Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 20-04-2021, 12:15 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
I did not take offence at the statement regarding spiritual seekers being failures in society.

I never thought you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
But your comment above (in bold) is actually quite different to the original comment which has produced these various responses. If you had said this in the first place then perhaps we would all have agreed with you.

Peace

Some got so hung up on "failures in society" comment that i felt the need to elaborate on just that. As if they completely ignored; "misfits, loners, and introverts." Even the so called successful people in life can be those things and feel like a failure at times. So many celebrities' can and have sunk into depression, and drug addictions, leading towards suicide. They can turn towards religion and spirituality as a way to fill an empty void. To re-establish, reinvent themselves.

Last edited by ocean breeze : 20-04-2021 at 01:33 AM.
Old 20-04-2021, 06:44 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean breeze
What better motivation?

There appears to be a lack of comprehension as i got the impression people might have took that comment personally or thought i speak for the majority. Which is expected here. I did enjoy people's reply to that comment especially when they share a personal experience. But i did feel your comment (and the one above) was passive aggressive. Perhaps i struck a raw nerve.

On the contrary. I actually viewed your comment about people drawn to the spiritual path being "failures of society" as a projection related to the types of spiritual circles that you frequent and the types of "spiritual" people with whom you associate.

Your perception that you may have "struck a raw nerve" with me is about as far removed from reality as your initial comment.
Old 21-04-2021, 12:20 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters

Your perception that you may have "struck a raw nerve" with me is about as far removed from reality as your initial comment.

My initial comment is this: Naturally i feel introverts, loners, misfits, and failures in society will be drawn towards spirituality (or internet forums for that matter). Gives them a sense of personal identity and belonging. If you truly believe that never applied to anyone in life then you are far removed from reality. Otherwise how can it be far removed from reality when it has been people's reality? Even if it were just a few. When a person is offended it shows in their constant resistance and lack of thought put into their post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
On the contrary. I actually viewed your comment about people drawn to the spiritual path being "failures of society" as a projection related to the types of spiritual circles that you frequent and the types of "spiritual" people with whom you associate.

You took a part and made it into a whole which displays a lack of comprehension. If you disagree with my perception you can at least be mature about it and bring up valid points as others on here have done.

In reference to original post has anyone ever heard of Osho's meditation retreat? He often combined movement, and dance meditation with silent meditation. Sometimes having separate classes for each and other times combining them together. I felt this was a wise idea on his part understanding the different personality types in a person's quest. He very much embraced such diversity. Offering different types of meditations suitable for each individual. It may be rare to find someone or someplace like that now a days.
Old 21-04-2021, 07:19 AM
Master
I think it's totally cool what you said, Ocean, regardless of the 'intention'. People are all so sensitive these days, so easily ''offended'', so many people have been trained to sniff out what is deemed ''offensive''. It's good to have people around that shake things up a bit, offer a different view and make others pause and think.

There's definitely far more introverts on internet forums and communities. Extroverts are more likely to not develop an identity on the internet but instead go here and there. Us introverts are just more likely to be a bunch of couch potatoes. Sitting on one's **** cross legged for hours or days/weeks at a retreat is definitely the stuff of introverts. But does that make us more spiritual? I would say no.
Old 21-04-2021, 07:26 AM
Elfin

It's all mind over matter....X
Old 21-04-2021, 09:50 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
I believe modern spirituality - catering a lot to singles, housewives, voluntary celibates and highly individualistic people - has an inbuilt arrogance in that it assumes it is the most spiritual, when in fact, it is just one path amongst many others. The arrogance returns every time self-proclaimed 'spiritual' folks ridicule and bash ''religion'', whereas their own spiritual path is presented as more genuine.
Nothing has changed since the days of hunter-gatherers, what has changed is the people. And sometimes people are just people, man. Spirituality is no different to any other collective and every collective is in a symbiotic relationship with the people in it. While people are attracted to Spirituality for any number of reasons they also 'shape' Spirituality in their own ways every time they make a post in this forum, for instance. This forum is a subset of Spirituality and given a different forum with different people, the Spirituality within would be different.

While Myers-Briggs is a good start its also worth looking at Maslo's Hierarchy of Needs and how Spirituality fit's into that pyramid towards self realisation. Oops, another term Spirituality has borrowed from somewhere else and called it its own.

The real question - and considering self-awareness is a staple - is what do people/I get out of it?
Old 21-04-2021, 10:00 AM
Master
Quote:
I think it's totally cool what you said, Ocean, regardless of the 'intention'. People are all so sensitive these days, so easily ''offended'', so many people have been trained to sniff out what is deemed ''offensive''. It's good to have people around that shake things up a bit, offer a different view and make others pause and think.

I agree. Though not many pause and think but instead react and try to conceal their reactions. I usually assume the quieter ones are the more reflective and contemplative.

Quote:

There's definitely far more introverts on internet forums and communities. Extroverts are more likely to not develop an identity on the internet but instead go here and there. Us introverts are just more likely to be a bunch of couch potatoes. Sitting on one's **** cross legged for hours or days/weeks at a retreat is definitely the stuff of introverts. But does that make us more spiritual? I would say no.

I agree. Meditating for hours doesn't make a person more or less spiritual than one who doesn't. I've heard people say they've meditated for 20, 30 years and they appear so wise and knowledgeable on the surface but yet still haven't grown up maturity wise. I've also known people who have never pursued spiritual practices yet posses a far greater range of understanding than the majority who have.

I'm definitely no couch potato. I don't think i can sit for hours crossed legged either. For an introvert i'm very outgoing and active. I think i can relate to many extrovert in that way. INFP are dreamers. Its interesting that i keep getting that on the personality test. I don't think these type of test are accurate. I'm more meditative when i'm running, shadowboxing, or training.
Old 21-04-2021, 04:58 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean breeze
My initial comment is this: [i]Naturally i feel introverts, loners, misfits, and failures in society will be drawn towards spirituality (or internet forums for that matter).

Perhaps the word some can be used when making such blanket statements? It would help me a little when thinking through some of your comments, which I usually try to do. In this case I felt your initial comment was too broad based, although I agree with you it is up to anyone who takes issue with it to seek their own clarification. In my case I was just tired of what I feel are disparate generalizations, but just to be clear about myself I wasn't all that concerned with it either, was just sharing my own opinion on the matter as you often do. I actually didn't even realize you were the one who said it until afterwards.

Just wanted to say that...and don't argue with me ...j/k

https://youtu.be/1q-k1Ev8fVc
Old 21-04-2021, 05:01 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfin
It's all mind over matter....X

What is?

https://youtu.be/1q-k1Ev8fVc
Old 21-04-2021, 07:30 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciona
Perhaps the word some can be used when making such blanket statements? It would help me a little when thinking through some of your comments, which I usually try to do.

Actually felt my comment might have reflected the majority or at least a good portion. I don't mind people disagreeing or sharing their experiences which reflect the opposite. Its actually a good thing. But i'm kinda liking the blanket statements. The reactions are quite interesting and revealing.

I did feel people got too caught up on "failures of society" and neglected the rest of the statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciona

Just wanted to say that...and don't argue with me ...j/k

You started it.