Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 03-10-2022, 01:03 PM
Pathfinder
Can we choose our emotions or do they just happen?

Whilst I believe our emotions are mostly spontaneous, there are also triggers behind it linked to our personality.
For example, a sensitive person that often feels lonely and needs company to feel happy, will become sad if they go to the cinema alone.
Therefore, the emotion is not really controlled but there is an explicable trigger behind it.
With some practice of various kinds people may try to obtain some control over these triggers, the same way that therapeutic sessions work.
For different individuals the approach may be unique, such as meditation or over-exposure to the trigger, or contemplation over the issue to come to peace with it. Sadly, in many cases people may not be able to achieve such control so easily.
Exactly due to the reason that sometimes triggers tend to be provoked by essential and unalterable parts of us, this is why we say that emotions just happen.
For a super merciful person, the vision of slaughtering a chicken cannot simply become desensitized.
Maybe it is that deep inside, we like who we are, even if we do not like the exact result at times.
I wouldn't change my own sensitivity because I like myself exactly because I have deeper appreciation of thins. So, even if I get sad easily, I do not want it exactly to change. Maybe to eradicate the most toxic and useless triggers and preserve the ones that make me proud of myself. Therefore, I don't want to stop mourning for chickens, even if it makes me feel sad. But I would like to stop overthinking about the next working day.
So maybe it is mostly about finding an own method to control the toxic tendencies but sometimes it may be so difficult to accomplish it!
Life lessons and life situations do often change us in a certain direction but is the process controllable or does it happen naturally? Particular situations hit a certain chord and the emitted note builds the result as an independent process. You don't really decide how your thought will alter your face mimics, but you can contemplate yourself, practice intent, observe the result and control the direction. Usually you will like the result of a correct intent, just as you'd like the result of fitness efforts.
Of course we don't really decide how to react essentially, just as we cannot control the vital force behind hair growth.
But just as we can use hair products to accelerate the hair growth, it may be useful to observe and keep track of what is going on in our lives, observe the current lesson life is trying to teach us and take at least SOME action.
Finding the meaning of life and working on bettering ourselves comes hand by hand.
Whatever determines the direction of this process is entirely based on fundamental beliefs, personal traits, life values and understanding of the universe.
Old 03-10-2022, 04:37 PM
Master
Emotions are there for us to grow- they take us through the terms of life and reincarnation… fundamental that’s all we living for- once you live you have to die- life is but a grievance and in time we become content with it all at peace but not before the turbulent and triggers…

I think a lot what you said about getting through it: but sometimes it’s best to ride it out…

Arabic first language (English)—- bear with me and please be patient)
Old 03-10-2022, 07:44 PM
Knower

In cognitive behavioral therapy, the model is that stimuli trigger thoughts and thoughts trigger emotions which lead to behaviors. That being said, the idea is that there is a space between where we can step in, re center ourselves, and make a decision about how we want to react to the thought. The key to changing our emotions then becomes changing our thoughts. If we focus more on the positive, practice self compassion, and change patterns of thought around
problem areas in our life, then we naturally begin to feel differently about life circumstances and situations that we find ourselves in repeatedly. This information comes from my time spent in therapy over the years. I can’t decide whether you believe or not, but it’s a respected model among psychotherapists.

For example, killing the chicken. One might think, “this is inhumane!” And feel sad for the chicken. However, one could see a chicken killed and decide to think differently, saying internal “this is the circle of life. I am grateful to the chicken for its sacrifice.” This could trigger a feeling of gratitude, wonder, or respect for the chicken over repeated exposures.

I have had a hard time accepting this model in my life because it seems to center on the rational parts of the brain, a typical western pitfall. However, combined with meditation, which can soothe the centers of feeling in our bodies, allow us to remain grounded, and centered within ourself as opposed to pushed around and buffeted by strong emotions, I have found it instructive and helpful. Just my two cents.

Love and light your way,

FoxTracks
Old 03-10-2022, 09:06 PM
Emotions, like thoughts, are like birds flying over head...you might not be able to control them,
but you certainly can control them not making a nest in your hair.

