Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Films

Old 19-04-2021, 02:38 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliorate
The Tree Of Life Well, managed to stay with and see the first part. Beautifully shot but badly in need of editing, i.e. pace far too slow with not sufficient content to engage the viewer. I admit I'm not exactly a fan of Nicole Kidman (which probably doesn't help!)

I have since read reviews - apparently many people walked out due to the storyline not being sufficiently engaging.

Anyone else see this and stayed for the 2nd part? Apparently it's about loss and, having come through a pandemic for over a year, I had no appetite for that particular theme.
I have watched the whole thing in one sitting without issue. I think some people just cannot watch slow movies easily. Not that it's a bad thing, but not a reason to dismiss a movie, either. I found it very engaging, making me mentally-pause and think about things throughout and giving me the time to do that without missing anything. I never had to stop the movie or break it up into smaller viewing segments.

If you ever want to test your ability to sit through a slow-paced movie without pausing it or watching in shorter pieces later, try the original Russian version of Solaris. Three hours long and mind-blowing from a psychological perspective. It's also possibly the slowest pacing of any movie I've seen. Yet I still found it compelling and fascinating
Old 20-04-2021, 11:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjhan
If you ever want to test your ability to sit through a slow-paced movie without pausing it or watching in shorter pieces later, try the original Russian version of Solaris. Three hours long and mind-blowing from a psychological perspective. It's also possibly the slowest pacing of any movie I've seen. Yet I still found it compelling and fascinating
Love Andrei Tarkovsky's films, they do tend test your attention-span but they can also penetrate your soul if you stick with them I rewatched 'Solaris' a whille back, and what struck me about it was just how quiet it is, there's very little by way of a score - I liked that about it, really gave it a meditative quality I thought.
Old 21-04-2021, 11:28 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by A human Being
Love Andrei Tarkovsky's films, they do tend test your attention-span but they can also penetrate your soul if you stick with them I rewatched 'Solaris' a whille back, and what struck me about it was just how quiet it is, there's very little by way of a score - I liked that about it, really gave it a meditative quality I thought.
I'm trying to remember if I've seen any other Tarkovsky films. Looking him up on IMDb I see that I haven't, but now have a list to use for searching :)

You're right about Solaris being quiet. I like that in contemplative type films, too. Tree of Life brought up my comparison for such films and as I recall, its soundtrack was not up-front and over-overpowering like so many modern films.

Now I'm going to have to search my Roku for whatever Tarkovsky films are available
Old 21-04-2021, 01:58 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjhan
I'm trying to remember if I've seen any other Tarkovsky films. Looking him up on IMDb I see that I haven't, but now have a list to use for searching :)

You're right about Solaris being quiet. I like that in contemplative type films, too. Tree of Life brought up my comparison for such films and as I recall, its soundtrack was not up-front and over-overpowering like so many modern films.

Now I'm going to have to search my Roku for whatever Tarkovsky films are available
Ooh you're in for a treat if any other Tarkovsky films are available, he really is the most wonderful film-maker All his films are worth a watch, though I especially like 'Mirror' and 'Stalker'.

'Tree of Life' is one of those films I've been meaning to watch for the longest time, I really must watch it sometime.
Old 24-04-2021, 09:39 AM
Guide
Question

A Walk In The Woods - a biographical film about Bill Bryson (past his prime) attempting the Appalachian trail with his eccentric friend, Katz. An ageing Robert Redford plays Bill and Nick Nolte plays Katz.

Billed as 4 stars, barely deserves 3 stars in my view. Fairly mediocre for the most part. Billed as a comedy drama it was occasionally smile raising. Katz was the more interesting character.
Old 24-04-2021, 03:03 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciona
Aquaman and I loved it.

Aquaman sure did grow up a bit. Lol.
Old 24-04-2021, 05:40 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitterRose
Aquaman sure did grow up a bit. Lol.

Yes, he certainly did

Lol...

https://youtu.be/1q-k1Ev8fVc
Old 26-04-2021, 03:59 AM
Deactivated Account
The Dressmaker (not Kate Winslet)

Gotta love them horrid hypocritical Brits

Old 28-04-2021, 02:37 AM
Deactivated Account
Predestination

Spoiler alert

Always report your un-decommisioned time machine and don't blame others for what you're not willing to do for yourself.

Save yourself a lot of grief

Old 28-04-2021, 12:14 PM
Seeker

Godzilla Vs. Kong

Entertaining popcorn flick, some of the world-building they tried to do just seemed really bizarre to me. Like did anyone else wonder if Kong's ancestors were really intelligent and skilled with that temple they built? Regardless, still a fun watch.