together is but a tiny portion of reality.

The universe is truly expansive, most of it essentially unoccupied (no 'things' there).
Old 20-05-2017, 11:12 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
First, time only applies to a tiny portion of reality. When I say there is more to reality than now, I am mostly referring to to parts out side of time, not so much to the 'past' and 'future'.

To get a better understanding about 'Where is the the past and the future', use 'here' as an analogy. You are standing on a road in a spot you refer to as 'here'. The rest of the road is still around at the same moment but as a human you don't have access to it. Sure perhaps you can remember being on different spots on the road you 'once' called 'here'. Likely you will be in other spots on the road you will 'then' call 'here'. But 'here' has no impact on the existence of the road, its only a spot you refer. The entire road exists independent of you or your label. If you happen to be near a hairpin in the road it might be possible to straddle the median and be in two spots on the road simultaneously. Still this has no implications on the presence of the entire road. 'Now' is exactly like 'here' but with one extra (time) dimension.

Its a different point which does not relate to the now point but out of interest are you saying it is possible (for a person lets say) to be in 2 places at once?

Yes its clearer to refer to NOW as the present moment is time. So by definition of the terms being used it would not be possible to be in a past or future moment in time. The former has gone and the latter isn't here (or now:) yet so the NOW is all there is left available to be in unless you have in mind somewhere else in time that is available that is not NOW.

Why do I get the feeling that you are about to suggest just that:)

Interesting exchange. Thanks.
Old 20-05-2017, 11:28 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake
Hello,
I think in the now is really being content,satisfied with the/your status quo,like a Master who is neither happy or sad,wealthy or dirt poor,or is indifferent to suffering and pain, these ideas do not exist when you are " in the now "

Kind Regards Billy.

Worrying about your status quo would also occur in the present moment (NOW) you were doing that worrying would it not?

I don't mean to denigrate the practise that is advocated to get oneself into the NOW from wherever else one feels one might be (or have been told that they could be in), but merely to suggest to seekers that they are not somehow lacking if they have not achieved that yet and received the official stamp on the forehead which reads "permanently in the now".

Because there is a whole other view which suggests that the present moment (NOW) is all there is to be in and to be out of it is impossible, so none of us are lacking in that respect.
Old 20-05-2017, 11:33 AM
Master
There is really no such thing as the now.

Even if we break each second down to milliseconds and nanoseconds, every moment has either passed or is yet to come.

If there is such thing as the now, it will be to exist outside of time itself, where there is no past, present or future.

Such a state of awareness is only possible after one has attained samadhi.
Old 20-05-2017, 11:38 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Necromancer
There is really no such thing as the now.

Even if we break each second down to milliseconds and nanoseconds, every moment has either passed or is yet to come.

If there is such thing as the now, it will be to exist outside of time itself, where there is no past, present or future.

Such a state of awareness is only possible after one has attained samadhi.
Other schools of thought would say that there is only the now, and that time is a human construct.

For me, 'The Now' is the ever-present space of awareness in which all phenomena (ie anything that can be perceived) arise and fall away.