Paraphrase of a quote.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 03-10-2022, 10:31 PM
Master
Like Abrahams always says, focus.
You can focus your thoughts and emotions. You can choose. You just got to learn to become aware every time you have negative thoughts or emotions and refocus them.
It's training yourself to think and feel different which is possible. Depending on how negative you are it takes more or less time, but it can be done.
Old 03-10-2022, 11:11 PM
Thumbs up

Excerpt
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyCrystal
You can focus your thoughts and emotions.
You just got to learn to become aware every time you have negative thoughts or emotions and refocus them.
It's training yourself to think and feel different which is possible.
Boy, do I know THIS! Been practicing Thought Control for over a decade.
It sure gets easier...remembering thoughts really effect our emotions.

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 04-10-2022, 05:08 AM
Master
On one hand thoughts do generate emotions, but on the other hand emotions can exist without thoughts.
A baby cries because it is uncomfortable, that baby is not thinking about being uncomfortable as they may
not have yet developed the capacity to think, nonetheless crying is an emotional response.

Thought is closely connected to language. People generally think in their native tongue. A baby develops
thought along with language skills, regardless they still have emotional responses to stimuli even if they have
no or low thought capacity.

Emotions are visceral, they relate to deep inward feelings and not just the intellect. Most emotions come
from subconscious feelings that we may not be consciously aware of. They may be a subconscious conditioned
response or a conscious interpretation that generates a feeling.

So what is the difference between an emotion and a feeling? Feelings we experience consciously while
emotions are unconscious manifestations. All of our senses, including our ability to feel, are based on our
sense of touch. What we are in touch with we feel, we hear, we see, we smell, we taste. Touch is the
primordial sensation which gives us, what we call, experience.
Old 04-10-2022, 07:15 AM
Thumbs up

Excerpt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
So what is the difference between an emotion and a feeling?
Feelings we experience consciously while emotions are unconscious manifestations.
Oh! That has been brought up before on Forums...this seems like a clear explanation. Thanks.

Old 04-10-2022, 08:45 AM
Administrator
I would agree with Starman on a side note Emotions can also be repressed
it is only when something else happens that triggers the repressed Emotion to come to the fore,
Haven't you heard people say I'm crying but i don't know why?

Namaste
Old 04-10-2022, 09:49 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
ExcerptBoy, do I know THIS! Been practicing Thought Control for over a decade.
It sure gets easier...remembering thoughts really effect our emotions.
I prefer to call it feeling happy. Emphasis on feeling.
You can do that with your thoughts.
Just the phrase 'thought control' tends to make me shiver, hihi.
Sometimes it works by putting on music that you love and makes you feel great. Then your thoughts automatically shift as well.
So many things you can do to change the pattern, but I do think the best way to start is by making the choice. Deciding you no longer wish to be or feel negative.

Of late I've been doing a lot of energy work, 45-50 min energy sessions by Paige Apgar. (YouTube). You then work with grounding via various meridians, flushing meridians, bringing in fresh energy, neurolymphatic points etc. etc.
I've done such a session each day for some 2 weeks, right now a little less frequent. I can tell you they're such a treat!!
I always feel so good afterwards, and yes, it can help shift your thoughts & feelings since you clear so incredibly much.

Couple years ago it was listening to Peter Gabriel's Secret World Live tour. I often watched it too (YouTube) as the vibe between the band members is such a joy to see.

Another one that works a treat IF you do it daily for at least a while... what Joe Dispenza teaches: before you get up think of 4 things you do not want to feel or think anymore the coming day. Be very specific and clear as that trains the brain to notice when you are feeling/thinking these things. Becoming aware helps to change it round.
Then 4 things you do want to feel & think & experience. Again be specific.

To aid that, I've also recorded audio on my phone to go to sleep with. Short positive statements about me. Much repetition. The statements must be true otherwise it doesn't work. Play that when you are in bed so you take it in when you're going into Theta as it then gets into the subconscious.
First few nights is odd as you seem to actively listen but that gets better. After that I woke up with the exact same positive statements in my mind!! And with that, a happy start of the day that did last throughout.
Reprogramming your own subconscious brain :)

Stick notes everywhere around your home with the same statements.

So much that can help and it all is easy to do, cheap, and works to shift emotions and thought patterns.

No matter what I did or do, it begins with a choice. Deciding I want to feel good. Then choosing how I'm gonna go about it.